Frozen Vegtables

Whats so bad about them? Do they have less nutrients then fresh vegetables? They're usually cheaper than fresh so I use them more often, should I stop?

My main veggies are broccoli, carrots, and squash. The broccoli and carrots are fine, but squash is way inferior to fresh. I guess it just depends on which veggie it is.

Nothing inherently wrong with frozen veggies, but unless you're using them in a soup most of the nutrients get cooked out of them. Raw veggies are much better for you in general as the application of heat basically melts out the nutritional content, mostly.

I usually buy mixed vegtables which usually include
> Peas,carrots
or
> Broccoli, Cali flour
I use them in a light stir fry with chicken most of the time. Sometimes I just pour the bag of vegetables in a bowl and eat them like that.

dumbass, frozen vegetables have more nutrition than fresh because they're frozen quickly and not let to decay or ripen. you dont "cook out" nutrients.

They're actually better in terms of nutritional content
However
They are in my opinion shittier to handle when cooking

I only do frozen peas and edamame pods. pepin told me to buy frozen peas so I do what pepin says.

They're a lifesaver for me, I'm terrible at cooking fresh veggies. Frozen peas and corn are so naturally sweet and juicy, I love them.

I wish the frozen veggies guy who made that superb thread some time ago would be here to dispell these nonsensical myths

"I don't have a garden"
The post.

frozen peas are the best. the rest is not necessary. fresh carrots store well in the fridge... and peppers and corn and lima beans are not needed.

Frozen peas are king of frozen.
Followed by sweetcorn and spinach (depending what you make).

If using frozen vegetables let them defrost in a strainer. After they just need to be warmed through.
Nothing wrong with them especially if making baby food soups.
Nutrition wise they all good.

I'm at war in my house over vegetables. We make stir fry daily, and we can't agree on using fresh or frozen.

When we use fresh vegetables, we chop all of it up on monday and put it into a big plastic bin and store it in the fridge. The problem is though, we never use up all of the veggies before they go bad in the bin. We either toss the rest out, resulting in waste, or my fucking household insists on trying to "use it up" and we end up getting the shits.

I argue for frozen veggies, as they last long, are easy to stir fry, and possesses equal or better nutritional value, but my fucking dumbass of a father doesn't want frozen because, as he puts it, "Well it just doesn't taste as good in my opinion"

Fuck off old man, frozen tastes fine, you are just experiencing placebo because you have it in your aging cheese brain that """"fresh""""" = better. Your tasteless ass insists on using fish sauce for chicken anyway.

God damn it.

gordon approves of frozen peas aswell

>can't agree on fresh or frozen
>stir fry

I'm glad I never had these problems. At least you didn't say "canned vs frozen."

Just put a vegetable stock cube in the water with the veg and drink it with the veg like a real man.

Like others have said, they are flash frozen and not decaying like raw veggies so they do have more nutrition. However, fresh veggies taste better so I tend to eat a lot more when compared to frozen.

>most of the nutrients get cooked out of them
>cooked out of them
>cooked """""""""out of them"""""""""""
funniest post today

>muh local market
frozen vegetables are produced during peak season. a goofy ass carrot grown in your backyard will never beat a fresh, perfectly cultivated carrot grown in much better conditions, then quickly frozen to retain its quality. ignorant scum

Frozen vegetables are a good indicator the cook is phoning it in and not trying to cook the best food he can.

>a goofy ass carrot grown in your backyard will never beat a fresh, perfectly cultivated carrot grown in much better conditions, then quickly frozen to retain its quality.

You're either insane or have never eaten a fresh picked vegetable from a backyard garden. I agree that frozen is better than out of season produce shipped 2000 miles and sitting in the grocery warehouse for 2 weeks, but your statement about homegrown fresh picked is simply ignorant. Just because a megacorporation grew a GMO carrot rapidly by saturating soil with industrial petroleum based herbicides, fertilizers and pesticides does not make it magically taste better. In fact, quite the opposite. Stop sucking big agri's cock.

Nothing bad, they can actually be fresher because they're frozen immediately instead of sitting around for days to weeks in trucks and on shelves.

