Which two STEM majors complement each other the most?

Which two degrees complement each other the most?

Math and physics.

this
or
CS + Anything useful

Bio and Chem also work, both need each other. Chem for the actual dissection of the components. Bio for the study of how they work in junction with one another in a living being. You can't study or quantify the chemical reactions of a living thing without studying what happens when a chemical is applied to said organism.

Can't exactly create medicine for indigestion without studying how the GI tract works as a whole.

seriously, none of the cs at my college (or this board) realize they need to pair their cs degree with something else. If they don't make themselves relevant in the sciences, then physicists, chemists, etc will simply learn enough about cs that "computer scientists" won't be needed.

It's easy to be a physics major and teach yourself useful cs, it's very hard to be a cs major and apply yourself to another field without formal education of said field, say physics.

what's the best minor for a math major?

cs, physics or /comfy/ philosophy?

i should of specified math and physics don't count. the reason being you CANT do physics without math, and most physics majors are only a couple classes away from a math b.a. anyway.

Computer science would be by far the most useful minor for a math major, assuming you can skip the retarded tuition grabbing meme cs classes.

Philosophy would be pretty good if you plan on going to grad school to study math. At my uni they have logic, epistemology, etc just don't take some stupid eastern philosophy shit

dont minor in physics. You either do physics or you don't in my opinion

wtf, That's literally why math and physics complement each other.

yes but i was hoping for something a little more novel and not the obvious low effort "math and physics". A better example would be, for example, philosophy and biology

Only way that would work is if you are studying some obscure shit or going into Bioethics and even then it is a scarce field.

Philosophy isn't STEM.

Any two STEM fields combined has a niche. How much they complement depends on the application, your personal interest, and how much work you put into it.

I heard a lot of physics guys go into finance? Is this true? Anyway, some good mixes are CS/Physics/Math and chemistry/biology/other life sciences

there is a lot of philosophy in biology. You don't have to be a philosopher - you can be a philosophically inclined biologist. genetics, evolution, natural selection, behavior, etc are all philosophically inclined. I actually made this thread to enlighten tards like yourself.

Doesn't the rule out most hard sciences then?

He means to say that ``math and physics'' is the most obvious one that comes to mind and should automatically be discounted, because it's trivial and doesn't lead to interesting discussion.

Really, math and any other STEM field go very well together. I would wager that anyone in any particular field would say "Math + my field" simply because that's what they know the most, but that's what this thread is obviously supposed to be about.

Engineering and physics.

these were my thoughts too, but the CS problem is complicated by the ease of being self taught. At least in philosophy you have a unique chance to have a professor critique your reasoning, where as in CS that opportunity is every (and more self apparent, i.e if a program fails or sucks balls, it's either easy to realize that, or diagnoses is more readily available.

>there is a lot of philosophy in biology.
only insofar as they inject themselves into it, like they do everything else to try and remain relevant. Modern philosophy, in and of itself, is a waste of time.

What do you guys think of a double major in math and economics?

CS and Math.
-or-
Calculus and D&D

I'm looking for a response on this because I feel like I'm crazy for legitimately considering a philosophy minor over CS, someone plox halp

why not minor? srs question no troll pls no mad

>philosophy minor over CS
a lot of people go for that. It's good so long as you gain a solid understanding of logicand utilize that in your CS, as there are more problems than mere syntactical or semantical errors.

It's good to learn some discrete mathematics though, and to keep your math skills polished.

lol

There's no majors or minors where I live I just wrote it like that for some reason.

Haha b.a.? Do you know what a math major is?

Okay, in that case, chemistry and biology.

WHat?

Coool, I love discrete math

you know a B.A. in math is a thing right?

I just noticed in the middle card his shoulder pads look crazy big but on the arm cards they're much smaller.

CS and Stats, to get on that Data Science Meme Train

CS is a waste of tuition money. Study it on your own and avoid being slowed down by brainlet CS majors.

Math and economics :^)

French, German, Russian

Graduate schools require you to be able to read in them.

>cs, physics or /comfy/ philosophy?

CS will force you to take their meme into java courses before getting anywhere near an interesting course. Unless you manage to convince them to let you take graduate courses for it, don't do it.
Philosophy is dead. All the good parts have been sucked into mathematical logic.
Physics will be the most helpful to understand the motivation behind your multivariable, ODEs, and PDEs courses.

Materials and electrical E

> majors are only a couple classes away from a math b.a. anyway
Why do so many people repeat this meme?

