I had a fever and missed classes all of last week. How the hell do I do this...

I had a fever and missed classes all of last week. How the hell do I do this? Anyone know of any good resources to learn this, or if there are any online calculators that can do these sort of problems?

>is there an online calculator for this
drop out of college, you're not cut out for it

Watch any introduction to integration calc 1 lecture on youtube

>drop out during your last semester of a dual B.S.
Don't be such a bitter fuck. I've aced classes much harder than this. I just chose to leave my last math class until senior year because I have no interest in the subject.

If you can do anything other than be a vague, jaded cunt, that would be great. If not, go fuck yourself.

you literally missed the first class of calculus

he's right though, if you can't follow basic instructions like those then just drop out

>i've aced classes much harder than calculus
Am I supposed to be impressed?
If you have no interest in math you have no place in academia, it's a good thing that you're graduating soon. Also since every stem major has calculus as a freshman or sophomore class, there's no way either of your majors are remotely difficult.

I'm pre-med Biology with a concentration in Neuroscience. I also already completed my degree in Psychology.

For the pre-med track, Calculus is split into Derivative Calculus and Integral Calculus.

All in all, I couldn't care less what you think, bitter stranger. I asked a simple question and it's cool if you're too much of a faggot to answer it.

>halfway through November
>missed the first class of calculus
Alright, genius.

I'll stay an extra three years just to spite you, cocksucker.

just plot this on wolfram alpha if you cant draw with your head.
since you have y(x) integrate with respect to x.
the last one depends on the widt of your rectangle, try with width 1 and the height is the left/right/middle side of the top of the rectangle. wich side you choose is up to you

>biology
>difficult
lmao typical med brainlet, hows that memorization going for you? Did you remember to use your anki cards today?
The reason myself and others assumed it was the first day of calculus is because the question your asking is extremely basic.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, user. I'll dig up some videos to make sure I'm comfortable with it.

For problems like these, do you know if stuff like substitution, integration by parts/fractions, etc. is needed for more complex problems or is it just sketching and approximation? Thanks again.

Whatever you say, guy.

>this much impotent rage
no wonder you can't do basic calculus. also, nobody is obligated to do your kindergarten homework. expect to be made fun of here if you make shitty threads like this.

Graph the curve, find the points of intersection, integrate from the left point of intersection to the right point. Area equals integral of top curve minus integral of bottom curve. If they want area and not the integrals value itself integrate negative areas separately and take absolute value. Substitution will be needed often but other techniques will only be needed if this is a calc 2 class and the curves are more complicated than polynomials.

Didn't ask anyone to do my homework nor am I raging. I'm responding how anyone would to hostile autism.

What are you doing in life, user?

Awesome, thanks again. Have a good night.

well, when you integrate a curve you usually get the exact area under it, and the tecnique you use just depends on the function (in this case you only use the fundamental rule because it's a simple problem), but there are others where if dont use integration by parts or some other you will not get the result.
and there are also those functions where you just will not be able to get the primitive with any tecnique known by humans, so in these you may use approximations, but they are much more sofisticated than this.
I hope I understood your question

loling at your inability to do highschool math, that's what

Ignoring your blatant spelling errors, you misunderstand the meaning of "no elementary antiderivative/primitive", it can be proven that there exists no antiderivative in elementary terms, it's not that we just haven't discovered the technique. Those antiderivatives can only be expressed as special functions which are often defined themselves in terms of integrals. There's an algorithm that can compute the antiderivative of any function that has an elementary antiderivative.

Makes sense. Thank you, anons.

Whatever floats your boat, dude.

Also they aren't that much more sophisticated
Whats sophisticated about [eqn]\int e^{x^2}dx[/eqn]

Isn't that just chain rule? It would equal e^x^2 - 2x, right?

no

Oh whoops, I took the derivative instead of the integral. So it would be (e^x^2 - x^3)/3?

one fun exercise is to calculate this integral over an interval, but the indefinite integral is just an error function, not so fun

Integration requires use of substitution, reverse chain rule, in this case if you had [eqn]\int 2xe^{x^2}dx[/eqn] the antiderivatives would be [eqn]e^{x^2} + C[/eqn], however [eqn]\int e^{x^2} dx[/eqn] has been proven to have no antiderivative in terms of logarithms, exponentials, trig functions, polynomials, or rational combinations of those.

no

Interesting, thanks.

You're misusing rules, often seemingly simple functions have no antiderivative, for another example [eqn]\int \frac{\sin x}{x}[/eqn] has no elementary antiderivative

In the case of this function, say you don't know ahead of time that is has no antiderivative - are you forced to use substitution, or could you theoretically take the antiderivative of each x individually and get something like -cos(x) * log (x)? I know that's not the correct answer, but does that work theoretically or do you have to use substitution or integration by parts for something like this?