You seem like you have no idea what you're talking about besides the very loosest grasp of the idea that excessive cooking can denature certain nutrients. Cooking also actually makes nutrients more available for your body to absorb and use and you outright need to cook some things to denature toxins or just things with anti-nutritive effects.
That's why raw food diets that are supposed to be so much more nutritious are bullshit. You know all that calcium in some dark leafy greens that people rave about and fad dieters shovel down by the bowl raw? It's all locked up in large calcium oxalate crystals that not only can't be absorbed by your body but can clump together as they float around and turn into a kidney stone, that's one of the ways you get those, shit your body can't absorb collecting and gumming up the works.

Obsessive "pure maximum raw nutrient" diet bullshit is literally an eating disorder for faggots and women.

Also it being in soup doesn't make a difference, the water doesn't somehow protect nutrients from being denatured. Seems like you're basing your knowledge on old wives tale bullshit about "cooking out all the nutrients" that was just an excuse for lazy bitches to overcook soup.

>I'm a shitposting faggot desperate for attention for my fairy garden
Follow the conversation retard, the op and following anons were obviously talking about buying frozen compared to buying "fresh" at the market.

>not providing the freshest ingredients for your guests
Unless you're using all actual fresh stuff from your garden then you're a pretentious faggot who probably thinks their food is better because they overpaid at wholefoods.

Make it one day with fresh but -say- you used frozen, then when they get all disgusted you can point out how you actually used fresh so it's all in their head which means they're delusional manchildren who don't know what they like so you're using frozen from now on.

>actual fresh stuff from your garden t
or from local farms, which isn't all that difficult at the height of the growing season. The farm I get my veggies from is 60 miles away, and the fresh stuff they bring in every week is so plentiful it's a challenge to use it all.
>you're a pretentious faggot
You sound mad. Are you mad, bro?
>they overpaid at wholefoods
Would never shop there.

Yes, frozen vegetables were a big improvement over canned when they were introduced in the 50's. But using them now is just lazy, because fresh is available year round. And it's doubly lazy if it's the height of the growing season where you live and produce from local farms is available. You don't have to buy all of your fucking food at the supermarket. It's not the 20th Century anymore.

I don't care about their nutrition value. They just taste, look and feel horrible to me.

Nothing worse than restaurants that think serving these is ok, no matter who or how they are cooked they are just bad.

>Nothing worse than restaurants that think serving these is ok,
This. If you use them at home because they're convenient your laziness is your issue. But that kind of laziness in a restaurant is unforgivable.

>corn
>vegetable
Truly the greatest meme ever created.

I think people just shit on them because it's easy as hell to prepare and people tend to conflate effort with value (nutritional in this case).
Also it's not as tasty or interesting as more complex vegetable dishes.

no reputable restaurant uses frozen vegetables. we have local farms visiting 3-4 times a week throwing shit at our head chef trying to become the main supplier

They're disgusting

Thank God someone is with me on this. Corn isn't human food, sorry, Nebraska. If it goes out the same way it went in, it didn't do shit, except shit.

>He doesn't chew his food.

As many have said, peas and corn are ones I buy frozen and actually liked. Most other frozen veg have been horrifically bad. The only other veg I buy frozen are raw broadbeans and pearl onions. Pearl onions are great for soups and stews and as for broadbeans, I'm a muh heritage durkadurka so broadbeans are a strong part of my diet (falafel, for example, is properly made with broadbean NOT chickpeas).
However, I do freeze my own peppers, chillies, shallots and shredded beets. I found that freezing halved, cleaned bell peppers allows them to keep their texture better than do sliced up peppers. I freeze shallots for when I need pearl onions and pearl onions aren't on sale. I freeze shredded beets as a long term storage solution to prevent having red hands any time I want beets: I just peel and shred a large amount of beets, freeze the shreds in 100g serving size portions and take a portion out when I want beets.

I was told recently by an user that frozen artichokes are also good. I bought some soon after but have yet to use them.

Frozen carrots, especially prepackaged / washed and cut ones, are fucking horrible.

Only decent frozen vegetables for me are peas and edamame.

>a goofy ass carrot grown in your backyard will never beat a fresh, perfectly cultivated carrot grown in much better conditions, then quickly frozen to retain its quality. ignorant scum

Just chew your food, retard.