Hey Veeky Forums I'm writing a speech that's supposed to pander to an SJW audience and is supposed to be against...

Hey Veeky Forums I'm writing a speech that's supposed to pander to an SJW audience and is supposed to be against torture. Would you guys be interested in having a read through and telling me what you think? I'll post if you guys show interest.

Self bumb (shameless edition)

let's see it

I'm also against torture but I wonder if you will convince me otherwise

Here’s something we don’t talk about: A man getting his nails ripped out of his flesh one by one. Another man having his genitalia mutilated by a hammer. A woman being raped…

Now, I can understand why you you don’t want to talk about these things… It’s because they, the media, they gave it a nice squeaky-clean name that covers everything from psychology to physiology. They, very broadly, called it “torture” and sold it the public as a necessary evil that cannot be avoided. And you, you chose to live in your little bubble and never addressed the issue. So here is an alternative description than “necessary evil” for torture: Against human nature, fundamentally wrong, evil.

I’d say it’s about time we talk about torture. Don’t you?

Despite what T.V shows may have you believe, torture does not produce reliable information. I thought that went without saying but the general idea that people have about torture seems to tell otherwise.

To prove this, I want you to put yourself in the shoes of a torture victim. Fun right?

I want you to imagine that you are a soldier, trapped in a dark room. You haven’t had any food for days and have resorted using your trousers to relieve yourself. You have no clue what time it is, no idea how many days have gone by since your capture and can hear your friends having their fingers broken in the next room… The torturers told you that it can all stop if you were to tell them just a snippet of what they want to know. Trouble is, you don’t know anything. So what do you do?

Well, any sane human being would lie. Just so they could be fed, just so the torture and constant humiliation stops. See what I mean? This is precisely why information introduced to the court using torture is not legally acceptable in any respectable house of law.

Torture victims, as supported by evidence from the CIA during the Bush administration of the United States, rarely, if not ever, provide good reliable information but instead lie and say what the torturer wants to hear in order for the constant physical, mental and sometimes even sexual assault to stop.

Another argument used to advocate torture is the “Ticking Time Bomb” scenario where the big bad terrorists or the scary kidnappers have planted a bomb in the heart of a city or kidnapped a small child and you have no choice but to torture the suspect in order to save countless lives or the life of a sweet little boy or girl. If taken at face value, this argument is very compelling. How can you argue against torture being a necessary evil in a case like this? But if you look closer, this argument starts to fall apart just based on the number of sheer assumptions being made that would not hold in the real world.

Cont.

Cont.

You are assuming that you have the right person in custody.
You are assuming that torture is the best and only way you can gain information and save those countless lives or the children.

You are assuming that everything relies on this one piece of information and nothing else can help save the day.

These assumptions are too drastic and would never hold within the real world hence rendering the entire argument useless.

Despite all of this people in governments around the world continue to advocate and advertise this depraved and disgraceful crime as a “necessary evil” even though it has been shown that torture does more bad than good. Even though torture is illegal under international law.

Torture does irreversible damage to its victims.
Torture is used as a means to pass the time in some prisons.
Torture hurts a country’s international relations.
Torture is the number one recruiting tool for Al-Qaeda.

So I ask you today to support organizations such as amnesty international that oppose this inherently evil act and inform yourself and the people around you about this medieval age practice that has overstayed its welcome up into the modern age. I ask you to not allow torture to fade away from our minds like it has gradually done over the past few years. I ask you to prevent torture from maintaining its status as a “necessary evil”. Thank you.

Thoughts???

the four "bullet points" here are worst, imo

my suggestions

>torture does irreversible damage to its victims
add "many of whom have later been found to be innocent"

>torture is used as a means to pass the time in some prisons
such as?

>torture hurts a country's international relations
add something about america's importance as a moral power in the world

>torture is the number one recruiting tool for Al-Qaeda
say Isis instead, and cite some random general if possible, I'm sure you can find one that says something similar

Overall, seems fine. Very simplistic and not particularly long, but hits all the talking points and should go over well, and most likely without any particular notice as you are taking the easiest position with the easiest justifications (aka no one at all will disagree with a word you have said, but they probably won't care too much either)

for the record, what i was trying to say in these suggestions is I think you do best in those statements if you make them sound less like platitudes and more like specific examples. Doesn't really matter if the additions are true or not, but giving "names" and "context" make your statements sound more "true"

Thank you for this input I'll make the necessary changes and post again with updates.

