Learning

>Background
So, I've been learning to learn and I have gathered a couple of resources (i.e. videos, playlists, scientific articles, and free courses from reputable Universities.
I am going to type the main points and save them - for later reference.

>Proposal
Would you be interested in a copy of my writings? I can greentext it, make it a free website so, you can bookmark it, or upload a .txt file to my cloud service for you to download.

>What I have so far... [from "Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects" by University of California, San Diego]
>Focused and Diffused thinking
Focused means focusing on one thing while not letting anything distract you. DIffused thinking is the opposite; taking in everything as a big picture and letting your mind go free (e.g. think shower thoughts)

>Dealing with procrastination
One can use the Pomodoro Technique; Set a timer between 10 and 30 minutes, remove all interruptions and focus on one task at a time. After the time is up, reward yourself for a few minutes by getting a snack, web browsing, etc... allow your brain to enjoyably change its focus for a while.

>Practice/Repetition
Practice makes permanent, build a strong foundation and make sure you understand a topic before going to the next. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Make it so if it is physical it becomes muscle memory and if it's non-physical it becomes instinctive (use your insticts or intuition).

/will continue below...

Other urls found in this thread:

apps.ankiweb.net/
sites.google.com/view/learningtolearn/home
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Memory
Long term memory means you recall things you learned a long time ago and still remember them. Work memory means you hold ideas momentarily while doing something. Long term memory needs repetiton. A technique for long term memory is called... Spaced Repetition; Picture a month view on a calendar in which you practice the first two days and then skip one day then practice the next day and skip two days, practice one, skin three, practice once, skip 4, practice once, skip 5, practice once, skip 6, etc... until you dont need to practice anymore because the information has made the connection in your brain. This technique helps to keep memories longer than practicing one thing 100 times in one evening.
Work memory can hold about four chunks of information but one would need to shut one's eyes or get rid of any distractions so that one has a better chance of recalling those chunks of information (think a phone number, license plate number, name or short directions). Work memory is used when one encounters something new. Writing things down also helps to retain the information for a short and sometimes long period of time.

>Sleep
Just by being awake, the brain creates toxic products (e.g. think a clogged pipe in which it is hard for water to flow through; makes it hard to think and recall information). To get rid of such toxics one need sleep, by sleeping the cells in the brain shrink and let fluid flow in between them washing away the toxic product. Polyphasic sleep might help by simply taking a nap or sleeping full cycle more often preventing buildup of toxic products that block neuro-connections. Make sure to sleep 8 hours within 24 hours while on polyphasic sleep configuration. Not getting enough sleep for a long period of time can result in various serious diseseas and psychological problems. Plain dying earlier. Sleep also helps to strengthen neural-patterns and to get rid of weak patterns. Sleeping or taking a nap right after learning or studying something increases the chance of dreaming about it or simply going into diffuce thinking more easily. Even better just by wanting or convincing yourself to dream about what you just learned increases the chances of dreaming about it even more. Sleeping can be seen as a way for your brain to disconnect from the physical world and to instead work and put al of itself into building and reinforcing neural-connection therefore improving long term memory and work memory for when you encounter a new topic or concept. Sleep after learning/studying, and before a test are a no brainer.

>Chunks
Basically, don't just memorize facts but learn how they work and connect to other concepts. Think about it like a puzzle, don't just focus on one piece but understand how that one piece connects to the others. Also, by gathering chunks of information one can make a connection; like ants, one ant is not very smart or intelligent but once one combines all the ants, the ants will start to buid a colony and using communication the ants will assign themselves titles like workers, gatherers, carriers, builder, etc... the combination of chunks is the emergence of intelligence. Look up Emergence for a better understanding. chunks are a network of neurons that work together to make a thought, and perform an action effectively. Again, a combination of simple neurons working together to make something complex like a thought. Practice and repetiton help to make this networks work more efficiently and last longer. An example of a perfected chunk is when one gets dressed, you only think "i need to get dressed" but then realize that you've been getting dressed on auto all along while you think about your next step. The best chunk is the one that you don't need to think about like walking, blinking, and breathing. A perfected chunk makes a flawless connection.

Feel the bern.

Bernie Sanders for president.

