What's your favorite NYRB classic Veeky Forums? Looking to get some more as I've only read a couple

What's your favorite NYRB classic Veeky Forums? Looking to get some more as I've only read a couple

Hard mode: no Stoner

The Anatomy of Melancholy
On Being Blue
In the Heart of the Heart of the Country

maybe one day my book will be a newrib classic

Warlock
The Goshawk
Lucky Jim

Cafe of lost youth
the peregrine
Moravagine
Dirty snow
The summer book
The Long Ships

you'll be long dead user

Any mavis gallant

Hard Rain Falling
Warlock
The Rim of Morning
Notes on the Cinematograph

In the Heart of the Heart of the Country

Red dead redemption

Eve's Hollywood

I see anatomy of melancholy in shelf threads and recent purchase threads, and see it mentioned in nyrb threads, and after multiple attempts to learn about it I have not been able to get any more than the vaguesf, wiki-tier description of it.

I'm getting so annoyed that I'm started to suspect that nobody actually reads it or nobody understands it or it's not actually that good.

It's basically a 17th century encyclopedia about melancholy (ie depression). What's not to understand?

>I have not been able to get any more than the vaguesf, wiki-tier description of it.

>It's basically a 17th century encyclopedia about melancholy (ie depression). What's not to understand?

Do you see what I mean? This is like telling someone Plato is "basically a series of conversations about ethics and other subjects of philosophy." It tells me nothing about his style, his angle(s), his aims, etc. It doesn't even tell me if you like it or not, if you think it's worth reading or not, if you have any favorite passages that resonate with you for some reason and might convince me to pick up what I think might be the single longest book NYRB offers.

Skylark ;~;

why is there so much novels by Kingsley Amis?

Because they're typically short (just picked up one that's only like 110 pages) and from what I can tell aren't really published by anyone else anymore, which is nyrb's whole angle.

Also if you haven't read him yet, check him out; he's one of the funniest writers I've ever read. Had a great time with "lucky jim."

I haven't read many but I loved this one. No, I still cannot spell that name from memory.

I have in plan to read Lucky Jim.

I have two copies and I'm not certain I will ever read it. it's huge and very daunting, although im sure it could be very rewarding. It is, as the poster said, an encyclopedia of melancholy, full of essays about the different forms of melancholy. Supposedly Burton wrote it in an attempt to cure his own melancholy, but I've never heard whether it was successful. kind of a cult book I guess.

I think I've only read Stoner, Eileen Chang's Love in a Fallen City (which was just okay, but it was a translation from Chinese and I'm sure it lost a lot on the way), and Joyce Cary's Herself Surprised, which I highly recommend. While not superior to Stoner, it was every bit as good in my opinion.

I've also tried a couple of Ivy-Compton Burnetts,on the frequent recommendation of Robertson Davies, but I've never really enjoyed it.

Wait, Moravagine is in NYRB? I have the NYRB torrent that circulated a while ago and there is no Moravagine there. I've been looking forever for an ebook copy with no luck.

>Dirty snow
Is that a Maigret?

>I have two copies and I'm not certain I will ever read it. it's huge and very daunting
I think it's ok if you just read one of the copies.

How much do you get paid to constantly shill your shitty brand on a Rangoon radioplay relay chat?

hey there reddit

The Year of the French
The Battle for Egypt
Season of Migration to the North
The Siege of Krishnapur
A Savage War of Peace

Is Life & Fate any good?

Also OP cop In Parenthesis

That one was so much fun right until it got me right in the feels at the end.

it has great parts, but a tremendous amount revolves around a very boring family, aside from the father.

I did not expect the end.

t. uggo

nah

Most of my favorites are already listed but just wanted to add Morte d' Urban.

No, it's not. NYRB didn't publish anything from Maigret serial, and I don't think they will.

Is Cafe of lost youth better than Missing person?

Seconding 'The Long Ships'
It's a 10th century story of Vikings romping around on voyages. It is charmingly written, and full of charisma and humor.

Seconding this too. It's the story of a homey couple coming out of their shell when their only daughter leaves for a week long trip. It's quite heartfelt

I'd recommend Beware of Pity, by Stefan Zweig. It's a story about a small "gaffe" spiraling into a massive quagmire. Stefan Zweig is one of my favourite authors and his writing is so precise, he captures the human heart better than anyone else I've read.

