Jane Austen could never resist a joke, even one about an acquaintance 'brought to bed yesterday of a dead child'...

>Jane Austen could never resist a joke, even one about an acquaintance 'brought to bed yesterday of a dead child', prematurely born because of a fright. Jane pretended to think the stillbirth was caused by the mother happening 'by chance to look at her husband'. This appalling sick joke has the power to make us wince, even today. Dead babies are not funny.

Damn, Jane Austen was a 4channer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BMVA3gy4vpo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pics or it didn't happen

hey man, she was just ahead of her time. a female modernist (urged through social pressures towards romanticism). It's fitting she would think like that.
I see your point though, we're pretty edgy over here and i guess maybe even avante-garde in a way.
if it weren't for all the self-serious, and outspoken fedoras we'd probably still have a decent rep.

Out of control banter

As someone who has witnessed the extremely powerful emotional distraught and despair that a miscarriage brings, it's definitely not something to joke about. The fact that Austen didn't feel so much as a pang of sorrow, but rather joke about it, is somewhat shocking. Even a sociopath would feign sadness and sympathy at such a tragic event. My honest guess is that Austen never fully developed emotionally or mentally and was stuck in a sort of twisted fantasy world that centered entirely around her. Only someone completely self absorbed could be so insensitive to the suffering of others.

lol grow a pair u fggnfag

Says the dumb frogposter

Say it to me face, laddies. I'll skullfuck you dead.

I always knew that woman had mad bantz, but damn, this is S A V A G E

Congrats, you just described women.

You can joke about anything. Nothing is off-limits.

Finding something funny/humorous is an instinct.

So if I beat the shit out of you, you wouldn't care if people found it funny?

> My honest guess is that Austen never fully developed emotionally or mentally and was stuck in a sort of twisted fantasy world that centered entirely around her.
Was it autism?

I think it was Ricky Gervais that said something like I like to test the boundaries of what people will laugh at. It's a thrill to see people laugh at what they thought they never would.

In a lot of ways comedy/satire/parody pushes the boundaries of socially accepted norms

It's irrelevant how I would feel about it.

>Died alone
>Was total banter
>Wrote cynical books
Was she /ourgirl/?

Irrelevant to what? Are you saying that you wouldn't mind if people laughed at you for being beaten up?

Austen is actually pretty amusing. I found myself chuckling a few times when I finally forced myself to read Pride and Prejudice.

It doesn't matter how I would feel about it, that doesn't influence them laughing at me being beaten up.

ur so dum

Her books are laced in irony that Americans just don't seem to comprehend. The first line of P&P for God's sake is as ironical as you can get.

>It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

It's one of the most famous opening lines in all of literature for a reason. It basically sets up the entire narrative as a satire.

Oh, I puked in my mouth.

I've been debating making that line my Tinder bio, or is that too gay?

Explain your post then:
>You can joke about anything. Nothing is off-limits.
If a statement of fact: there are plenty of things off limits to joke about in society.
If a moral proscription: you are dodging my initial point.

>You can joke about anything. Nothing is off-limits.
This is true, but in polite adult society, there are certain boundaries that you do not cross- joking about someone's miscarriage is one of them. The inability to discern what is acceptable to joke about and what isn't is a mark of autism.

That line seems more sarcastic than 'ironical'

>This is true, but in polite adult society,
This is not polite adult society. This is Veeky Forums.

And we all found it very funny.

'Wrong'.

>Who are you quoting?

>austen
>romanticism

don't use terms you don't understand.

See a doctor.
It will impress impressionable insecure bookish types.
Explain the difference between the two terms.

>there are plenty of things off limits to joke about in society.
I disagree entirely.
You can joke about anything anywhere and some people will laugh if you phrase and perform and contextualise it correctly.
The art of comedy is finding ways to make seemingly uninteresting and unfunny things funny.

Sarcasm is the shittiest, most low-effort form of irony.

uninteresting and/or unfunny*

Could you tell me how it's more 'ironic' than sarcastic?

That doesn't define either term.

Neither does my dick, but you're still sucking it

It's not a particularly cruel remark. It's wry and subtle, to the point that you could take it for a straightforward remark. If you were an idiot.

Sarcasm 'literally' means 'to tear flesh'. It's a specific kind of irony. No blood, no sarcasm.

with those slightly bulging eyes she reminds me of some fucked up girls (humorwise) I have known

Erhm, depends on what society we're talking about and their beliefs pal, most are universal but in some, poopie jokes are a delight, second, yes, miscarriage is horrible, but then again, maybe she got tired of humanity, hence why she became a 4channer in her time, by the way, why would you discuss about these things just to get a reaction from someone who obviously doesn't even care?

Dead babies jokes are probably great for evil cults, who knows?

...Sorry mother, I know I was spawned from your limbo-ish fetal bag, thanks for bringing me into the 21st century with these degenerates.

The difference can be as subtle as that between "Lovely!" and "Lovely."

Fair enough, I thought sarcasm varied in its level of severity, so you could be subtle enough in your sarcasm for people not to pick it up.

>why would you discuss about these things just to get a reaction from someone who obviously doesn't even care?

