What's the best book in the Bible Veeky Forums?

What's the best book in the Bible Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com.au/books?id=GqCXdIpMyi0C&pg=PA733&lpg=PA733&dq=worldzhong&source=bl&ots=sxcNQLcols&sig=KERtOvzR24VHxHB2kE2TMadJoL4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-wcbaxtTSAhUCvbwKHVElB3w4ChDoAQgwMAc#v=onepage&q=worldzhong&f=false
youtube.com/watch?v=WmvyrLXoQio
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Job or the Gospel of John

Book of Jamal

Ecclesiastes

Qoelet

Job is such a challenging book. Just think how many people it has turned away.

Proverbs. The only book that doesn't seem written by a bunch of death cultists from the sand.

Esther. Its all about how a small foreign tribe seized control of the apparatus of the Persian state and used it to carry out its goals.

Ecclesiastes cuts the mustard for sure.

Up until G-o-d is dropped it reads like a modern text.

Not exactly a "book" but Christ's parables in general are a great didactic way of leading people towards simple yet fundamental philosophical truths.

Probably Job or the Book of Samuel.

Job.

I´m looking foward to Jeremiah as well

Wisdom of Sirach
Gospels
Joshua

OT : Isaiah

NT: 1Corinthians

OT: Job, Ecclesiastes, Proverbs
NT: every gospel but John

John, Genesis, Psalms, Acts

it would be either the Book of Susan or the Book of Hairdryer.

books.google.com.au/books?id=GqCXdIpMyi0C&pg=PA733&lpg=PA733&dq=worldzhong&source=bl&ots=sxcNQLcols&sig=KERtOvzR24VHxHB2kE2TMadJoL4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-wcbaxtTSAhUCvbwKHVElB3w4ChDoAQgwMAc#v=onepage&q=worldzhong&f=false

Best to least best:
Ecclesiastes
Genesis
Ruth
Matthew
1 Samuel
Job
Exodus
Romans

Tolerable:
Luke
Acts
Hebrews
Song of Solomon

Intolerable:
Everything else

Indescribably boring (subset of Intolerable):
Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
Psalms, Proverbs
All the prophets except maybe Ezekiel and Jonah (there's a theory that Jonah is a satire)

>Joshua, John intolerable
>Psalms, Isaiah indescribably boring

hot stuff, user

Am I the only one who has found most of Numbers and Deuteronomy and Leviticus fascinating, or at least interesting, and not boring?

this is the most patrician answer desu

Apocalypse

All those books require effort, which is why most people simply see them as boring legislation or census, but you're far from the only one.

Truthfully, any simple historical reading of the bible is not valuable for a Christian. I'm not saying that it isn't history. I'm saying that it's most certainly not included because it is history. Even things like the two genealogies of Jesus in Matthew and Luke are telling theological truths rather than simply recounting history. People have pointed out that Matthew counts the generations in groups of 14 (the name "David" adds up to 14 in Hebrew) and the Matthew genealogy is concerned with Christ as Son of David, whereas Luke traces to "Adam of God" and is concerned with Jesus as Son of Man (sharing the same common ancestor as all humanity).

There's lots of great scholarship on the meaning of these books. People who dismiss them are pseuds who can't be bothered putting in the effort.

Also, here's a entry-level, basic outline of Leviticus that shows the genius of its structure:
youtube.com/watch?v=WmvyrLXoQio

Thank you very much, this is amazingly well edited.

You have to concede, large parts of Genesis belong in Indescribably boring.

Kys pos

Hosea. It's fucking brutal.

>I will fall upon them like a bear robbed of her cubs, and will tear open the covering of their heart; there I will devour them like a lion, as a wild animal would mangle them.

Job

Wew

The one that proves god's existence. OH WAIT-

If I was the philosophical dunce that Dawkins is, I'd be pretty embarrassed to go out in public.

I've never seen someone use the Bible as proof that the Bible is true

lol

top kek

ECCLESIASTES

Either Samuel 1, Psalms, or Proverbs.

When will this meme end?

My favorite personally is Peter 2

Whats your favorite psalm?
Psalm 4 for me

Mark
James
Ecclesiastes

Job would be but it is too dialogue heavy.

