American Food Thread

what foods would you consider quintessentially american foods?

>fried chicken
>burgers
>hot dogs
>macaroni and cheese
>chili
>iced tea
>lemonade
>fruit punch
>coca cola
>barbecue anything

Other urls found in this thread:

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/barbecue
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

freedom fries
pepperoni pizza
cold pork lo mein from 3 days ago while standing in front of an open fridge at 2:30 in the morning in a kitchen with the lights off only being illuminated by the light from the refrigerator

I'm not american but I feel like fried chicken and burgers are the two most emblematic foods from you abroad

Hell, KFC and fried chicken as a whole were rather rare in France until the last decade. Nuggers were common though.

Gumbo, Jumbalaya and Apple Pies

Spaghetti
Pizza
Tacos
Burritos
Casseroles
Fried chicken
Stir fry
Sushi
Burgers
Meatloaf
Lots of very local and personal dishes
Nobody aside from a few freaks eat hot dogs more than once every few months

Also, buy spaghetti i mean spaghetti noodles covered in this(with ground beef)

Just to be clear, i am not saying these originate from america nor am i saying we made them better. But we made them ours and its what we eat.

>Anything from Canada
>Anything from the U.S.
>Anything from Mexico

I'm assuming OP meant North America (pro-tip, there's a South America).

Sorry, your pedanticness won't work here. The USA is the only North American country who's name has the word "America" in it (Canada=Canada, Mexico=United Mexican States). Therefore, America will always refer to USA.

>inb4 South American Countries
They have their own names in their own language

Do you know what a continent is?

Nothing
The USA is a mongrel nation made of European settlers and African slaves, anything that got out of this "country" is a bastardization of both of those cultures.
Truly a disgusting shithole not even worthy of nuking.

Do you know what a nationality is?

Do you know what moving the goal posts is?

Apparently you don't since that's what you're trying to do

Really? So when posts ask, "Do Americans really _____?" you think they refer to the US, Canada, and Mexico?

Deep fried butter

Franks and beans

I assume so because it would be logically correct, unless those OP's are just retarded.

Are they all retarded?

That's scottish, dummy

>>iced tea
hsssssss

not all of america does this. about half. it's a fucking nightmare. it's essentially colored sugar water. So much fucking sugar, it's crunchy.

If your sweet tea is crunchy, you did it wrong, yank.

This. Especially in the South do they over sweeten it.

If you cut it half way with un sweet it's perfect though

Euro in Ameriland here.
Barbecue sauce. I know the rest of the English speaking world eats it, too, but it started in the US. My country only started eating it about 15 years ago or so, so I think of it as extremely new and very American.
Also oatmeal cookies. The chewy type. Brits make crunchy ones, but chewy oatmeal cookies are extremely American. Chewy cookies in general, maybe, like chocolate chip.

>lemonade
>iced tea
>fried chicken
Not so much, especially lemonade.

Im curious what foreign countries consider "American food." can any yuropeans elaborate?

One people dont mention on here so much is hotdish. Pretty sure that is a 100% American invention

Hamburgers were invented in Hamburg, Germany retard

Chicago is the only city in the USA that has good American food.. behold the deep dish pizza, the reason why immigrants flock to Chicago.

only good with lemonade mixed in for that Arnold Palmer mix.

Thought of another: pb&j sandwiches. We eat jam toast back home, but not as a sandwich and certainly not with peanut butter (which isn't common there at all).
Also, "Chinese" boneless ribs in that sickly sweet see-thu, reddish sauce.

>2 italian things, 2 mexican things, 2 universal to all cultures on earth things, 1 pan-asian thing, 1 japanese thing, 1 pan-european thing
The only thing on that list that's American is burgers, tho.

why would he mean north america if he said america?

>The only thing on that list that's American is burgers, tho.

These are the things americans eat. So they are american foods.

Imagirlsogirlparts.jpg

I thought immigrants fled to Chicago because they could murder people without repercussions.

>drinking tea with sugar
just have a coke at that point

By that logic, Swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingonberry sauce is Icelandic since IKEA's restaurant is the most popular place to eat in Iceland.

