youtube.com/watch?v=cJ808qZDT_U
youtube.com/watch?v=GzgVn5ZIpMU
youtube.com/watch?v=1s8R_KJ9A8Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How can you read so much for so little?

This... in real life
youtube.com/watch?v=RzrwqlUsqKk

Cancer.

i don't get it, why is YA so popular? are books now seen as a cultural product now to shape an identity?

Looks like youtube

>are books now seen as a cultural product now to shape an identity

lel.

what do you think books are exactly, or are supposed to be?

everything is now a cultural product to shape your identity

the moderately successful booktubers get review copies of books because publishers know that people actually watch their content and buy books as a result. pretty crazy, i originally thought that this was just audience-less self-indulgence but someone is watching these

please leave before i hurt you

Booktubers are narcissists who wish they could write but have no talent, and now they are becoming more famous than the actual authors they review.

Booktubers are the true story. The true artists. The true artists.

The writers are just funnels to them, for the hungry masses to idolize their e-celebs. It was never about the books, it was about the cult of personality and writers are so beta that booktubers have rose up and stolen the only thunder they had.

An enthusiastic young person who wants to share her hobby.

Everything we do looks vain and narcissistic through the right lens.

The publishing industry is recognizing this btw, and are starting to give the booktubers the deals instead of the writers. It is a kind of darwinian phenomenon, and shows that narcissism will always beat talent.

>becoming more famous than the actual authors they review

Yeah. More and more universities are dedicating entire courses to booktubers over great authors.

Just let people have fun man. You're idea that this is a manifestation of some larger social degeneracy is ill-minded. And the only thing this kind of thinking accomplishes is thinning out your friend-pool.

Is there a way to monetize booktubing without doing much work? Like, could I read YA fantasy and give it undergraduate-level literary critique and corner a market to get millions of viewers and make ad money? It seems like booktubers don't even offer superficial criticism, but only record their subjective reactions. Is there a market for this? I don't care how much garbage I have to read, I'd do it.

commodity fetishism and the culture industry

Probably, especially if you're good looking. Make sure your background is clean. Pause a lot and say something "meaningful". Really pretend that what you're reading made you contemplate life. Ninja market the fuck out of your channel.

anyone in the mood for some milk and cookies?

I doubt it honestly. A lot of the appeal of booktube is the relatability of the content creators. Viewers just want to see someone like them reading books like them so they can feel like they are part of something.

Like you're right, if you watch their reviews it's just like "this character was dumb" or "I didn't like that the plot went this way". But that's what the viewers want

Who would you rather back, as a publisher. The writer, or the person with 1,000,000 audience, all who will buy the book? You can't deny it, the demographic is going to shift, and booktubers will take the authors place.

I don't understand the appeal of fucking ya. I was convinced by a friend to reach out and try to meet people that share the same interest of literature as i, and looked for a bookclub on meetup.com, and fucking a, every group only reads ya. And the fucked up part is that the groups are for people in their fucking 20s.

Just curious. What age do you think is young adult?

great scam if you can get it. paid to skim and deliver high school book reports. I'd take that job over working construction.

>now

I'd fine with them if it was some professor reviewing classics, not a bunch of attention whores wearing fake glasses and telling what they didn't like in some modern shit ya book.

It is absurd that you people are so on edge about this. Whether it is narcissitic or not, why do you care so much? It doesn't effecr you in any way.

No, publishers are not making contracts with these people, because none of these people make these accounts to become writers.

No, they are not negatively influencing potential canon readers into reading YA, because the people who watch these videos are not going to be reading Joyce or Yeats.

The only people who should be laughed or scorned at here are you people, spending your time deploring something so trivial it actually distracts you from what you deem important.

Grow up.

ANSWER

>artists will always come second to whores

Somebody stop the fucking presses.

John Green can suck my dick.

>not one of them buys second hand
this offends me on a deep, personal level

this

No you. Poop face.