Gospel of John, Job and Qohelet (Ecclesiastes).

Malachi is underated desu

Patrician answer.

As a distributionist christian, i prefer to cherry pick the bible to make myself seem much better than others.

Right
>NT: every gospel but John
Wrong

Gospel of John

i don't believe in God, should i read the Bible anyway? is this better than the Odyssey?

Read the NT at least

thanks, i will, i'm not a fedora tier atheist so i want to enjoy this

Ecclesiastes. /thread.

You've never met an evangelical

Psalm 82 because it makes God sound like Zeus

Do genesis and exodus too. It's important to examine Jesus through the lens of the old testament to see the significance of his actions and sacrifice. The rest of the OT is great but if you're trying to get into the NT fast there's no harm.

sorry I don't read fiction lol

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

There is no better story in the Bible than Exodus, it's a true epic that could stand toe to toe with the Odyssey.

I'm currently reading KJV, Cambridge Classic (beautiful book), only up to Exodus but I have 2 questions.
>Mount Horeb is a holy site
Is it holy because Moses later gets the 10 commandments there?
If there is only the lord then why did the magicians get powers?

Hitchens?

>hurr muh celestial North Korea

>KJV

jej

hehgegfefdedsesaealelkek

Y u no like Ecclesiastes

Explain

job

Lol no Hitchens is a hack, that quote is by Richard Dawkins.

1&2 Samuel, Genesis, Joshua, Judges, Job, Psalms (KJV); the Gospels, the Acts, 1&2 Corinthians, James, the Revelation of John the Divine.

I never said I didn't like it, user. All I'm saying is, I don't think it's the best book. I get it's about the meaning of life and whatnot. But there are more important books, like Genisis or Samuel 1, For instance.

Genesis, Job, Ecclesiates, Luke, Letter to the Romans or Apocalypse, definitely.

Pentateuch, Isaiah, Song of Songs, and Epistles of Paul.

Sometimes I forget people can be this fucking stupid

Are you saying OT God didn't do those things?

Dude, both Chronicles, due to the sheets of genealogy, are the most indescribably boring books of the Bible.

This

Ezekiel, because it's the weirdest book.

Major Prophets are certainly highly underrated

He didn't name things. He named human character traits and attributed them to god. Its a stupid interpretation.

>human character traits and attributed them to god
Because of the acts God did.
How would you interpreted God's actions

>How would you interpreted God's actions
perfect in every possible way and not attributable to humans or human emotions/traits.

How perfection mean he can't do acts we can define?

Pretty sure the magicians were using demonic forces or were optical illusionists. I'm not Christian though so I'm not 100% sure.

Humans define perfection.
God traits/actions and can't be defined by humans
I don't believe you're following your own logic

you can define his acts but it doesn't mean your definitions will be accurate.

not a human perfection but a divine unquestionable perfection which can't be comprehended by humans.

Preacher

>you can define his acts but it doesn't mean your definitions will be accurate.
Tell me how many ways you can define killing all the first born's of a nation.
You can say it was justified/Gods will etc but it's still the death of humans by a divine being.

Numbers

Sure there are totally more important books, but Eccs seems like the comfiest one.

IT'S JOB NIGGA

It was his response to the direct killing of the sons of the Israelites by the Egyptians. It was God's justice and thus it is the unquestionably perfect action.

Sorry for an off-topic post, but can anyone recommend a good overview of the Crusades?

none because i'm an atheist

Your face

Romans

>Pretty sure the magicians were using demonic forces or were optical illusionists.

The answer is debatable but it's one of these two. Same with the Witch of Endor.

I never quite understood the point of the crusades when Jesus commanded Christians to die for their enemies

chronicles of the crusades is good i heard

>Jesus commanded Christians to die for their enemies

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Romans

t. Calvinist

job is good but you can skip the entire middle part its very repetitive, first page and then the last few will suffice

So we can agree that it's an unorthodox argument (i.e. straw man)?

in my opinion, it's these numbers

What's the best order to read the books of the Bible in?

Apparently they never read my diary desu

Read it. It's basically the foundation of all western culture.

103 without a single doubt