Motherfuckers, America owns the entire soul/comfort genre. Chicken fried steak, meatloaf, ham and beans, chicken and dumps, pork chops and applesauce, ribs, etc. That's all us.

>That's all us.
Just because you eat more of it, doesn't mean you pioneered or own anything.

I didnt say spaghetti wasnt italian. In italy, spaghetti is a pasta. In the. US its a dish with spaghetti and a tomatoe (usually meat) sauce.

I'm no expert, but the comfort genre is absolutely credited to the American South. I'm not enough of a culinary historian to tell you where much of anything is "pioneered" at, but I can say with utmost certainty that whoever pioneered it, we sure in the fuck mastered it, and therefore own it.

Do other countries really not eat fried chicken? I mean, all you do is take a chicken and fry it. How fucking hard is that to invent?

pepper spray

unsweet iced tea is also super common. Iced tea and lemonade were always the go-to's (sweet or unsweet) on a summer day before soda took over.

>chicken fried steak
My country eats that.
>meatloaf
My country eats that.
>ham and beans
My country eats that.
>chicken and dump[ling]s
My country eats that.
>pork chops and applesauce
My country eats that.
>(presumably [barbecue pork]) ribs
That might be yours because, as I said above, barbecue sauce is a foreign concept to us.

Do you think your European forebears just spontaneously came up with that stuff only after crossing the Atlantic or something? Of course not.
We call chicken-friend steak rindschnitzel (or cotoletta di manzo), meatloaf is hackbraten (or polpettone) and the other foods you mentioned, save ribs, are just direct, word-for-word translations of what you called them. They're about as American as carrot cake (which comes from us, too).
Know what is uniquely American, though? Armadillo eggs. They're a cheese-stuffed chilli wrapped in mince. Had them in TX. Fucking delicious. Why aren't they better known throughout the country? Jalapeno poppers are pretty well-known, but not armadillo eggs? Fuck me, they damn well should be.

>chicken friend steak
>findingnemosharks.png
Chickens are friends, not steaks.

As someone who grew up in New Orleans I wholeheartedly agree, the only place that kinda stands up to the south is NYC, but leave the city and all of the food goes to shit. Southern Cooking will always be superior, /had some fried chicken about 20 min north of Natchez that made me make sounds it was so good, then the black owner(had to say because blacks are so fucking good a comfort food) came with a FREE blackberry cobbler that made me go retarded for a second it was so good. And that is a normal thing to come by in the South, Northernfags will never learn.

of course other countries have fried chicken, but we do it the best

>of course other countries have fried chicken, but we do it the best
Not really. Japanese and Korean chicken places offer better and more varied fried chickens.

>comparing Euroshit BBQ to the Southern US god BBQ
Fuck off, ours is so much better than y'alls it is in a whole other food categorie

But I would argue Cajun food is distinctly American, never been to any other countries that make our type of food. We are the only US food culture that will literally cook anything and make it taste great. I grew up eating Robin, Frogs, crawfish, turtles, anything that flew, hogs, deer, alligator(is shit unless cooked by a professional) and most everything in the water. We eat squirrels and apparently that isn't done in a lot of other places. Went to Germany and freaked everyone out showing them pictures of all the shit we eat.

Pic related, you can eat these fuckers raw.

Having a better variety doesn't come close to Southern American Fried chicken, there's a reason most a lot of southerners are fat and asians aren't, our food is too fucking good and theirs isn't

>there's a reason most a lot of southerners are fat and asians aren't, our food is too fucking good and theirs isn't
No, it's because southerners take in way more calorie than they burn.

America takes food from other countries and makes them not weird

You tell him. Just because everyone else in the world thinks differently doesn't mean they're right! Language isn't meant for communication! I love Americans, but those from the United States are all fat!

>there's a reason most a lot of southerners are fat and asians aren't, our food is too fucking good and theirs isn't
Why don't Asians just eat southern food and get fat? Why don't the rest of the world? So many questions.

>noodles originated in China
>that means spaghetti is actually Chinese, not Italian

Yeah, part of your post is stupid, but Cajun food is distinctly american. That's it. That's the best we got. Swamp rats, native americans, blacks who escaped slavery living in the swamps, and of course the arcadians expelled from Canada created a fucking godtier food culture the likes of which most of the world has never tasted. Multiculturalism producing the best of america.