Atleast they're not virtue signaling motherfuckers like the guys who crack their brains reading Ulysses here

this ugly son of a bitch is fucking super hot milfs and basically you are stupid

Looks good desu

Is it so hard to believe? these people are low IQ and never for one second think what they are reading is meant for 10 year olds. It is a culture of low self awareness, usually women who are held to no standards.

I watched the first video. Maybe it's because I am not an American but if someone tried to speak to me in that manner, with that cadence and inflection, I'd put their head through the fucking wall.

youtube.com/watch?v=cJ808qZDT_U

I have some questions

1) Do these lads read all the books they buy?

2) Do they attempt to read literature?

3) When they read a book, do they reflect on it and consider it's meaning, or is it 100% pure entertainment?

wrong im a hermit

There have always been celebrities. You're all over the place. Remove your head from your ass.

You're right.

The people here think this way because they wanna believe it's them vs the world while simultaneously maintaining their superiority complex over other young people.

This.

>muh precious western canon!!
>these utubers are destroy the fabric of reading!!
>**proceed to spend 3 hours watching them**
>they are destroying reading!
>**proceeds to spend 2 hours discussing how they hate them**
>**5 hours wasted on what could have been canon reading**

Cringe

You were fine until "grow up". Kys.
>hurr proviing my point
kys
There's plenty of reason to laugh at these people.

The point which you failed to comprehend is that the amount of time spent negatively discussing something so trivial is counter intuitive to the "point" being made.

YA is for 16-18 yo.

>Kys
>proviing
>kys

Hmmmmmmm

Not the same user but the ones who are always shitting on these YA people and making threads about them are young and bored. Young bored kids are going to do stupid and petty shit. Stop the presses apparently this is an unexpected outrage.

Critics have always been in a power struggle with authors. They create, elevate, ruin, censor, and bury authors.

But ultimately they are nothing without authors, because authors generate their power. They are basically parasitic/symbiotic.

*tears your anus apart 'till bleeding with my 7 inch cock*
heh.... nothin personnel kid...

Lol what a stupid dichotomy

>Look at me guys! See how smart I am! I am neutral on this subject which means that I am smarter than everyone else.
Leave. Now... Or I will be forced to do something drastic.

What does this mean? Marketing being a massive factor in budgets is nothing new. Are you suggesting publishers are just going to give booktubers book deals? They're already doing a fine job advertising for them for cheap.

Top kek. Or, you know, they are just a bunch of narcissists who like to show off and make a quick buck by doing so.

What do you mean?

I think he means
>spend time reading 5000 pages
>it's all been poorly written narratives about teenagers and their teenager problems
>with lots of fantastic elements thrown in, or maybe they want to keep it "real" but so, so sad
In the meantime you could have read In Search of Lost Time.

>3) When they read a book, do they reflect on it and consider it's meaning, or is it 100% pure entertainment?

They shut their brains off and read the words, and the words have definitions which they understand. But that is the extent of it. They did a study that said most peoples attention span is about three sentences long. That's the dirty secret of publishing, that no one is actually reading the books.

Not that guy bu he probably meant that YA holds no substance. It is reading for the story.

It is already happening, the top booktubers are getting publishing deals and becoming best selling authors. I have seen three already

>It's a middling attractive girly summarizes the plot of a book on her video recorder for an audience episode

DONT TRY to say something bad about my wife (Megan) -_-

SHe makes a sexy 'dumb face' though, she has the kind of eyes that she has sucked a lot of dicks

>Search for writing tips on YouTube
>Get all these twenty something women in the results
>Decide since I'm not trying to rewrite the wheel I'll check it out
>All their advice isn't bad, but shallow and kind of obvious
>They are all writers themselves, working on their first book
>Look at the samples some put up
>It's all YA trash
>All of it
>It's seriously pretty bad
>Realize I'm taking advice from amateur writers who know don't shit
>Stop watching their videos

Yes, but they will be the millionaire best sellers. They speak the normies language.

Nah, one of them already released their book and it only has like a 3.5 on goodreads. Normies don't love it. Don't hate it, but don't love it.

>They speak the normies language.
How can Joyce even compete?

