Hello all

Hello all,

I'm going to be moving to a university for classes and I have the option to get a meal plan or buy my own food.

I calculated the average meal price I would be getting. Each meal would cost me $11.

I think I can eat way cheaper than that, so I'm opting to buy my own food. What sorts of things should I get? I'm looking for daily meals that are cheap, easy to prepare, and don't require lots of cooking equipment.

OR, for anons who have been to university, am I making a mistake? Is the social element worth the greater cost (aka getting the meals from the cafeteria and meeting people)?

Thanks!

bump

Get a meal plan for your freshman year. You can't put a price on the social aspect of being able to hit the cafeteria with some people after class, or eating with a girl/guy after you "study". Meal plans are a huge ripoff if you only think of food prices, but for everything else there's mastercard. Fucking pissening social interaction.

you definitely need a rice cooker/slow cooker combo machine. can get them on amazon starting around 30 dollars for one that works. good for tenderizing meats of all types. i like to put water in there with various seasonings to flavor the meat while it cooks. in 2-3 hours its very tender and ready to go.

I hear you, but do you think if I join clubs and shit, I still get the social benefits? I really need to save as much money as I can.

What kinds of meats should I get? AKA cheapest with highest nutritional value? I'm a total noob at this, so any help would be great.

Just check the price per pound at the meat section. It's listed along with the price of the item near the barcode.

In general chicken thighs are good value. Beef flank steak is good once you get it tender. Shoulder cuts, rump cuts. Stuff that isnt tender right off the cow or pig is always cheaper.

Why are you telling me that

Chicken hearts are dirt cheap and supposedly highly nutritious according to this board. Never tried them myself.

Please stop

You asked, pussy. Better just get a year pass at taco bell.

Why are you doing this?

This isn't me (OP).

I appreciate all serious posts.

Any other essentials or tips I should know?

Skip the whole social aspect and be wizards like the rest of us. You can thank us later

OP here. This isn't me.

Seasonings and sauces are your best friends. Meat is versatile only if you have a variety of seasonings.

What seasonings do you recommend?

You can't cook, and making decent meals in your dorm won't be as easy as you think. Also, if you get a meal plan it may be one of the only times in your life where you'll know what it's like to eat like an upper middle class person.

- Ramen noodles are a well known collage stable. Buy them in bulk and you can fill yourself up for 50ยข.

I know some people get sick of them, but I never did. Add canned meats: Tuna, mussels, diced ham, (typically half a can per ramen pack. Sandwich meat is good. Also shredded cheese. Experiment.

Also don't overdo it.
==============

On the other hand, the meal ticket gives you another benefit: Time. Cooking and cleaning will eat into your study and fun time.

You don't know me. I just want to save a few bucks.

At least be funny if you're trying to derail. You're boring and stupid. If you were half-way entertaining, you'd still be stupid, but it would be amusing. Like start swearing or posting your nudes, anything but meek shit-stirring.

>You can't cook

At the moment. But I'm willing to learn. Would you be able to recommend any good sites or books?

>Ramen noodles

Thanks, good idea with the canned meats and all that. But are the noodles themselves unhealthy? I've heard of people getting sick off them, but maybe they were just eating multiple cups or something?

Curry powder, ginger powder, old bay seasoning mix, soy sauce, sriracha, anyhing like tobacco (makes eggs fun), minced garlic in the little glass jar, dont be afraid to utilize the black pepper, chicken and beef bulion cubes, (good for soups, stews, and tenderizing meat in water)

I forgot split peas and lentils. Cheap and very nutritious source of protein.

Lastly get tomato paste or sauce with as little salt added as possible. It's a good base for any soups or stews.

Don't be mad, my dumbass friend. You're the poor one that's too stupid to use your common sense.

>any good sites or books
Try Google. Jesus Christ.

This. Also, consider there's going to be days where you are busy and just want to eat as quick as possible and get back to studying.

I don't need to study. I'm very intelligent and mature for my age.

Double posting, and a shitty troll? Well at least you're succeeding at being annoying (double posting), but your content needs work. Bitchmade little faggot.

Stay mad my guy.

Is this a troll thread?

And if it isn't, will you actually have a decent kitchen? A shared dorm kitchen for sixty people isn't a good option for cooking every meal.

Do you have any tips for using google? I've heard of people getting sick from using it but maybe they were just doing multiple searches or something?

Yeah, I thought I was going to cook a lot, but then I saw the teeny tiny dorm kitchen a building of over 100 people were using was always busy and never clean.

I don't think I'll have a decent kitchen. I'm too poor to afford one.

I thought so. Get a meal plan. Meet a nice upperclassman and flirt a bit so you can use his kitchen once you can afford the ingredients.

>I've heard of people getting sick from using it but maybe they were just doing multiple searches or something?

Ok now you're getting the hang of it. That was actually funny. I approve, continue in that vein to amuse me.

And yet as I was typing that, you had to fuck it up with this one.

Yes, there will be a communal kitchen, not sure on the number of people in the dorm, but probably fewer than 60.

What kind of equipment does the kitchen have?

Dude, just get the meal plan. There's so much life change that happens when you enter college and being able to eat conveniently is not something you want up in the air. If it turns out you can manage a college schedule and have time/energy/interest to cook, then don't get one next semester/year.

Get the meal plan you stupid faggot.

I can't afford one. :(

Boneless chicken thighs
Chuck roast
Rump roast
Ground beef
Eggs
Sausage
Rice
Pasta
Potatoes
Bananas
Apples
Brocolli
Zucchini
Slow cooker packets. Pic related

Then I hope you like ramen and scurvy.

Why did your autistic ass choose to target this thread? You jelly or something? University isn't that special, you don't need to feel so threatened.

I'm too poor to afford another thread, my dumbass friend. :(

Rice and chili my dude.

bump

Sage :^)