gog.com/forum/arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura/gog_com_arcanum_wine
discordapp.com/invite/G4WFCJc
libgen.io/foreignfiction/ads.php?md5=abf583748ef89c37d33bae5e85fa9115
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>9300600
Nice

please put sffg in the title so i can search

3rd for queen of /sffg/

Sci Fi and Fantasy? Why not have an Oil and Water general?

Sci Fi = reason, logic, facts
Fantasy = faggots

*tips hat*

youtube.com/watch?v=BxzTJXrZlIU

He's so much less of a prick IRL. The internet ruined that >man.

How are the Ellsemont Mazalan books?

>no sffg in subject field
>thread will be very dead because people won't be able to find it
I bet you're a fucking normie trying to infiltrate us and take us down from within. Are we having too much fun? Are our actual book discussions cutting into your memes? I'm onto you fagget.

>wanting new people to enter our thread
what's wrong with you?

Feel free to make your own sci fi general then. Last time you guys did that it didn't last very long and you came crawling back to the fantasy general so you can pretend like you have a real community.

This.
Sci-fi is fantasy with technology aspects. Fuck your hard sci-fi. The whole point of sci-fi was to speculate on what the future would be like with technology. Not 100 years later with exactly the same technology that we have now.

If 50's sci-fi authors said there would be crystal data storage, laser weapons and flat large colour displays. No one said shit.

2000's sci-fi talks about human augmentation, portable units for harvesting large amounts of atomic / dark matter power, traveling to other star systems, cognizant AIs. Yall hard nuts go on a rage spree saying it's not possible.... SCI-FI IS ABOUT SPECULATION
Fucking ingrates.

I'll take it one step further: tons of celebrated "sci-fi" is actually just fantasy (Star Wars, Star Trek, Ghost in the Shell, for example).

>Sci Fi = reason, logic, facts
You are a funny guy, I really, really, really like it

This.
>muh sekrit club
All outsiders ever do in these threads is shit on its purpose. We get it, you hate genre fiction. Let us be plebs in peace.

Sanderson is shit at writing characters.
Fight me.

I won't, and neither will anyone else here. I'm a Sandershitter, but only because I like to catch all the little cosmere references in his books and connect the dots of his imaginary lore like an autist. I will say that Words of Radiance had some of the best characterization he's ever done, so he may be getting better. Or maybe it was just a one off, we'll know in November.

I disagree with nothing you have said. Bottled lightning and all.

But you are right. His characters (females at least) are rinse repeat. It's his magic, how he uses it, and his worlds that are the selling point.

>Start reading Mistborn
>Get to the third page
>Writing is too cringey for me to go on

Does he get better?

This is true, in college he was friends with one of my teachers so he came and did a presentation for my class.
I thought he was such a cool guy.

what does he mean about Tor renegotiating the contract?
Are his books selling poorly?

new york times best seller ;)

Well, his writing is kind of... Cinematic. Sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way. Mistborn is a great setting and the plot is pretty decent if predictable but the dialogue is weird, the pacing is awkward between good build-ups into exposition dumps and the characters are all stale archetypes. I didn't regret having read it though it was a bit of a struggle at some points. Rest of the trilogy is weaker.

Just finished Roadside Picnic. What did I think of it?

Hey... low iq user.. where have you been? We thought you had an darwinian accident.

you think those dubs deserved to be checked

I got my IQ checked and have an IQ of 130. I'm just too intelligent to form my own opinions.

I have not read it yet, therefore it's shit.

Holy... I want more

what's wrong with liking bakker?

Hit me up with Fantasy books which feature Wizard/Magic families having rivalries and shit.

Different defined schools of magic would be the dream.

I love the Arcanum spell colleges, how they're distinct and closely related but there's a lot of them. Don't know a magic-school book with something like that, but I haven't been up with YA in a long time.

Yeah! It's something along these lines that I'm looking for! Magic in LoTR etc is cool but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. HP style is ok but the spells have no consistency, there aren't levels of transfiguration spells that I'm aware of or different "tiers" of fireball spells etc.

