Can someone explain the Faulkner meme to me? It's gotten trite rather quick. Are you guys being ironic or something?

Can someone explain the Faulkner meme to me? It's gotten trite rather quick. Are you guys being ironic or something?

Nigger wtf are you talking about

i've read Light in August, As I Lay Dying, Absalom, Absalom and The Sound and the Fury, and i would say Light in August reads most like his mission statement. if you havent read that you should

i started reading The Sound and the Fury but i have absolutely no idea what the fuck is going on and i'm ~50 pages in

Man you are fucking stupid hahaha

If you are not from the South you can never get understand it

protip: you are reading random, disjointed and mixed-up memories being recalled by a 33 year-old man with the cognitive ability of a toddler

i did the exact same thing and gave up on it. I mean, I understood that it was meant to be fractionated and difficult to follow, and it was actually an interesting method for awhile, but i would rather read an actual story where meaning or value can be extracted, at least at this time in my life. Maybe i am still a pleb and haven't elevated myself to that level of literary profundity, but i prefer formalism for the time being.

I am from the South and I don't understand faulker
mostly because I cannot read

Is Faulkner joining the Veeky Forums Meme Pantheon alongside Joyce, DFW, and Pynchon? Fuck yeah, this I can get behind.

It most certainly already has, friend.

Fuckboy Faulkner's way too purple for my tastes.

is hemingway the only author you read then

I unironically enjoy the meme authors. The best being Gaddis, of course.

Prosefags btfo

>Prosefags btfo
why?

>Faulkner
>not purple
>Faulkner once baffled his French translator with a sentence he may well have composed while under the influence, admitting to him, “I have absolutely no idea of what I meant. You see, I usually write at night. I always keep my whiskey within reach.”

>great writer
>Mississippi

pick one

lol no, there's only room enough for one sparse depraved american author, and that's McCarthy.

Run along now

This

we invented the blues and rock 'n roll, yankee scum

You were also the first ones to marry your sisters, Cletus.

>he doesn't fuck his sister

Keep going. The first two chapters are told from the perspective of a mentally handicapped and highly neurotic member of the Campson family respectively.

All you really need to get from the first chapter is Bengi's feelings towards his sister Caddy, the fact that there are two Quentins, one male, one female. A lot of events are obliquely alluded to in the first two chapters, and as the number of allusions increases the general picture becomes clear. It's a pretty wonderful read desu, keep going.

Is incest Veeky Forums?

It's a book that's meant to be read twice. All of the fractured stuff basically sets up the rest of the novel and it actually gets easier as you read it.