You can use wanki for that, it's easy to setup and you can easily learn.
apps.ankiweb.net/
Even brainlets can learn everything with this method. Just use the app one hour per day (toilet, bus etc) instead of brownsing Veeky Forums.

I want to see your writings yes, because as of the moment, you're just stating basic things that I've read before. I'm searching for the revolutionary conclusion people will make.

... and don't try to only learn with the app, use what you have learn to solve problems.

>How to make a chunk
When you are confronted by a complex topic, first it helps to understand the basic idea, then to trully make or form the chunk it helps to test yourselves to see if you can for example solve the math problem or to see if you can remember what you just learned. Only then, will the chunk be formed and embedded in the neural network.

>Recall
"By simply practicing and recalling students learned far more and at a much deeper level" again pretty much like reading something then closing the book and test yourself to see how much you can recall. Repeat. The only time re-reading a text works is if you use spaced repetition.
When highlighting, only do so once per paragraph and do it after reading the paragraph in order to find the main idea of said paragraph. Keep it to a minimum because if you do it a lot then, you are basically training your brain to think that by everytime you do the highlighting motion you've found the key concept when in reality all you've done is waste time. After learning something try recalling chunks in different physical enviroments that way you won't subconsciously take cues from your study enviroment to come up with the information needed. Test your knowledge while being outside, in the shower, livingroom so, that your information comes from your brain and not physical cues or environment.

>Illusion of competence
You think you've learned it all just because you have your book in your hand. To avoid your knowledge of being dependant on the books, test yourself often to make sure you have the material in your head and not in your hand. Dont be Tai Lopez.

>Motivation
There are chemicals in your brain that take care of this but they are hard to control. BUT what you can do is basically ask questions or look for a different aspect of the subject that doesn't motivate you until you find something that intrigues you and let it snowball from there. Though, you might hit a wall, that's when the subject no longer interests you but you can still repeat the steps and see if you can get that interest in the subject back.

>Overlearning, Choking, Einstellung, and Interleaving
Basically, yes you can become a master at one specific thing but re-learning the same thing again and again even if you already know 100% of it, tricks your brain into thinking a certain way and that new way of thinking makes it hard to grasp or understand new ideas or concepts. That is why most paradigm shifts and new revolutionary ideas in a certain field comes from people that were in other fields. Broaden your knowledge and master something but learn a little bit about everything so you dont choke. and interleaving just means that you can apply those little bits of knowledge from other fields into a differents field and combines these chunks to create something new.

>Multi-mode input
Basically, when learning something, write it, see it, visualize it, build it, see it in motion, read it upside down,etc... apply it and try to involve as much of you as you can; use all your feelings.

So, what do you guys want? Greentext, website, .txt file

There's no point to any of this when it's all predetermined by your IQ anyway.

iq is a measure of potential. this is actualizing your potential.

>Intelligence is predetermined by something that is not accurate because of standard deviation making the final coefficient ±15.
Good meme anyway, though. :)

website would be great, great work btw

Well sorted Pastebin?

I will have to correct the grammar, come up with a general design for the site, structure, organize files, and write .HTML files. I'll post in a few days with any update. Also, It has been a while since I used CSS and HTML so, the website might be very basic and minimal. (implying that's a bad thing)

I was thinking about a website, too.

I don't know... I want to add images, color code things, make a menu for categories, etc... So, I'll go with the website. But if you want a pastebin I can easily copy and paste straight from the .txt.

lol

will you update in this thread or post another one? Im really interested.

This one if it's alive otherwise I'll just make another one.

Actually, what do you guys think about Google Sites? It''s be much easier to manage for me.

sites.google.com/view/learningtolearn/home

Like that? or should I make my own?

>Long term memory means you recall things you learned a long time ago and still remember them.

Not exactly, long-term memory simply means the memory has been fully consolidated and will not be lost due to for example being distracted. For instance, neurons can become more excitable by other neurons on the scale of milliseconds (involved in working memory), but you also have long term changes related to long-term changes to the neuron (e.g. transporting new receptors to a dendrite/axon).

>Just by being awake, the brain creates toxic products (e.g. think a clogged pipe in which it is hard for water to flow through; makes it hard to think and recall information).

No, the brain releases neuro-hormones according to your circadian rhythm, and your excitatory neurotransmitter receptors downregulate in response to inflammation, both of which decrease your wakefulness and increase perceived fatigue. You can do a line of cocaine after being awake for 72 hours and function quite well. Your body pushes you to get sleep before inflammation/metabolic stress becomes a big issue.