Really makes you think.

cajun food is disgusting.

>Cajun
I'm English and I really want to try this style of food, I've never been to America, though. I love spicy and rich sauces. I found this and thought it might be fun to try some oven-baked chicken to get a feel for what cajun is like.

Otherwise I'd have tried to make some shrimp gumbo-type dish.

Lol THIS. Its the drug hub for all the mexican cartels and is like a 24/7 war zone

How high are you right now? Or retarded? it's gotta be one or the other.
I specifically said barbecue is American but not of that other stuff is since we have them in my country, too and you think I'm "comparing euro bbq with american bbq?"

Pasta is made from semolina, which doesn't grow natively in Chingchongland. Modern semolina pasta, which is actually a North African thing, and Asian noodles came spontaneously before either culture ever encountered the other.

Cajun, creole and lowcountry cuisines are the shining jewels in the crown of American cuisine. And they're all southern. The reaason you will never have them is because fat American southerners seldom ever leave the tricounty area they were born in, never mind travel to a whole 'nother country. Those cuisines are even difficult to find done properly in the US itself because of this very reason. It's a shame.

anything with gelatin

>Pasta is made from semolina
Flour

Good on you Britanon. is right though, real cajun-creole can be tough to find even in the 'states. Some of the biggest things you'll need are mastery of roux, especially if you can make them with multiple fats (butter, bacon, veal, etc); blackening spice and a good pan-searing technique; a taste for seafood and shellfish. You need your shrimp, your crawfish, your crab, your mussels, your oysters; French bread for po'boys and garlic bread on the side; the Holy Trinity (carrots, onion, and bell pepper, NOT a mirepoix of carrots, onion, and celery); a good knowledge of French technique, mixed with spices and chiles from the Caribbean.

Once you have your techniques and ingredients down, you need to know your sausages. Cajun andouille is NOT French andouette. Boudin is a sausage stuff with rice.

Trust me user even something simple like red beans & rice can be the most delicious comfort food you've ever had once you have your cajun-creole method down.

Those ingredients are expensive and I can't get those sausage in the UK. "French technique" what? I'm not a good cook or anything but I can follow recipes. I remember one time my mum got a jar of southern Louisiana sauce for pasta from the store here and it was insanely hot but so delicious, they stopped making it, though.

I'm not a huge fan of seafood, I prefer chicken or beef. I looked up chicken etouffee and found it on Youtube but it looked kind of plain. The other interesting stuff is seafood.

Honestly I think I'd just be willing to visit America once just to try out Cajun food. I'd like to visit the south and real places not New York or L.A.

Maybe a visit through Alabama, Lousiana and ending up in Texas for BBQ would be good.

It's gotta be the hole-in the wall mom & pop diners for best eats down here.

More inspiration for Britanon to learn the goodness of cajun-creole.

fucking home run man. lol

Thats a lot of ground to cover heh.

>>fried chicken
yes
>>burgers
no
>>hot dogs
no
>>macaroni and cheese
no
>>chili
no
>>iced tea
no
>>lemonade
no
>>fruit punch
no
>>coca cola
yes
>>barbecue anything
no

That looks delicious except the claw sticking out, it's pretentious.

Thanks for saying I was right. :3
Now, I'm sorry to tell you this, but you were wrong about something. Trinity is onion, celery and bell pepper. There is no carrot in it. I'm not even from this country and I knew that. Kys, Amerifriend.

t. Euro who loves cajun/creole/lowcountry cuisines and cooks it pretty damn well

Semolina.

Any frozen premade meals. My wife is from Europe and she has never seen so many premade meals

Congrats, you eat all American foods in your country. You must feel patriotic as fuck. America is #1!

Whoops, you're right. Got in a hurry.