Forgot to attach pic

Not an argument shill.

>shill
Why not just scream REEEEEEEEEEEE when people like something you don't like? And it's YOU who needs to provide an argument when YOU are the accuser. Idiot.

Read "beware of pity" recently and loved it, but the ending totally emotionally drained me. Will definitely be reading more Zweig; which novels would you recommend next? I also have his autobiography which I think I'll read after checking out 1-2 more novels of his.

>I'm getting so annoyed that I'm started to suspect that nobody actually reads it or nobody understands it or it's not actually that good.

its really not that great, gets boring quite fast

Good stuff that hasn't been mentioned:

Book of Ebenezer Le Page
Tenants of Moonbloom
The quest for Corvo
The big Clock
Black wings Has my angel
Fat City

Pages form the Goncourt journals––have not actually read this yet, but anticipate it will be excellent.

>quest for corvo
Have you read Hadrian VII?

>Book of Ebenezer Le Page
I started reading this and after about 80 pages I still don't really "get it." I think I see that it's supposed to be the portrait of a simple life, but it hasn't drawn me in. Does it change? Should I stick with it?

Have not read Hadrian VII. Probably will. From this letters he's a great writer, real funny.

As for Ebenezer Le Page, I loved it form the first page. Found it totally charming. Not really much to get. Probably worth giving it a go at a later point..

I just finished this one too recently and loved it as well, but I don't think he's done very much more. I think NYBR have that chess one which might be worth checking out. Either way beware of pity is likely to be one of my favourite books, although I don't feel I've read too much in general. Its just so emotional and so written nicely.

would also be interested in reading that book on the Brogias he wrote, but i dont think thats possible.

>the peregrine
I just finished Moby Dick. Will this be a disappointment compared to that? I've heard a lot about it tho.

confusion and the royal game

There's an In Our Time on it, if that helps you. I've never read it myself, nor own it.

I ask because (as I'm sure you know) "quest" was written in response to someone reading hadrian and being stunned that nobody had heard of its author. I haven't read Quest yet, but Hadrian is my favorite book. Did you say you read his letters? Were they in Quest or some other volume?

I could have sworn otherwise, but you're absolutely right; his bibliography is length but I just noticed that it's mostly novellas. I checked amazon and pushkin press seems to have a few nice loolimg collections of his stories.

Could probably find it on abebooks

Never heard of that, but I will definitely check it out. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

The whole Empire Trilogy by JG Farrell is great. Olivia Manning's Fortunes of War is also good.

It's brilliant. I can't recommend it enough.

It's a bird watchers journal. The descriptions and prose are what make it memorable. And the intensity of the author's obsession and misanthropy. There's no real plot. He looks for birds, finds them, observes them hunt. He describes the land, the weather and the hunt. Then he repeats it all over again repeatedly. Still prose wise he does not repeat himself. He always finds something new to say.

Thomas Mann's family used to sit around making fun of Zweig. Hermann Hesse also thought he was a joke.

I'm currently reading The Ice Trilogy by Vladimir Solokor. It's very strange but I'm enjoying it.

Lucky Jim made me laugh out loud while I was reading it.

The Foundation Pit is brilliant.

Symons, who wrote the book, was a collector and dealt in rare books. When he read Hadrian he was shocked by its quality and obscurity and decided to dig up info on its author. Thats pretty much how he came to write quest for corvo, which features a lot of his letters.

I assumed the Borgias book was long OOP, or like many of his works not properly released. Because he pretty much spoiled any working relationship he ever had. Hadrian in the book is some fantastical substitute for Rolfe himself, and is some fictional attempt to take revenge on all his "enemies."

Read:
Chess Story (or The Royal Game)

The Post-Office Girl (be warned, it reads like two distinct novels, the first half is downright wonderful)

His short story collection, of which Pushkin publishes a collection is also first rate. 'Amok' is a stand out. For anyone who enjoyed BoPity I highly recommend it

underrated post

just started reading this one yesterday, only about 40 pages in but I'm really liking it so far

It starts off with an epic poem and is semi-picaresque encyclopedia of depression.