>look up arcanum
>windows only
RIP
I want a fun rpg to play on my linux laptop in between shitposts. Guess I'll keep looking. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Ed Sheeran will play Kvothe, won't he?

gog.com/forum/arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura/gog_com_arcanum_wine
I didn't think it was fun though

And magic schools are great, too, lets you have all these factions at each others' throats but it's not as heavy, lots more room for humor.

r8 my magic schools
Fire
Sparks
Water
Wind
Earth
Ash
Gold
Star
Iron
Night
Sun
Bone

Flow
Essence
Flux
Cohesion
Fascination
Consumption
Emergence
Shine
Worship
Perjury
Duration
Sequence
Cessation
Equilibrium
Judgment

I've had absolutely no success with wine, but I can try it again. What didn't you like about it...
>Veeky Forums
...literarily?

None of it felt like it had any heft. There was a Chosen One main plot, an evil cult, a bunch of fantasy racism, a bunch of places you can totally explore but the monsters will eviscerate you if you didn't manage to find the main plotline/proper subquests to level up along. Lots of options for character creation and optimization, but most of them sucked, and it was easy to break the game with the right character. I do remember a couple of characters, there was a snivelly evil aristocrat, a stock monk character, a stock muh warrior race dwarf?

It just didn't feel like it brought anything new, when bringing something new was its selling point.

Yes! There must be some books with this, right?

The theory checks out, but I don't know any examples, sorry.

This is not right. I'm so sad at the moment guys.

Can someone try to identify a book for me, i can only remember a little of the plot, it was something about a group of knights or heroes idk, that goes into a portal, but one of them stays behind, and the others come back different, it was a old fantasy book i think and if im not mistaken there were some black dogs at the cover, but i could be wrong.

GIVE ME MONEY

If that is true, I'm just happy sci-fi is doing well, even if it is garbage like scalzi

>Twitter was around since 2001
>normies used social media as prevalent back then as they do now

Absolutely nothing.

pic related

David Wong predicted it but took it out of the published version like a pussy.

I agree with a lot of what you've said. Especially about how scifi should be used to predict the reality of the future, not just it's tech. Good scifi predicts the traffic jam, not the automobile.
Don't hate on hard scifi though. Creating new ideas around existing scientific facts can be incredibly interesting, and even a basic knowledge of biology means you can get that much more invested in discussion of aliens etc.

Anyway I don't care, guy you replied too was being a dipshit

This is a book project that Veeky Forums (more specifically /sffg/) could actually pull off. None of that pomo incoherent rambling bullshit. Just a google doc full of lore and another one full of short stories set in the context of magic schools. We have the autism to iron out continuity errors and actually make it work, and don't need to worry about prose. After all, there are people itt admitting they like Sanderson. Surely this is workable?

Is this a meme? You use the same formula every time to describe books. and I'm sure it's known books. Last time it was a rothfuss/kvothe shit post

Sounds like something we could ask Veeky Forums about, I'm sure they've got something lying around.

what? thats the first time i posted on these kind of threads.

If other i/lit/erates are interested I can make a thread there asking them about it. You're right that it's up their alley.

I wish we could have a tiny general inside the general for SFF writers/critique. Maybe a persistent chat room that we keep in the OP, something like that.

Is there a reason why the contents of this epub file are apparently out of order? Is this how it's supposed to be, or is this an error?

A bit vague, but that kinda happens in Guardians of the Flame?

Forgot to mention this is from The Dying Earth Series

no, thats not it, it was more of a dark fantasy. but the cover has the same type of old fantasy paitings as this one, but again, darker.

>new ideas around existing scientific facts can be incredibly interesting
I love when someone uses their background in biology /the sciences to write novels. What pisses me off is the hard nuts coming up in here crying about it not being realistic... like if it was a thesis the person was writing.. it's fucking fiction. If someone says that life evolved differently on another planet giving some flora sentience and apex predator of that world, so be it.

What I think is we have too many well educated people reading scifi. They can't suspend their disbelief foe a second. It must line up with proven studies, and experiments.. or it isn't sci-fi.

Next time someone is shitposting about a sci-fi novel, see if they mention science not adding up. They bring reality expectations into a work of fiction.

Veeky Forums is great at fluff, not so much at crunch. You'd be better served giving them a framework, telling them to pick sides, and asking who hates who and to create a history of rivalries and alliances. They pretty much do stuff like this on the daily just for fun anyways.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm pretty good at mechanical worldbuilding but I know that's not really Veeky Forums's thing, and it's definitely Veeky Forums's. We'd still have to do narrative, characterization etc. Which is the fun part anyways.

