What languages do you already speak? What languages do you want to learn and why?

What languages do you already speak? What languages do you want to learn and why?

English and Japanese.

I would like to learn German as I think it would be useful for reading.

English and spanish.

I'm currently pursuing a degree in linguistics and planning on picking up portugese and if possible, swahili because if I can make education more accessible in south america and africa, the whole world wins.

English, Dutch and French.

I'd like to learn Finnish because it's metal as hell, and maybe Italian and German since they're my favourite languages for opera.
Anything else would be a bit excessive, since those would cover most of the interesting world, imo.

Most of the world? But people in those places speak english and that's all the western world.

Ah, *interesting world. My mistake.

English and Spanish 100% fluent
Learning German, also want to be 100% fluent in it

After that the only other language/script that peaks my interest is Sanskrit

They do, yes.
But I'd like to be able to have a conversation in their native language in case I want to get away from the touristic places.

It'd be nice to write poetry in a language other than the ones I've been exploiting, too.
Something about Northern languages sounds very enigmatic and ancient, and I'd argue that they have a lot of extra parameters to work with compared to the Germanic or Romanic "spectrum".

100% my ass. What would that even mean?

what
what would what even mean what?
i dont understand you

>fluency.

what you what are talking about what?

are you ok?

What would constitute 100% fluency? How does one achieve perfection in a language? Did you memorize all dictionaries and are you familiar with all local slangs? That doesn't seem to be the case.

Did I say I had achieved perfection in these languages?

Idk man by 100% fluency I meant I can understand anything anyone says and can read anything that is not too archaic

But you didn't understand "100% my ass. What would that even look like?"

That's rather common slang.

You referred to being fluent in a language as something to look at

Why don't you tell me what being fluent "looks" like?

>all this autism

Speak English, learning Polish so I can talk with gfs family easier

Brazilian/Portuguese Portuguese and English. I understand 95% of Spanish texts/conversations, but I don't know how to write in it.

Also, I know the Korean/German alphabet, and the basic things of either language.

I'd love to learn Japanese and continue to learn German.

English and French. Working on Latin right now. I'd like to learn Ancient Greek and German some time too.

Sanskrit scholar here. Quite easily the hardest language I've ever seen. Shit's insane.

Otherwise: Latin, Ancient Greek, some Classical Arabic, some Sanskrit, Russian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and some Anglo-Saxon.

English, Spanish, and French. I used to know German but I gave up studying it temporarily so I could focus on French. I plan on getting back into it next year. Besides those, I want to learn Russian, and Latin and maybe Greek, Italian, and Swedish.

Harder than Latin and Mandarin Chinese? I had no idea lol

That only makes it more fun desu. I'd really like to dedicate myself to learning the language for a period of time, sometime.

ENGLISH
NONE

german and english.
meh knowledge in french and some slight latin, italian and spanish.

english and spanish, i can read french but can't speak it because i've never had an opportunity to practice. the only language i want to learn is gaelic and i don't have any way of doing that

educating people in africa just ensures that those sufficiently educated will leave as soon as they can and never come back. you're not doing anyone any favors.

>peaks my interest
try 99% fluent you fucking plen

your gf is so lucky ;__;

Mandarin is borderline retard-simple in terms of grammar.

Latin is also one of the easier languages.

Sanskrit will literally rape your anus on the first page.

fluent in french and english

only proficient in russian -- can't actually read hard stuff but i lived there for a while and can chat with anyone

Finnish, English, basic sign language & green text

There are loads of resources Gaelic: check the BBC.

Latin, because that 10/10 cutie is studying Latin and so do most of my friends.

Someone is holding her in his arms and she doesn't even know I exist. Meanwhile I post shit about retarded language shit on a board full of equally retarded losers.

I'm not the OP, but I have a strong command of Mandarin and a slightly less fluid reading comprehension of Latin. I'd say Sanskrit is not really comparable to Mandarin Chinese. Sanskrit has extremely complex morphology and grammar, while Mandarin's difficulty comes from learning to properly hear the tones (not that hard) and from the writing system (extremely hard). Learning to speak the language, though, is actually not very difficult. The linguist/Sinologist Victor Mair said that Mandarin was the hardest language he ever learned to write and the easiest language he every learned to speak (of Mandarin, Tibetan, German, French, Japanese, Nepali, and (writing/reading) Sanskrit).

Latin, though, also being an old Indo-European language shares a lot with Sanskrit (it's fun to pick out congnates when you see them and get in the groove of understanding sound correspondences). If you think Latin grammar is difficult, Sanskrit is fundamentally the same, with noun inflection, extensive verbal inflection, and extremely free word order. However, instead of the 5 cases of Latin, there are 7 in Sanskrit (numbers vary on the precise number, but it's about 7). Instead of 2 grammatical numbers, there are 3 (includes the dual). Instead of the relatively small vocabulary of Latin, Sanskrit uses a huge vocabulary whose cognates are fewer and harder to understand intuitively (for an English speaker). The verb system is far less predictable and considerably more complicated. Sanskrit is very, very difficult.

Linguists say that all languages are equally hard to learn/use, but I think Sanskrit displays an abnormally high amount of irregularity and complexity. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but just know that Latin is a cakewalk in comparison.

i do speak portuguese (native), english and spanish. i'm learning persian now.