>Polyphasic sleep might help by simply taking a nap or sleeping full cycle more often preventing buildup of toxic products that block neuro-connections.

Polyphasic sleep will fuck up your circadian rhythm, and damage the long-term health of your brain. You can get away with naps, but there's a reason why out of a few billion humans, the vast majority sleep uninterrupted for 7 to 9 hours every day. For instance, your body takes many hours to reach its coldest temperature, essential for proper recovery. Your brain's immune system and blood-brain barrier also take hours to fully modulate into the 'sleep mode'. Many hormones are only secreted multiple hours into sleeping. Your spine takes time to de-compress fully. The long down-time is also important for your circulatory system and digestive system.

Other than this I agree with most of your posts.

I'll fix it up. Is the website good, though?

I'm just writing down what the professor says. I think for the first two is just a fancier way of writing the same thing. I do agree with the Polyphasic one as I should have added that some aspects of this technique like naps and frequent intervals help rather than sleeping only a few hours. Though, I did add that one should still get 8 hours of sleep within the 24-hours period. How do you suggest I word these 3 sections using your corrections?

There are many things left to be improved in your summary of the LHTL course. You are far too verbose, you mention a ton of not-so-important things (like when you bring up the ant example from the recent Kurzgesagt video on emergence for no good reason, when you explain spaced repetition in a very convoluted way, or when you go into too much detail about why sleep is important), while you miss many important things. You don't explain how the different modes of thinking should be used, you don't mention that one of the reasons for making chunks is so that we can hold more information in our working memory (btw it's working memory, and not work memory), you don't mention that there are software for spaced repetition, and you don't tell us how we can learn in a way such that we can avoid having illusions of competence.

You also don't mention that explaining something to yourself or someone else helps your gain deeper understanding of the topic, and form chunks, aside from giving you better long-term retention.

I know. I'll try and make things concise and also will add reasons, as you said, for why and how something works. This is not the final version. Right now, my focus is to organize everything before I start making detailed adjustments or adding more things to the site.

Here is the main layout: sites.google.com/view/learningtolearn/home
I think I added to many italics to this so, i'll need to fix it.

Actually, do you think the format for all these sections should be something like the following.

Motivation (subject)
What is it: blah blah
How it works: blah
Why it works: blah
What to do (tips, techniques, etc...): blah

That way, everything will be more organized and concise.

Also, I can add a tools bullet-point as there are apps for things like spaced repetition, pomodoro technique, tracking sleeping patterns. Would that work?

Just tell me what to do. I don't care about science behind learning about learning.

I would say that people who take naps could plan their naps so they coincide after studying.

Also you should probably cover the role of predictions and reinforcement in learning. I.e. unexpected events/things trigger faster learning than things you expect. Hence, focusing on the unexpected/surprising parts of the things you are learning will speed up the formation of memories. Rewarding yourself uniquely when you have studied and not otherwise will condition your brain to be inclined to study in the future. Contextual effects: if you listen to a certain song every time you study a specific thing, listening to that song will make you more likely to remember what you studied. Blocking: if there are two explanations for a thing, one of which you already have associated with the thing in your mind, the other one new, then you will not learn much about the new explanation. For instance, if you learned that CO2 causes global warming, then the next day you read about CO2 and water vapor being causes of global warming, then you will learn much less about the water vapor than if you had not read about CO2 before. So focusing on as new information as possible is key to learning quickly (as long as you can understand what you are reading). Superconditioning: if A and B are two things, and when ever A is present B is not, then if you present A and B together with a third thing C, you will learn the relation from C to B much faster than otherwise. For example, if you read about Hot Weather in Canada due to Global Warming, your brain will link the 'hot weather' with 'global warming' more quickly due to Canada usually being cold. How to integrate this to studying? Focus on seemingly contradictory information, i.e. the unexpected.

That was my main idea but don't worry. I try to please everyone and organized each sections so that it is easy to find what you want. There will be a "what to do (tips and techniques) for each subject so you can just look at that and go on your way.

I see what you mean. I'll try my best to accommodate each section to this way of thinking when learning.

nigga just fucking go and start learning something, this is just very elaborate slacking off