>A man getting his nails ripped out of his flesh one by one. Another man having his genitalia mutilated by a hammer. A woman being raped…
Weak. Be more descriptive while still being concise. A woman being constantly penetrated with mice by an old man in a suit, day after day. A couple of lovers separated of each other, being told his significant one already betrayed him while suffering the most brutal beating s/he could stand before passing out for the fourth time.
>Torture is the number one recruiting tool for Al-Qaeda.
Ayy Americans and their PTSD.

My original descriptions were somewhere along those lines but I saw fit to change them to be less graphic to suit the target audience. I agree that it is weak though so I'll ramp it up a bit but not quite what you wrote. Thanks for the input.

Torture does irreversible damage to its victims, many of whom have later been found innocent.
Torture, in its psychological form, manifests itself in prisons around the world as solitary time for prisoners which has been shown to be one of the most painful torture methods in history.
Torture hurts a country’s international relations and the fact that the United States very openly uses torture does not help discourage other countries from using it too.
Torture is the number one recruiting tool for terrorist organizations such as ISIS or Al-Qaeda.

Updated version

Note: Tell me if it sounds a little too up its own ass especially with the prison statement.

Here’s something we don’t talk about: A man getting his nails ripped out of his flesh one by one, leaving him crippled with PTSD. Another having his genitalia mutilated by a hammer, preventing him from ever having children. A woman being repeatedly raped and told that her significant other has already betrayed her…

Updated version

Note: I used the same examples with more flow-on effects as the description. I think it maintains a good balance. Feel free to make other suggestions though...

If I was specific and said let's say: Iranian prisons or south american ones then the SJW crowd I'm delivering the speech to would REEEEE

>Torture, in its psychological form, manifests itself in prisons around the world as solitary time for prisoners which has been shown to be one of the most painful torture methods in history.
This sentence is a little confused. I think you should rework the phrasing, but the sentiment is a good one. Better than attacking Venezuela or some shit for sure.

>Torture hurts a country’s international relations, and the fact that the United States very openly uses torture does not help discourage other countries from using it too.
Torture hurts a country’s international relations, and the fact that the United States very openly uses torture only further weakens its moral standing in the global fight for human rights and equality

Changed this one becaue you can't say "Torture is bad since using torture makes other countries torture more." This is a circular statement

Definitely think this is better -- as these are the last statements before your conclusion and pls donate schpiel, I think they're the most important part by far

Psychological torture in the form of solitary time handed out to prisoners in prisons around the world has been shown to do even more psychological damage than some, more invasive, physical methods.
Torture hurts a country’s international relations, and the fact that the United States very openly uses torture only further weakens its moral standing in the global fight for human rights and equality.

Note: Maybe I take out the whole prison bit since this whole part is getting a little too long? Or if it's fine then I'll leave it in idk

you need to start with the word torture in order to keep the

>torture
>torture
>torture
>torture

thing going.

Try something more like
>Torture is practiced not only in far away dictatorships, but even in American prisons in the form of solitary confinement.

Aw shit that is perfectly short enough and exactly what I needed. Thanks a ton bro

No problem, now context?

High school presentation or something?

Yes. I am an 18 year old high school student presenting to a crowd of 14-15-16 year olds plus some judges that will determine whether I will progress to the next stage of the competition or not.

My plan of attack is to memorize the entire thing by Wednesday to have my hands free for gestures and shit and not be limited by que cards. It sounds risky but it won me the trophy last year.

You shouldn't bring the PTSDs so early and just in an specific case. Leaving him crippled with PTSD is a good quote, though. Maybe you should put it after naming the tortures, that way it enfatizes the fact that torture doesn't end when it ends, as PTSDs are the scars those people will have to bear their whole lives.

>Here’s something we don’t talk about: A man getting his nails ripped out of his flesh one by one. Another man having his genitalia mutilated by a hammer. A woman being raped…

WOW HOW ABOUT A TRIGGER WARNING, CIS SCUM

lmao
The trigger warning is the name of the speech that is announced with a megaphone at the beginning: TORTURE: NECESSARY EVIL?

I'll consider this.

Sounds like fun, good luck m8

Thanks and thank you kind user who gave me that sage advice.