Recently got about 1.5 kg of corned beef silverside. I've never cooked this before...

Recently got about 1.5 kg of corned beef silverside. I've never cooked this before. I know that you are supposed to simmer it for about 2 hours till it turns tender, the problem is that all the recipes i can find call for stuff that i mostly do not have.

I just recently moved so i dont have much herbs/spices here, and im on a budget so i dont want to spend a lot on herbs/spices since i dont know if i can renew my contract.

At the moment ive got salt, pepper, sugar, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower. Might be able to pick up some herbs/spices if they are cheap, but i want them to be as versatile as possible so i can get the most use out of them.

Any suggestions?

so what can i simmer it with

Mire poix (carrot onion celery leek) salt and black pepper corns. If you're in Australia you can also go for a walk and you'll find bay leaves pretty much everywhere. Then water add water, you can use a stock cube if you want but not essential.

when you say mire poix do you mean just throw all of that into the pot and let it simmer with the corned beef?

Hypothetically what will happen if you just simmer it in plain water with salt?

cook it like you would any kind of roast.

what about the simmering par

Wow this board is dead.

anyone out there? hello?

post a picture of your meat ;)

seriously I have no idea what you're working with. corned beef in the UK is this red/grey brick that comes out of a tin surrounded by jelly and you put it on sandwiches

Uh...the OP has a picture already. Thats corned beef silverside. Its a tough meat that is usually simmered to make it tender.

all your need is cloves, vinegar, brown sugar but you could use regular I guess and an onion. You could probably just boil it in plain water and it would still turn out fine

That's a beef silverside, but it appears to be uncured. We need to know if the thing OP has got is a raw cut, or has already been cured.

he said in the op that its corned beef silverside, it's what aussie call corned beef

I'm not sure how the Aus do it, but if it's cured it should already have been seasoned with spiced during curing. Pressure cooker will have it tender in about an hour, low simmer on the hob will take about four. Some food cultures will add cloves, orange and black pepper; I think vinegar, which some people have called for, is a variation on orange. Others go for raw diced stock veg (mirepoix would be lightly caramelized, which is not the intent here). Pastrami-style treatment is probably not an option for OP, due to the probable lack of a smoker.

this

Why would someone on a budget buy 1.5kg of meat they don't know what to do with?

Even stupid people have to stick to a budget sometimes, user.

It'd probably be rather bland.

I'm not sure about being cured either.
If its not cured you have the lean side of a brisket. Really nice roast but takes ages in the oven.
9304143 is spot on.

Cook all sides set aside

Create a stock from juices, salt, pepper, and broccoli and cauli

Set steak in stock let cook in oven

Cook carrots with sugar blend together for a paste

Slice beef top carrot and extra stock