Latin is pretty piss easy. I can already guesswork the sentences and all i've read are fucking quotes in the Thomas Aquinas & St. Augustine translations I have lol

btw i wanna learn french too

Spanish, english and italian; can only read french. Right now i want to learn german, russian, latin, greek...

Sanskrit would be nice too. I was actually doing pages of the vowels yesterday, but it has about 47 characters. And that without counting the combined forms

are you in the world literature forum?

Russia is pretty hard to learn. Completely arbitrary rules and phonetics.

Maybe if you went back on /r9k/ she will notice you...

Later Latin texts are more similar to modern European languages and are much easier, to me, than Classical. Without pretty serious study, you're not going to understand a lick of Classical Latin - beyond seeing enough cognates to get some extremely vague (and probably wrong) meaning out of a passage.

Also, reading the quotes in your translation of Aquinas doesn't mean much - try reading quotes without a translation and see how you do. It's sort of like looking at a chess game after it's done - all the moves seem logical and obvious, but if you were actually making the moves without that guide, you'd almost certainly get it wrong.

Native: English
Fluent: French

I'm currently studying Latin on my own. I studied it in university but never got up to De Bello Gallico.

Most of you fags naming off 20 languages are pretentious twats. How many of you have actually used your foreign languages out on the street, or in the case of a dead language, for research?

English, Italian, Latin

Native English
Fluent French
I was thinking about learning Japanese, are you native/is it worth it?

Is Japanese worth it for the Veeky Forums? Japan definitely has a /kino/ film tradition...

Japan is easy. I studied it alone when I was six years old and in a year could hold up a conversations in Japanese.

just, you are going to use a lot of those cards with image-explanation on hte other side to learn the signs.

did you learn it to write it or just to speak/read it?

I've translated Latin at home, a Vulgate Bible (not all of it, obviously). I've also studied Classical Arabic with Qur'anic scholars in Tehran and Sanskrit texts in Chengdu, China; hence the Mandarin also.

I'm in no way fluent in any of them, but I'm ok.

I learned to read & speak it. My alcoholic aunt decided that I should learn Japanese and held 90-120 minute classes to me 3-4 times a week lol.

Weird, I used to think that was a beautiful painting like everyone else but now I see so many flaws. The laugh lines, the drooping eyelids, eyebrows too high, cleft chin, long nose... She looks a bit tired and aged for primavera.

Nice patrician languages, by the way. I took a semester of Italian and regret not gaining more fluency in it.

wait hold on...
what's your native language?

Spanish and Catalan (native), English (C2) and German (learning, currently at B1).

I'd like to learn Portugese next, which should be fairly easy since I already speak two iberian languages. Then something more challenging like Norge or Czech.

Are you a Westerner? How did you go to Tehran for studies?

Native English
Learning French (Basic level, duolingo-tier; One month in)

>How long until I can read Proust in his native language?

Finnish.

Fluent in Spanish and English.

Learning Ancient Greek and Japanese.

Would like to learn Portuguese, French, and Latin.

You will have to take an actual class at some point. The only good Duolingo did me was reviewing my French before a trip there. It's not good as a sole means for learning a language. After you study French, it's reasonable that you could teach yourself a Romance language, but I would do it with a proper textbook.

Yeah, British. I was just a tourist, mate. It's my thing: travel to a country, visit the sights, learn the language a bit, and go home.

Iran is fantastic for the history/language-orientated. I'd recommend it.

Oh, I got the impression that you are a scholar. As an American I would not feel safe going to Iran for any reason, but agree that Iran is worth study.

german, english, autism

Parts of Tehran were pretty sketchy.

But just do what all American tourists do - pretend your're Canadian.

>What languages do you already speak?
English, Spanish, Latin
>What languages do you want to learn and why?
german because muh Goethe, Rilke, Schiller and list goes on...

memrise is way better than duolingo
use sharedlingo for voice chat
lang-8 to writing and getting corrected by natives
you can find language learning pakcs on the pirate bay
you actually don't need to spend much money to learn a new lang, not if you got a good internet speed

English, German, French, Japanese. I work on learning Spanish and eventually Polish. First three to work, Spanish to read magical realism, Japanese for I love the script and Polish because I'm growing fascinated by Poland.

english and laotian.

I want to learn French so I can wed nice, homely Montreal girls.

Whats with latinboos on Veeky Forums
Why is nobody studying greek to start with them properly?

Have you ever been to Montreal?

Provided you have been taught in any school in Europe except the United Kingdom, there's a high chance you went through Latin courses, whereas Greek is often offered as an option, or later. There are less Greek teachers as well.

Latin is quite common in British schools, even in lower-end, poorer neighbourhoods.

I know English and Greek(well, I AM Greek so...), would like to know Spanish, Basque, Finnish, Mandarin etc etc
My brain is weak though
>mfw not enough brainpower to learn a 3rd language

Irish,French English
Would like to learn Russian

Dutch, English and German.
I'm working on Spanish, would like to read French or Latin

English, Spanish and Dutch. I learned the basics of Norwegian and Finnish for my wife, but now I want to really learn them in full so I can help our kid really get to know the other half of the family.

Latin has a history of people learning it in classical schools. Also greek is harder, has multiple dialects,and less resources.

Know Russian to an intermediate level, looking to learn Irish. I'll help you, you help me?