A math BA is:
>The classes all good STEM majors take:
Single Variable Calculus 1&2
Multivariable Calculus
Matrix Algebra (maybe merged above or below)
Ordinary Differential Equations
>Plus
Proofs (maybe merged into a brainlet tier advance calculus, algebra, or discrete math course)
Real Analysis
Abstract Algebra or Linear Algebra
6-7 Electives

(Good) Physics majors only do PDEs and Complex Calculus in addition to the five core course making them 7-8 courses short.

Math + Stats
Math + Physics
Math + CS
Math + Business Administration
Math + Economics
CS + Stats
CS + Business Administration

>doing anything other than finance or accounting

Lel.

>dont minor in physics. You either do physics or you don't in my opinion

Why not? A physics minor is freshman physics + analytical mechanics, EM 1&2, and QM. You'll see the physical motivation behind calculus of variations, PDEs, and functional analysis.

Math + * Engineering

This already happens in science daily. No research institute I've worked at has had dedicated formally trained cs majors to write code. And some of the places I've worked have research groups running massive simulations on supercomputers.

>unironically doing double major
>muh minor aka muh 3 more classes
You guys don't do this useless shit right?

not our fault you can only fit one major into your brain

Really underrated. Or Electrical Engineering and Mathematics.

Computer Science and electrical engineering.

its astounding how many cs majors don't understand the first thing abut how computers actually work

I think Math and EE. That’s a great way to get a really good understanding of both fields and actually be really successful in your career and anything quantitative.

Why lol? I don't see why that would be a bad combination?

I did a Math BS with minors in Mechanical Engineering and Finance just cause I’m a weirdo, it took a shit ton of prereqs for both minors that didn’t dual-count. But I really enjoyed learning about energy and learning about accounting/finance/economics.
I think the Econ minor’s good because it’ll expose you to good stats and some programming in STATA. But if it’s a double major you’ll have to do a bunch of bullshit business courses like “Groupwork in Excel 101,” “Groupwork in Excel 400,” and “Wear a suit to class and talk about CAPM 395”
The best part about my finance minor was once I got to the higher-level courses it was a lot of the same material and there were some hot Indian girls.

Math and EE

An Electrical Engineer specialized in Controls can also work as Mechanical Engineer, Building Robots

A Strong Math foundation is highly beneficia, since Controls uses Math heavily.

>highly beneficia
highly *beneficial

>dont minor in physics
I don't know, just a few core courses can give you a solid foundation in physics. It's definitely more than would fit into a minor but if you do mechanics, EM and QM like this guy said, it's already good start.
A full on physics major includes a lot of things you may not really give a shit about, such as practicals, astronomy, solid state physics, you name them, but with just the basis you can still do any of them if you'd want to.

Computer Science and Statistics.

Once you get to the higher level of econ you'll find that it's basically applied math, so they'll play into each other pretty well

CS and most things in cognitive science

>low effort math & physics
you're in a shithole or retarded

Biochem and CS

Thanks for that comfy guide.

Where's the EE + Physics love?

Don't listen to these soyboys. I'm a math major at a top 20 school. Get into either Actuarial Science or Data Science.

>double major
it is like you don't want friends or a gf..
why waste the best time of your life stamp collecting?

>Veeky Forums always shitting on CS
>dude do a double major CS/my major
wtf is wrong with you faggots

I second this. Elaborating on data science, take CS and stats for a basic foundation. Both his choices require a very long commitment though.

If you're looking being a data scientist, not a data analyst(Huge difference), you're looking at a Ph.D, or equivalent experience

Actuarial science requires a bunch of exams post graduation, and you don't even need the degree per say if you complete enough of the exams and market yourself well.

Accounting is another option if you're willing to put in the time post graduation, but not really very Veeky Forums-ish

compsci is for casuals, no doubt about it. But this boy goin to college to make some $$. Compsci is where he needs to be.

That's because the entire arm is shrunk to fit the card

I'm majoring in Actuarial Science, and it's pretty good so far. Not having to go for a masters or Ph.D while also having a great salary was the biggest draw for me, so it's definitely worth looking into. I just hope it doesn't become oversaturated.

Absolutely correct. Philosophy might be one of the worst ways to waste your time because you'll be under the illusion that you're doing something worthwhile instead of muddling around in the traps of heuristic human language constructions.

It's good for law school if you focus on logic and creating arguments.