Not to be yet another Veeky Forums shill but they keep an almost perpetual SFF creative writing and critique thread up. Might be worth a try.
>>Veeky Forums52259392
Current one is dead in the archive but they pop up again all the time.

Oops, let me try that again.

Flavorsanon, it would be a slippery slope if we allowed that. Since we are the most active thread on Veeky Forums, and the only general to survive to consistently survive week after week, month after month... Writerfags would rush us, just to get someone to read their shit. We wouldn't be able to hear ourselves think, much less discuss anything.

Have you look at outer lit? Everyone wants John Green, JK Rowling, Stephanie Meyer, That Collins bitch, etc. They want to write some mediocre YA flick and have Hollywood buy them out and rake in the dough.

Basically what you need to do is make an image with a few poorly explained magical "choices", ask which side they would choose, and let the thread argue it out. Look at the "choose your own adventure" type image macros for ideas. The rest will write itself.

Well someone was using your formula for the past couple threads. I think that is why you are ignored.

Scifi is dead.

I wager those colors skew differently when accounting for dollars per unit instead of units alone.

Veeky Forums is interesting, but I'm afraid of being purged for heresy :(

Should i try to read gene wolfes books if english is not my first language? i've only read easier books in english like dragonlance and the drizzt novels. is the text in gene wolfe's work hard or is it hard because of the ideas in the books? thanks

looks like a lot of indie sff stuff, am I missing out on some good indie sci-fi stuff?

Torchship was pretty good.

>Writing for the movie deal
I want this trend to die already. Sometimes it seems blatantly obvious too. Not so much in hard sci-fi and epic fantasy but in the lighter SFF fare.

Both, there are many words that need dictionaries or that he made up from Latin/Greek roots.

Discord link from that thread
discordapp.com/invite/G4WFCJc
I don't know what to expect.

This is what the Dying Earth ebook in my Calibre shows.

Believe it or else, less than half of the board is at all interested in warhammer. There is a fairly large contingent of people there only for their interest in narratives, characters, settings, and role play. And the only thing worse than bad writing is unfinished writing.

but then it's something that not even native english speakers could understand at first? if so then im okay with that.

You should expect lots of people wanting readers and few critics. The same with any draft review group.

Seems like a good use of Discord.

Genres don't die they just go through cycles.
There is still high quality sci fi coming out most months.
Also don't forget that the soul of scifi lives in short stories.

>Veeky Forums channel
>last message: March 14th
RIP
I
P

It's not the warhammer. They're repressed furfags and sensitive about it :3

>soul of sci-fi is short stories
Amen. It's just a shame that short stories are the hardest thing to sell to a publisher because... Well, it's a hard thing for a publisher to sell.

I wonder how many wonderful self published books are just waiting to be discovered by someone with an eye for that stuff.

I was gonna put that in my post, but with discord someone could easily steal their shit. So I just left it out.

Why would that even come up in a writing critique?

Unless your story somehow features those themes? In which case you're going to get mixed reception anywhere you go.

If text to speech programs get better, I could download untried books and convert them to audio... but for now I can only use audiobooks. Meaning it popular enough that the publishing house invested in a VA.

I wonder that too.
Maybe they could set up a bounty system to get people to cull through the crap to find the gems, polish them up and get them too a bigger audience.

Has this ever actually happened?

I've been meaning to read that. Apparently the Atomic Rocket guy likes it.

Ah OK I see, so the chapters are subdivided further. This is the epub edition I downloaded btw:

libgen.io/foreignfiction/ads.php?md5=abf583748ef89c37d33bae5e85fa9115

You'd need a lot of $0.99 for that. Right now there are a few movements focused on specific aspects of the genre that are trying to gather and encourage talent, but you need to self-promote and probably will for the foreseeable future.

If you make friends and write well you can get rich (Correia). If you make friends and write poorly you can also get rich (Scalzi). If you don't make friends it doesn't matter how well you write because you'll die alone.

It's not Hardest SF but the author actually used to plot orbits for a living. The story isn't amazing but it doesn't get in the way.

from what I've seen the discord the other user posted has maybe 4-8 active people in it.
we could use that as an organizing point if we wanted, it's a little pathetic right now

let's take it over. What kind of faggy usernames should we identify each other with? Various digits after Bakkerfan/Wolfefan?