Is linear algebra a joke? I hesitate to call it math...

Is linear algebra a joke? I hesitate to call it math, it's just fucking around with numbers in squares and has some vague connection to computer graphics other shit. I'm convinced it's a plot by (((them))) to get students to spend more shekels.

Redpill me on linear algabra.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZHQObOWTQDPD3MizzM2xVFitgF8hE_ab
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Stupid freshman.

>freshman
Doesn't everyone do linear algebra before college/university?

Yeah American here, we did it Freshman year in high school after taking combinatorics and complex analysis

t. failing linear algebra

I'm guessing you're in a class that only focuses on the numbers and not the theory.
The theory itself can be applied to other branches of math and help make things easier or show how things behave.

>Redpill me on linear algabra

>using the word 'redpill' unironically
>not understanding linear algebra
im afraid the cancer is metastasing
kys

I learned basic matrix calculations before going to university but i’d hardly call that having taken linear algebra.

You either haven't studied linear algebra or you've completely missed the point.

The cool thing about linear algebra is that everything you do with Real Numbers could also be done with any Field. Also its the easiest stuff to visualise. Thats probably also a reason why everyone has to do it.
Also: Redpill yourself by reading a good book and finding some good sources.

How about you try to do infinite-dimensional operator theory, functional analysis, or representation theory without linear algebra?

I took meme linear algebra in high school and am taking real Axler style linear algebra right now as a freshman.

You're going to realize that it's the most import class and you're going to retake it again and again.

Just shut up and learn calculus and linear algebra.

this

Literally the entire universe can be placed in the framework of linear algebra. Ever heard of Matrix Mechanics?

>Is linear algebra a joke?
Jesus, the fucking state of the American left.

OP is clearly a right-winger. Are you dense?

Why not just call it quantum mechanics? I've never met anyone who insisted on calling it matrix mechanics. Fucking hipster.

Engineer here who ended up in a deeply theoretical linear algebra class being taught by a crazy algebraic topologist. The matrix manipulations are obviously easy, it's the structural stuff that is interesting to me. Would like to take more classes like it, how does abstract algebra compare?

m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZHQObOWTQDPD3MizzM2xVFitgF8hE_ab

Thank me later

What kind of rural shithole do you have to live in to not take complex analysis until high school?

Dense in the reals motherfucker

Same but more general. I've seen abstract algebra called "what happens when you relax the axioms of a vector space".

And in a vector space you need an additive group on top of a field. In abstract algebra you'd maybe study an additive group on top of a ring. Or just a group on its own. Or just a field. Or just a ring.

Most (or at least I think most) students in america get to learn a bit about matrices and vectors but that is pretty much it as far as high school linear alegbra goes.

Came in to post this. 3blue1brown is the shit.

Why do English speakers call every linear space a "vector space"? It could be something more abstract too.

A vector space is a module over a field. It's the simplest kind of linear space where you can do GauB-elimination.

it's the most important math class you'll take in undergrade
it simply applies everywhere, whether it's physics or engineering or CS

I wish I already knew LA right now because I'd like to tinker around with writing a program that requires 2D graphics to draw some interactive charts (something like mathplotlib and gnuplot but highly customized and interactive). But I cant get very far with it because its filled with all this stuff like vectors matrices and transforms and so on and I lack the prerequisite math knowledge. I fear I basically have to take a detour for many months, maybe even years, to acquire all the prerequisite knowledge.

Autist OP. Do some coupled oscilator equations without matrix eigenvalues and THEN call Lin Alg a joke.

>hero is a bald ugly incel who thought 57 was prime

most of control theory revolves around linear algebra you stupid FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT

Very useful for solving PDE's, or doing anything with the word "eigen" in it. Pretty much the driving force behind most computational mathematics. Matrix operations can be generalized to things like modulo arithmetic which lets you quickly solve equations that would otherwise be a pain in the ass.

Fourier Transform is linear algebra. Get bent.

>left wing
>unironically asking others to redpill him
WEW LAD