Do you think eating bugs will ever become popular in the west?

Do you think eating bugs will ever become popular in the west?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.scientificamerican.com/overthinking-it/i-hate-to-break-it-to-you-but-you-already-eat-bugs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if it becomes a broke shithole, sure

so give it about ten more years

Once all the whites are gone and you retarded gooks who already eat that shit live here, sure.

Females wouldn't do it so no. If any man was asked if he wanted to eat a tarantula he'd say yes unless he was a faggot.

Do insects have meat that's at all similar to actual animals? Like if you had a grasshopper as big as a cow, could you have a slice of grasshopper steak that you would cook on the grill same as beef?

Most insects have an exoskeleton, so no, it's more like cray fish or lobster but small. It's really an appetizer thing at best and even then you'd need like 3 or 4 per order. It wont get popular unless a big time distributor like Sysco starts selling it....and that's not likely.

Yeah actually, perhaps in the far future when the public finally realizes that the meat industry is environmentally unsustainable

we basically already do with lobsters, crabs, and crayfish

shit like this is why I'm a vegan

most retarded logic I've witnessed this year.

>I find a specific very rarely eaten type of meat disgusting (I'm a vegan)
>therefore eating ALL meat is bad
>eeeeewwwww cultural differences (vegan here)
I'm a vegan btw

Technically eating insects would reduce the amount of arm done to animals by humans compared to the amount of harm done by vegetable farming that fuels a vegan lifestyle.

I've never armed an animal. Can they even wield weapons?

Already is.

I reckon bug derived products will capture a greater market share. Cricket powder for instance makes an incredible protein dense supplement and is in a form that one can disassociate from the image of the bug thus getting over part of the psychological repulsiveness factor. If it catches on with the body building community and is marketed properly that is one avenue that could increase 'bug' related food in the West.

Well, if you magically had a grasshopper the size of a cow you could, but bugs can't grow that big for many reasons.

Bugs are just a bunch of muscle strands and organs stuffed stuffed in a rigid exoskeleton filled with goo

THE REAL QUESTION IS WOULD YOU EAT A BUTTERFLY?

This brings back some weird memories.
>be in early gradeschool
>Indian girl brings traditional foods to school with her
>has a bag of salted and baked crickets
>offers me some cause I'm the only one who isn't weirded out by it
I remember them being crunchy but not too bad.

It already is user

Or maybe I'm just not a stupid third-worlder who has to resort to eating bugs for protein.

>he doesn't exercise his right to arm bears

>yeah real men eat things that taste bad to prove we're not gay!

nigga you gay

>implying tarantulas taste bad
I'd totally eat a tarantula if it was well cooked

please tell me how blood and meat harms the environment

>well done
Medium rare or go home

How ignorant can you actually be?
You know the meat industry isn't just a few fields with happy cows right?

Well the average person in the US already consumes 2lbs worth/year with the FDA's blessing so we might as well go full bore into it. It's just psychological anyway. Dried and ground into a powder they could make a great addition to any stew, chili, curry or braise allowing for a commensurate reduction in the other animal protein. I'm not hopeful of it happening soon given the fact that we're a matriarchy of numales now who think about food in the same way as a 12 year old teenage gril.

blogs.scientificamerican.com/overthinking-it/i-hate-to-break-it-to-you-but-you-already-eat-bugs/

A tarantula would probably taste like dirt, similar to how rats taste like dirty water.
Scorpions seem delicious though

Look how big chickens are now. With proper breeding and maybe some GMO we could get grasshoppers the size of crabs. There are several giant insects in the Amazon.

Just needs to come by as a fad a la rich people or celebrities eating them.
Everyone thinks bugs are gross, but if they're cared for and prepared right they're just as delicious as any other protein.

Everyone used to think lobsters were shit food for peasants because they were not prepared right and were often rotten.
They're also a sea bug.
Now they're sold at a premium and it's a sign of class.
Things will chang, it's just a matter of time.

Yeah, I know an environmental vejan who says he wish insects were more popular.

>Being a bugman

>There are several giant insects in the Amazon.

No there aren't.
The holes in an insect's exoskeleton limit the amount of air that it can take in. If the oxygen intake is limited, then growth is also limited, hence we only see small insects today.
Giant worms exist in Africa because they don't have an exoskeleton, but they're so rare that some scientists don't think they exist in the first place.
Giant insects used to exist in prehistoric times when the oxygen content of the atmosphere was higher, so you could potentially grow giant insects in a high-oxygen environment with enough breeding and genetic modification though, but that wouldn't be cost effective in comparison to just farming them at their current size.

>twelve year old
>teenage

kill yourself

Fuck that looks good.

It was popular....

10.000 years ago

>people actually enjoy bugs
Jesus christ why, they are literally the crustaceans of the land.

I would eat bug powder if it was better than any other protein powder

I would eat bug powder made from the flesh of the giant aquatic Brazilian centipede.

Heres the thing
If you open up a lobster, slobster, or crab.....you find meat, actual MEAT

If you smashed one open somehow, you will find chunks of meat much like any other animal

If you smashed open a giant bug, like say a camel spider or something, you will not find meat, you will find GOOP

This is the difference between bugs and lobster crustaceans

i bought one of those bug lollipops at a museum once. took me a looong time to melt the candy, and the bug center tasted like wood.

You'd think they would considering how we ear anything and we have so many bugs around.

>If you smashed open a giant bug, like say a camel spider or something, you will not find meat, you will find GOOP
Not true. I ate lots of fried circadas in china and once you strip off the exoskellington there's a little lump of meat in the middle. The goop cooks into a nugget.

>not arming your bears with bear arms

It's been popular for years, but only recently have urbane hipsters caught on to feel superior about themsleves by protecting the environment.

Bugs are part of Mexican cuisine, specially in the center and south. Does that count?

Yes

Popular?
I think it's gonna be an everyday commodity like anything else, we'll probably try to hide it though. Like turning bugs into powder to make protein bread etc.

I eat bee drone larvae

I hope it will, i used to eat ants all the time as a kid

Pretty Sharia law forbids eating insects.