How many of you grew up with parents cooking shit food...

How many of you grew up with parents cooking shit food? I didn't eat one meal that was actual a proper dinner unless we went out to eat.

Chicken was burned to shit on the grill as the norm. Cheap stakes weren't marinated. I just feel like I missed out on so much good food for 18 years now that I have my own kitchen.

Whenever I visit my parents my dad will insist on cooking and cook something like a pork chop with nothing on it. Literally will just throw a pork chop on the stove until it's not raw.

I'm white and my parents loved me. So sorry, can't relate.

I think my dad burned off his taste buds after decades of smoking. He would overcook a piece of chicken just to an insane degree to the point of being charred and say something like
>wow this chicken tastes great!
It's like something from a bad comedy sketch.

he probably realized that you would become a frogposter and didn't think you deserved any better

I was raised by my grandfather, who doesn't even know what cooking is.
>Puts literally everything he owns in the fridge and freezer, because he seriously believes anything in there is 100% immune to spoiling
>Doesn't believe in the concept of expired food anyway, I've literally watched him eat tomatoes with gigantic white patches of mold on them
>Will just take something from the freezer and throw it on a hot pan, not even bothering to defrost
>Doesn't understand the concept of sanitation. Always gets raw chicken/fish etc juice EVERYWHERE and absolutely doesn't care that he did
>On the same note, his idea of washing dishes is to just rinse everything with hot water. The drain is always full of utensils and plates covered in crap
>Cooks 99% of the things he makes by cooking until they're totally bone dry and burnt, then absolutely drowning them in butter to get them wet again (yes, wet)
>Doesn't know anything about heat beyond hot or cold. These days he cooks chicken in the toaster oven on the toast setting and doesn't even notice the difference
>Can't tell the difference between junk food and real food. Sometimes for dinner he'd just give me an entire box of snack cakes
Its not a matter of him being old and feeble either, its arrogance. He sees himself as god's gift to the world, and will give you shit if you dare criticize him for anything he ever does. When I inevitably had to learn to cook for myself, he was quick to hover over me and criticize me for things he's never even cooked himself. The worst part is, even when I took him out of the equation and did everything myself, he'd still sneak into the kitchen when I wasn't looking and mess with what I was making, often sticking his bare, dirty hands right into my food to taste it.

these threads are always made by dumbasses

>Chicken was burned to shit on the grill as the norm.

oh no, you got to eat grilled chicken, how terrible

>Cheap stakes weren't marinated.

you don't have to marinate steak dude. it doesn't do shit.

>Whenever I visit my parents my dad will insist on cooking and cook something like a pork chop with nothing on it. Literally will just throw a pork chop on the stove until it's not raw.

WAAAAAAH MY PARENTS COOK MEAT

what the fuck are you complaining about? you got fucking grilled chicken and steaks and pork chops growing up. most kids get turkey dinosaurs and a packed lunch of cheese and margarine sandwiches pulled from the freezer that don't even fully defrost on cold days.

asianamerican. cant relate.

is this why caucasian decline?

>you don't have to marinate steak dude. it doesn't do shit.

Looking back our food was average but it was made with love in a great home so I'd be a bitch to complain about it now and didn't know enough to complain then. Sure glad I didn't cuz I'd probably hate myself.

you don't. it doesn't make the steak more tender or whatever you think it does. ain't no science behind that shit unless you're using an enzymatic tenderiser or something.

you're a young man heading out into the world on your own. it's normal for teenagers to reject their parents' way of life - they want to emancipate themselves. but never forget that you're a fucking dumbass and shouldn't shittalk your parents as if you know better. they've been cooking for themselves for at least 20 years more than you have.

I developed some eating disorder from it, I'm pretty sure.

>spaghetti or hot dogs most nights
>hated hot dogs
>wasn't allowed to leave the table until the giant servings of hotdogs, spaghetti, canned veg or whatever sides they made was all eaten
>they wised up to me feeding it to the dogs
>beat them along with me as punishment so I stop doing that
>started hiding it in the book case next to me and cleaning it out in the middle of the night
>parents constantly arranged the whole house, took everything but the table and chairs out of dining room
>many nights getting threatened, screamed at and scolded for everything in the world because I could physically eat anymore
>Had to sit in the dark all night with a mouthful of food alone at the table since my dad would come in to check on me
>doesn't matter if I threw up, he would make me eat more
>get beat if I didn't or fell asleep
>get beat for sleeping in class
>siblings are terrified and try to help but once they got beat they avoided me
>even when I did eat my dad would look for any excuse to scream and yell at everyone even if we were having a good time together for once
>stomps and screams about how dare anyone not want to sit down for dinner
>over the years we just go our separate ways during dinner
>occasionally and suddenly forces family dinners and family game night
>always ended in screaming, tears and someone getting hit
>this happened even if we went out to eat
>always a screaming mess of a melt down on the bus if we pulled up and said his truck in the driveway

I fucking hate hot dogs so much. I think I'm a well adjusted adult but I still get panic attacks from that bullshit. Took until I graduated highschool to be able to eat in front of anyone and since last year I've managed to keep my weight up for the most part with the help of medicine since apparently I just don't feel hunger ever and need to remember to eat.