After my first year of living in the US, I took the whole summer off and traveled a bit. I went from NY, where I was living, down i95, the main east coast thoroughfare southward. Between NY and DC, food is fairly homogeneous but started from central Virginia southward, you start to notice extreme regionality not unlike my home country. It was a wonderful trip and I ate well. I hated Atlanta, though. When I got there, I immediately wanted to GTFO, so I started westward through Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana, ending in Houston to visit friends. I traveled back eastward then north through the Ozarks into Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and back to New York via New Jersey.
I've seen a lot of the US south, though of course my 10 weeks of travel can't hold a candel to the experience of people who actually live there, but all the same, I gained an appreciation for the south. And while some people down there are fucking awful, you can pick them out easily from quite a long distance so they're easy to avoid. The rest of them are 10/10 people. But then, I'm white and can speak English with little discernible accent. My experience might've been different were this not the case. I don't know. What I do know, though, is that the food is wonderful. And is it just me, or does even chain fastfood junk taste better down south? White Castle in Tennessee is way better than the ones in NY.

I do, cuz I'm an American citizen now.
But those foods are about as American as I am IE they're from the old world, became a part of this culture, but aren't actually from here.

For barbecue, you need to hit Memphis, Tennessee for baby back ribs; North and South Carolina for whole hog and pulled pork; Texas for brisket and sausage; Kansas City for a little of everything (ribs, pulled pork, brisket, sausage, chicken, you know it.)

>tfw not american

Yes. America is #1

Dude, there was a thread a few weeks ago where a guy did an OC gumbo. After you get the roux down, add the trinity, you can add anything you want. You have smoked sausages, right? If they don't have much spice add more cayenne to the gumbo. Don't want seafood? Add fucking chicken or lamb. It's much like curry with it's own take created by people who had never heard about curry. You can do this.

If we mean specifically american foods that originated here:

Hamburgers
Barbecue
Mac and Cheese
Cajun and Creole cuisines
Tex-Mex

>not mentioning owensboro or floribbean
Owensboro black barbecue sauce is delicious, albeit simple, and its tang goes really well with lamb's fattiness.
Mine is made of equal parts worcestershire sauce, vinegar and molasses, freshly powdered spices (allspice, dry onion, black pepper and dry garlic) to taste, soy sauce to taste and a volume of water equal to the total volume of the other ingredients. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, for several minutes then stir in the juice of one lemon per half gallon/2 litres of sauce (I make a lot at a time, as it keeps in the fridge for literally years due to the high sugar, acid and salt content).
Rub some fatty lamb breast with stuff, slow smoke over a mix of hickory and pecan until it's just falling apart and serve that shit with the sauce. So. Fucking. Good.

Frito pie
Chili cheese hot dogs
Chili cheese French fries

>fried chicken
China
>burgers
Belgium
>hot dogs
German
>macaroni and cheese
Italian
>chili
Mexico
>iced tea
India
>lemonade
Spain
>fruit punch
England
>coca cola
Canada
>barbecue anything
Australia

you seem triggered

Hah, nobody knows about Owensboro mutton barbecue except people that live here. I don't mention it because it's not on that Memphis-Carolina-Texas-Kansas city level, but damn it's good.

>Australia
>the nation that wasn't even a penal colony until after the United States was up and running
Eat shit, Aussie.

But herr Hitler, Germany still does not have nuclear capabilities seventy years after your death!

Maybe
Just maybe
Other countries have an inferior quality of life due to their heathen ways

I don't live there and I know about it. I'm a bit of an Ameriboo.
I forgot to mention brining: gotta brine that lamb in a mix of pickle juice and beer before you hang it to drip dry then add your rub. Does it have to be Mt Olive brand or is that just what everyone in the area uses because it's the most popular brand of pickles sold there? I use Claussen brine.

OH BABY

Isn't it cute when Aussies think confuse grilling with smoking?

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/barbecue

>fried chicken
I notice this more as a filipino/korean thing

>chilli
con carne

>iced tea
???

biscuits and sausage gravy

Nobody said tex-mex? That's distinctly American, and my Mexican friend would scream bloody terror if I said otherwise.

yeah it's common if you're in fucking berkley you disgusting granola, go do some hot yoga with your toy poodle

Macaroni and Cheese is British.
From wikipedia:
>The first modern recipe for the dish was included in Elizabeth Raffald's 1770 book, The Experienced English Housekeeper. Raffald's recipe is for a Béchamel sauce with cheddar cheese—a Mornay sauce in French cooking—which is mixed with macaroni, sprinkled with Parmesan, and baked until bubbly and golden.