I know it's not exactly literature, but linguistics. I thought you could help me with this, though

I know it's not exactly literature, but linguistics. I thought you could help me with this, though.

Natives speakers, if you say:

>“There’s no way we can police it”

Is that pronounced /polis it/ or /poliz it/?

What if you say:

>"Pet’s at the party"

Do you say “peetz at the party” or “peets at the party”? I am inclined to say it’s the later, but because ‘is’ is always ‘iz’ I am not sure whether that remains when contracted, or whether it follows the rule that the 's' carries on whatever sound it is preceded by.

Other urls found in this thread:

forvo.com/word/buses/#en
phonemicchart.com/transcribe/?w=buses
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wait, what? "Peets"? Why the hell would I make an -ee sound when pronouncing the word pet?

Sorry, I meant to say "Pete" but the autocorrect changed it to "Pet", that's why the transcription is "peet"

The term that you're looking for is 'the voicing of intervocalic "s"'.

Remember that English also has stress, and the plual ending is never stressed. Voicing does not occur in unstressed syllables. So the 's' in both your examples keeps its 's' sound, not 'z'.

It does occur in words like 'Islam', pronounced 'izlam' though; which Muslims hate. (If you take notice, they're always careful to say 'isslam'.)

>“There’s no way we can police it”
/polis it/ definitely, probably because police isn't a very commonly used verb.

>"Pete’s at the party"
That one's kind of a toss up. If it's said quickly enough that z can sneak in. I'd go with the latter.

I'd go with the latter; even quickly pronounced, the 's' sound remains.

Ah, I see.
So in addendum, the 's' is still not 'intervocalic' since there is a slight pause between the 's' and the 'a', and so will still/should be pronounced as 's'.

* The former: 's'.

>the plual ending is never stressed

But I thought 'buses' would be /busiz/?

english is a fucked up language, you literally cannot sing properly in english

find me a good opera in english

stick to a romance language, or even german

I say it /busəs/.

The voice box does not rattle, hence an unvoiced 's'.

In everyday language say busiz for what it's worth. I think this also might depend on regional accents. What accent are you trying to emulate?

Standard UK

Ah, I'm a burger. Go with -s for both.

by the way
forvo.com/word/buses/#en

>burger
Meaning British Indian/Pakistani?

It's funny I always thought ending -s would be voiced (see house and houses) or at least if following a voiced sound.

I'm in a noisy environment, but is it /buses/ that I am hearing? Phonemicchart.com says it's: /'bʌsJz/

phonemicchart.com/transcribe/?w=buses

No such thing as 'Standard UK' accent. You probably mean 'Home Counties English' or 'posh southern'.

Burger is american

Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky
Twinkle, twinkle little star

When the blazing sun is gone
When he nothing shines upon
Then you show your little light
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night
Twinkle, twinkle, little star

>english is a fucked up language
Success breeds jealousy.

Take note of the language you're writing in right now, fuccboi.

With "Pet's" I reckon it's phonologically conditioned and with /t/ being unvoiced you'd get an /s/ sound.

Germans are faggot barbarians who can't speak civilised tongues

it's a bus[schwa]z, only the z is not as significantly voiced, as it is at the end of the word.
The basic form of english plural is [z],

[z] -> [s] / [-voice] __
[z] -> [schwa+z] / [+sibilant] _