How do I decide whether or not to switch to math in university?

How do I decide whether or not to switch to math in university?

Talk to an advisor, someone in your current department, someone in the math department

Are your math teachers Marxists?

Yea.

Do you want to switch to math?

Yea.

Why major in math?

You'll just end up as a computer programmer

It's the best decision that I have made

Math is useless as a major by itself. It is, however, nice as a supplement to something like engineering or CS. If you want to major in math because you like it, just choose one of the majors I listed and take the few extra math classes you need to double major.

If you want to teach math, well, you can do that with the degrees I listed, too. Math is an easy as fuck major full of elective choices. You are supposed to have another idea in mind, and use those elective slots to minor/double major in something where your mathematical knowledge is useful

Accounting & tax is pretty comfy.

I want to go to grad school and see where that leads me

Debt. It will lead you into debt and a job in an office behind a computer staring at numbers and code for 9 hours a day. WOOOO

Lots of stupid answers in this thread.

>Math is useless as a major by itself
Outside of going to grad school, this is absolutely true.

>Math is an easy as fuck major full of elective choices
Not sure where you get this idea from. The number of elective choices varies from school to school. Also math classes are probably the most difficult courses at the school.

Nothing to do with a math degree

You don't go into debt for grad school

But to actually answer you, OP, I wouldn't advise getting a math degree and going to grad school just to "see where that leads" you. Math grad school is doing math for 5+ hours a day every day for very little pay. If doing math isn't your favorite thing to do in life, you really should not go to grad school. If you are unsure about majoring in it, just go to a lecture. I'd recommend going to an analysis, algebra, or number theory lecture to see what the field of mathematics is all about

Never said accounting/tax had to do with a math degree. It's still a pretty decent major.

Depends on how good you are. There are definitely industries that need mathematicians (finance, any sort of logistics). These people are well paid and are not code monkeys. But you need to be good at more than pure math, you need to be able to program and do statistics and data analysis and all that jazz.

Good post.

It's also worth pointing out that mathematics may become more valuable in the future if machine learning turns out to not be a meme after all.

Don't listen to clueless tards. Math degrees are very well liked in finance, insurance, consulting and tech. Of course you should decide which one you want to start in ASAP and do internships.

That being said you should only do it if you're passionate about math, obviously. Otherwise you'll hate it.

>muh six figure starting salary

We'll just unsure because ideally I'd want an academic job but I think those are hard to come by in Canada so maybe grad school could open up other options?

dont do math you have already failed by posting in literature

Well*

I just like this community

You don't fucking ask for advice on Veeky Forums for starters

You're right.

Replying to
After reading the thread as someone who works at AmaGooFaceSoft,

is most correct.

Math is like a recipe which begins,

>You will need the following ingredients:

>Eggs
>Flour
>Salt
>Sugar
>Milk

Which is to say, it can combo into pretty much any recipe you want, but you can't just mix all of the above into a bowl randomly without preparation and eat it or you'll vomit.

Know what you want to do with your math degree, and do the side work necessary to convince people in the field you're qualified, and it's pretty much never a bad choice. Tech is an easy choice because (theoretically) the logical skills transfer, and (culturally) engineers inexplicably revere and envy the study of mathematics as being "more pure", which makes finding a job easier than it ought to be for someone outside the field.

Ignore people who say math is long memorization of boring computation, that's HIGH SCHOOL math and the intro calculus courses you can largely skip with good grades on AP exams or by taking community college classes.

Honest-to-god upper division college math is basically solving puzzles like the ones you'd get every now and then in school like

>Johnny is twice as old as Mike, Mike is twice the age Steve will be in 3 years, blah blah blah, how old is everyone?

that rely on having connective insights which let you convert the garbage in front of you into something you can usefully think about.

This connectives skill is an important life skill that I think everyone needs, and all types of engineering and literary pursuits demand it, so you pretty much can't go wrong with math.

If you're not sure, take the intro calc series in full, intro differential equations and linear algebra, and then either take proof-based real analysis or linear algebra. Either of the last two will push you to your absolute limit, and if it makes you want more or you can at least tolerat it, math is for you.

>tldr

>Engineers inexplicably revere and envy the study of mathematics as being "more pure"

Why does this happen, anyways?

In like 3rd year of undergrad math gets super abstract whereas engineering moves on to applying math concepts studied to the relevant systems they deal with, so pure math has some esoteric quality to it

i think he wanted you to explain the inexplicable, or at least i did

Yeah, just do it, faggot.