Can someone tell me that when these buddhist monks can withstand extreme pain...

Can someone tell me that when these buddhist monks can withstand extreme pain, is it because they have destroyed their nociceptors? How else can they do it? EG: youtube.com/watch?v=iAXJue_lRsQ

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokushinbutsu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A lot of it is due to dampening nerve receptors, but also due to callusing and thickening of the skin. These guys only harden one part of the body, usually the fists or shins. So they punch and kick rocks until they get calluses, and it doesn’t hurt anymore.

Meditation works. Reguardless of what you think or feel about the subject, there are scientific studies that have shown its benefits many times over. Its to the point that if there was a study showing meditation does nothing, that would be extraordinary news. Meditation is essentially the process of your consious mind learning to tune out all sensory input and focus on its own existence over all else. One of the effects of meditation is increased pain tolerance. Its not hard to believe that someone who practices meditation every day all day for 50 years could set themselves on fire with no visible pain reaction.

How do you explain ?

You can't toughen up the entire body.

Water alcohol mixture. It's what they do for stage/dance fires as well. A gasoline fire would simply destroy that man's skin.

He burned to death faggot. You cant tell me it wasnt painful because of what he used to burn himself.

Wrong. It is documented that he used petrol.

at the end of the day the perception of pain is a conscious event, so I suppose if you're hardcore enough you can just ignore it. Plus at the point when your entire body is engulfed in flames, the pain sensation probably reaches a saturation point, kind of like how inflicting pain on one part of your body can alleviate pain from an actual injury, and then some time later all the nociceptors are destroyed by the fire anyway.

Nah he just went into shock

These guys just sit still 4+ hours a day contemplating the dangers of wgat they do and psych themselves up for it. Its really remarkable that they can not just ignore the pain, but embrace it. Its really 50% physical training and 50% mental preparation.

Quit coming up with bullshit excuses. If you have ever seen someone get severely burned you would know shock or not, they dont fucking sit still. You clearly havent been on this site long enough if you think thats a normal, or even previously exhibited, response to burning alive.

>"every day all day for 50 years" Without extensive study done I have to assume it reduces to this key point. I'm reminded of some of the studies done in the US military trying to determine the factors that cause one person to fail and another to succeed in the more extreme training programs (buds, recon, etc). AFAIK to this day there is no conclusion beyond some just do.

That is retarded but I think you were intending to get (you)s and you got em, well done dickhead

Is suppressing the basic pain reaction that has allowed our ancestors to survive supposed to be a good thing?

No but the ability to control it to some extent sure can come in handy dont you think?

Well im no expert, im just guessing that all day every day for 50 years is what it takes to set yourself on fire without flinching. Since you are too lazy to look it up yourself.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation

Go nuts.

The brain has afferent inhibitory axons that can inhibit incoming pain signals it the dorsal horn. It's a general rule that the neocortex has afferent connections with many pathways, this is pretty much the mechanisms by which your conscious brain can override any instinct.

Other inputs can also act as inhibitorors on the pain propagation pathways. For example, touch inhibits pain because when the sensory input pathway of touch starts transmitting signals, it also inhibits pain signals due to its axon terminals that inhibit pain signals before they reach the brain. This is why a would will hurt a lot more if you don't apply pressure. And because the touch pathway is much faster than the pain pathway, many times you'll touch something hot and realize it's GOING to hurt before you actually feel the pain, resulting in you instinctively applying pressure on the burn

It is training one's pain tolerance, it is pretty much like Mithridatism (building resistance to poison by administering non lethal doses). It is constantly applying pain over periods of time until you feel nothing.

Conditioning non-brain part of the body to be tough and resistant to those particular actions.

Endless practice producing very nuanced technique (in other words it's very controlled infliction of pain, no mess ups and danger).

Meditation and other practices that enable them to "feel" less pain (neurologically).

General acceptance and robustness in the face of discomfort/pain, and self-discipline gained due to their ascetic lifestyle.

And finally, these shows are set up for spectacle. They're cut down to just that and often scripted, rehearsed, and portrayed inaccurately. They're basically reality TV shows.

Here is another Buddhist practice that exemplifies their discipline and abstinence from reacting to their senses (observing them and letting them wash over them, unaffected).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokushinbutsu

It's not just about pain but all projection of meaning (onto the world and mental processes themselves), being consumed by emotion and senses, and attachment in general. The central goal of Buddhism is to nonjudgementally accept reality, especially the present, and to release yourself from static notions.

What I'm trying to say is that it's not some pointless trick to inhibit pain, but part of a wider practice, which is in turn part of a wider belief system. It's just a symptom or a side-effect. Ultimately it can be summed as: observance/acceptance without quantity or quality (no meaning, no time, no emotion, no bias -- simply the raw senses without judgement, projection or inference). The monk has mastered this, and so is able to burn alive to death.