Math vs comp sci

major in computer science vs majoring in math?

first year in college at a liberal arts college, want to major in math with an emphasis in statistics, but also like computer science for programming and higher pay.

is it better to double major or to drop one?

If you're a straight white male, best forget comp-sci. Otherwise have at it.

I double majored in both and seriously regret it, the time demands of CS really took away from my mathematics education. It may be different at other school, but even though CS was conceptually much easier than mathematics, the classes often had a disproportionate amount of work/projects.

>he actually thinks cs = programming

CS is programming at 95% of schools. Unless you go to either a top-tier school or a place with a specialized theoretical CS program you'll be spending most of your time actually using a computer.

You can get a programming job with any major. Don't waste your time or money on CS.

Major in pure math, do the relevant statistics courses but take the math department version if both offer similar courses (like probability) on top of your pure math major, take intermediate macro/microeconomics and econometrics, and take the CpE courses relevant to HFT/HPC/Big Data.

What do I if I am good at math and enjoy it and I do not like economics and programming?

Dumbest advice in the thread. You can get any job with any major, it's about knowing material. If I built a rocket overnight NASA would hire me, even without the requisite degree.

You have no idea what OP is looking for out of his education, but you recommend the most abstract STEM major(pure math) of them all? gtfo. The route you're telling him about sets him up for needing a Ph. D to be secure in the workforce after his undergrad.

If you're not going the PhD route then use your degree to let you live a good life..

Starve

>I do not like economics
So no actuary or finance jobs?
>and programming
So no data scientist or ML jobs?

Why the fuck are you interested in statistics?

The problem is that you won't / can't build a rocket without the prerequisites anyway.

True. Tho it would be better to forget about life in general.

this is the kind of post people mean when they say they fell for the sci meme

t. undergrad

I would say forget CS. Who care about
>Operating System
>Computer Networks
>database
>software engineering
>computer architecture

When you can study
>Real analysis
>Complex analysis
>Partial Differential Equations
>Advanced linear algebra
>Geometry and Topology

Any engineering major can get a job with programming? I assume EE and CE obviously but what about ME?

which school was this?

If you know how to program and practice, yes.

>inB4 hurr durr the only way to learn coding is courses

Why tho?

You could just read books on topics CS are more easy that math topics.

Not him, but I had the same experience in my school. Australian National University.

Is a math major with a CS minor the better option if you want to get into grad school?

A CS minor is worthless. Nobody cares if you took 5 intro to java courses.

Idk user it depends if you want a job or not.

What should you do if you want to do both but don't want to deal with CS taking away from your math education like the other user said

Do a math major and learn programming on the side. A lot of CS programs are full of outdated bullshit. I've been working as a fullstack developer for about 2 years, used virtually nothing from what I learned in school. You learn way more by getting your hands dirty in the real world.

Pure math is about teaching you how to think properly. That doesn't get outdated.

Only take graduate courses and do a 5 year Math BS+CS MS joint degree.

>fullstack developer
that isn't CS. at least you don't call yourself an engineer

gg/vme7hF

really depends on you program I think, I do CS but my I have mostly theory and practice theory on my own.

having internships that pay 10k/month is nice and something you'll have much easier access to when doing CS