Who said anything about that?

True, but it doesn't mean no one is allowed to think less of you for it. I'd think someone was a bit of a cunt if I heard that immediately after the news.

That's your opinion, though. It is not a reflection of a wider consensus or just other individual opinions.

Saying something is "off-limits" is a form of censorship.

The Charlie Hebdo incident was a direct result of people violently reacting to their limits of what can be considered funny.

Anybody who tells you "you can't joke about that" is performing authoritarian practices onto you.

I wholeheartedly concur that dead babies and miscarriages are not funny. That joke is though.

oldskool bitchface

Exactly. If you reduce the joke down to "She made a joke about dead babies", of course it is not funny. But that takes out the context, inflections and general way the joke was conveyed.

AIDS isn't funny as a general concept. But you can make funny jokes about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=BMVA3gy4vpo

I personally find that funny, it might be a subjective taste, but people find it funny.

Good. Limits to public discourse and decorum are necessary or we have constant antagonism and society falls apart.

You reactionaries always seem to have wildly unjustifiable predictions.

Almost every joke is potentially very offensive to someone. Should we all just never make jokes again because someone out there has sore fee fees? Also don't preface what you're going to say with "as someone who. . ." It's such a reddity thing to do.

Look at what's happening right now with the hatred between right and left. Unlimited free speech = Twitter trolling and counter trolling until a civil war happens.

Never said it was, and I'd never try and say that someone can't make jokes about anything but I'm tired of that particular type of comedy sperg not being able to accept the personal consequences. Judgement doesn't get suspended just for the sanctity of 'muh jokes'.

Not an affront to you btw, I do agree with you.

>Step 1: Make fun of them on Twitter
>Step 2: ??????????
>Step 3: Civil war
Flawless justification for these hot predictions.

Yes, of course there are consequences for certain things, but consequences do not come out of a vacuum, they are a direct result of putting a joke into a specific environment in a specific way.

>Unlimited free speech = Twitter trolling and counter trolling until a civil war happens

False equivalence fallacy. Both the "right" and "left" (I'm not American) are able to say whatever they want. Twitter is a private social media company that can operate however it wants to as long as it adheres to law.

Twitter bans people all the time.

I'm not sure if you're even arguing with me. I understand that much and my beef is with people who don't and yet still make horribly a placed joke at a wake or somesuch miserable event and tell people to lighten up when it doesn't go down so well.

I've been a little retarded here and vented a specific and probably irrelevant frustration on you.

that's ironic

I'm not arguing with you, no. I am more just using your comments as a platform to talk about things.

Thought you might have been. Out of interest who are your favourite comics? If you have any.

I'm not really a big watcher of comedians so I wouldn't be the right sort of person to get recommendations from at all. I have a couple of DVDs of Ricky Gervais's stuff but that is from 4-5 years ago.

I find myself sometimes more interested in the theory behind comics.

That's fair, comedy is massively interesting just as something to analyse.

>I find myself sometimes more interested in the theory of comics.

How is that fedora?

Nah, it's just shit comedians say to get away from being unnecessarly edgy.

Sure you can joke about everything (there is no one out there stopping you from doing so), but people who listen to you are still entitled to their judgement of your jokes.
"You're fucking trash" and "you're worthless as a human being" can be appropriate responses to your jokes, and there is nothing you can do about it.

>even a sociopath would feign...
you don't understand psychology. that's *exactly* what sociopaths would be predicted to do; they feign things. she sounds more autistic to me, not in the meme sense, but genuinely. she probably felt some emotion and didn't know how to express it or realize that humor was inappropriate in that situation.

What makes you think she's an autist? What do people even mean anymore when they say that word these days? I've seen people use it on others for them displaying any kind of intelligent thought. Getting bored of it desu.

Everything I don't like is fedora.

I'm using it because she seems to have absolutely no social skills whatsoever, i.e., like a person with mild autism

Why do funny girls almost always have bulging eyes? I have only just realised this. But almost all funny girls I've known have fucking BULGING THE FUCK OUT eyes.

That would be correct usage but other than this incident what else about Austen makes you think she wasn't very well socialized? I've only ever read Pride and Prejudice in high school but I did sense from it that she was someone who understood social relations quite well.

Sarcasm is a form of irony. Ironically you are a retard.

That's not a refutation of what I said.

But she was so able to satirise the society of her time. Can true autists have the social awareness to deftly satirise?

She was probably just a cruel and sharp wit.

Fuck I love Jane Austen. Especially when I'm drunk. I wish she were alive today. She'd blow writers known as humorous now out of the fucking water.

Fucking mad bants, Archbishop of Banterbury up in this shit, absolute ledge mate

Which book is this 'joke' in?

Ask H.P. Lovecraft

We're women?

You're right on wether you can do it or not, you're not on what reaction to such jokes are acceptable.

Veeky Forums

perhaps because there's something mildly grotesque about it but they can still remain cute. that is, your attraction is repulsed to the degree you can laugh with her, but not so much that you can't. idk

now i understand why carli like her

>Austen will never be your self center megalomaniac literary gf

A private letter to her sister.

Gr8 b8

Where do i start with this madwoman