Stephen
(Triumphaliter.) Salvi facti i sunt.
(He flourishes his ashplant shivering the lamp image, shattering light over the world. A liver and white spaniel on the prowl slinks after him, growling. Lynch scares it with a kick.)

Lynch
So that?

Stephen
(Looks behind.) So that gesture, not music not odours, would be a universal
language, the gift of tongues rendering visible not the lay sense but the first
entelechy, the structural rhythm.

It's annoying to Americans as well. This is the typical liberal that pretends they are smarter and better than anyone else.

He was making a joke.
"Little" as in "little money", a great deal.

No, I wasn't.

And meanwhile, nobody on Veeky Forums has even come close to to receiving an email back from a publishing company. What is the world coming to?

Do you think this is another failure of the public school system? Or is it part of a larger problem with the over-infantilization of practically every aspect of society? And if so, what is the purpose of this movement? Who is at fault?

It is a result of capitalist demands forcing parents to work and neglect their kids. If the liberals had their way, people would have more free time to raise their kids right.

But, would this stop the infantilization of adulthood?

Also, going to your original point, how can one pretend to be smarter than there when the actual education is trash. Is the threshold that low that just because one reads shitty book, and air of superiority can be cast upon you?

Why are their thumbnails so sexual? You could easily replace those stacks of books with giant cocks.

A lot of people from my high school, more than half, read literally zero books, like since high school started and afterwards. The average booktuber does read more than them.

I don't know if it's trash education, over-focus on entertainment, late capitalism, or what, but it's not a good place that we're in

You're not me

>implying that anyone on lit has written anything worth publishing

They're all whores trying to get views
Most of them do their videos in clothes that show off their tits as much as possible

I like tits though...

hngg, I like trips even more

There is no way I can read that many books in a month or 2. Should I be ashamed?

>it doesn't affect you, why care?????

post discarded

Easy accesible escapism, and it brings meaning to their lives, they identify as a "booktuber" and have something in common with others that follow and worship them, I should know I'm one of them

No, because they don't read them as well. They collect them solely to display and gush about for fake internet points.

>he thinks they actually read them

booktubers got butthurt with this guy when he called them out

youtube.com/watch?v=GzgVn5ZIpMU

Young Adult is for people in their early teens(12-13) to the age of 18.

People in their early 20s are young adults, but the content of the books marketed for 'young adults' is stuff for teenagers

>How does caring about your appearance correlate to reading? This just brings back the age old stereotype that women who care about their appearance can't possibly be intelligent or have interests outside of physical beauty. The ONLY thing that makes someone a reader is an interest in books. And guess what? People can have more than one interest gasp

>You might be good at sensing "real readers", I'm good at sensing sexist assholes. What a coincidence, I smell one right now.

>You must have an extraordinarily small imagination if you can't picture someone simultaneously wearing makeup and reading a book. The sexism, ageism, condescension and general ignorance you have here is some top quality content. Great job, keep it up.

kek, he is /ourguy/

Blown the fuck out, how will normies ever recover?

he reminds them of their dad

kek

>pushes dislike button
That will teach the bad man to stop criticizing our embellished book models!

I used to be one of those "why not both" people but then I realized that doing both takes more hours than there are in the day

You used to wear makeup AND read books? Absolute madman, how did you do it??

post feet :3

Yeah, but same thing with makeup reviewers, fashion vlogs, those little rich girls who make videos about shit they got for their birthday, etc etc

>peruse won't ever deepthroat your fat dick while making a o-face and peace signs

Fuck my life

Don't be an ass, you know know exactly what I mean.

I have watched a few of the most popular "booktubers" and the only one that doesn't trigger me is one called Emily. That's partially because she's hot and also because she's the only one that, even though reads all the YA crazy, seems she would actually have the mental ability to appreciate an actual good book when presented with such

I meant crap not crazy damn autocorrector

youtube.com/watch?v=1s8R_KJ9A8Y

>classic literature can't be read in translation

Veeky Forums plebs btfo as well. Go learn latin you fags