Go shoot your dad you little bitch.

Also
>rotten food
>he cooked red meat that had turned black and chicken that had practically turned green from being left uncovered in the fridge for over a week
>we didn't have electricity for six months out of he year, used a generator for the freezer but that would still cut out so he would cook the thawed food from the freezer that had been there in the middle of the summer for a day or two

At least I have an iron stomach now I guess. He is a decent cook with proper and fresh ingredients and loves cooking so if I'm visiting my mom I'll usually go grocery shopping for them. Makes him happy but I bought my little brother a fridge we his in his closet and I fill it up for him. If it wasn't for my mom or little brother(who is 18, just autistic as fuck) I wouldn't do it. He knows he will rot in neglect in a retirement home like he did with his mother.

>parents never cut the fat off of meat
>"that's what gives it the flavor!"

>mummy dearest never really knew how to cook but always tried her best
>excited and supportive when I took an interest in cooking myself
>tfw learning to cook together and helping eachother improve a little bit every day

it is.

I'm Mexican so it's mostly a matter of every steak being well done. I didn't have medium rare till a few years ago

But it has a gross texture.

I experienced this... also the only restaurants my parents ever went out to were buffets. It sucks that they introduced me to zero culture. I was left so inept.

Example
>be me on high school trip with small club i was in (about 10 people).
>teacher has high school's credit card and asks everyone where they want to go eat
>OUTBACK
>fine
>i've never been to a steak house before
>I'm the first one the waiter asks for an order
>umm..... 8 oz s-sirloin
>"and how do you want that cooked"
>have no clue what sort of answer he is looking for
>pause awkwardly for 10 seconds until he realizes I'm a moron and lists all the possible ways
>"w-well done"
>other students and the teacher start snickering
>Only manage to chew and swallow two bites of the scorching hot piece of leather i was served

FUCK YOU MOM AND DAD

you don't have to eat the large chunks of fat but it's better to cook the meat with it most of the time.

Try cutting your porkchops such that you get a piece of fat on a piece of meat rather than trying to eat a strip of fat on its own.

I don't think you realize what marinade is supposed to do

it's supposed to be absorbed into the meat and tenderise it and it does neither.

My parents both cooked, were good at it and did it every day. Didn't taste a store-bought meal until I was 22 or something. Still never buy them, I just cook for myself 7 days a week (though I might just cook 3 or 4 times and heat leftovers)

>most kids get turkey dinosaurs and a packed lunch of cheese and margarine sandwiches
Just because you had an abhorrent childhood doesn't mean "most" did. Your life is not a representation of society.

the point stands - you think that life is abhorrent, getting pork chops and steak and grilled chicken certainly isn't.

idk if what the user said was true and there was no seasoning it sounds pretty bad. and what kind of a dinner is a porkchop? where are the side dishes? the veggies? where is the salad? nobody in their right mind eats just a piece of meat and calls it a dish let alone a dinner

And it gives the meat flavor you autist

burgers in general can't cook unless their parents are 1st generation immigrants. obviously can't apply statistics to individuals but they eat more frozen crap and fast food than anyone. can you imagine parents driving home from work and grabbing mcdonalds on the way home, then serving it as a dinner to family? I sure can't

My mom wasa professional chef before I was born and she was an amazing cook, I always looked forward to the delicious meals she would prepare.

the same way a sauce does. it doesn't actually get inside the meat and make it taste good.

>nobody in their right mind eats just a piece of meat and calls it a dish let alone a dinner

a) yes they do
b) i doubt that is literally all his parents do. he was just trying to exaggerate the shittiness with hyperbolic language and lies by omission. i'm sure they do mashed potatoes and peas and corn and stuff like anyone else. the point he was making ws that they don't season meat

You must've gotten one helluva immune system

My dad is probably the worst cook in the world, it isn't that he is incapable it's just he can't be arsed. However, he is the greatest man I know

My mother on the other hand is a great cook, but she is a horrible and manipulative person.

I chose to live with my dad, I think I made the right decision despite all those horrible dinners

My dad eats like a child. He's an excellent (mostly Italian) chef but he only eats red meat. So we'd either eat beef or vegetarian food every day. He wouldn't even eat chicken let alone fish. I eat everything as does my mom so whenever dad wasn't home we'd experiement. The tradition has lived on in another form, I still get together with my mom every other week or so to try out new restaurants, as varied in ethnicity as possible.

Upside is I try to visit my parents for dinner every sunday and in the 5 years I've lived away from home 98% of sunday meals had been beef fillet steak or salmon fillet. I don't mind fulfilling my steak fix, with rent and bills and shit I don't see myself buying a good steak every week.

I can't for the life of me understand how someone can love cooking and make everything as autistically as possible taking 8 hours to make lasagna etc. and have such a limited range what they will eat. No spicy food either or anything with ethnic seasoning. Mediterranean only. Even greek is exotic to him, don't even try south of the mediterranean. But when he makes Italian food every ingredient had to be just right, imported marsala and everything.

>in their right mind
Though I agree, they probably had beans from a can or something. Is mash potatoes sold in a can? Well it's not like it's that hard to mash some potatoes and they're half-free.