Finally Reading, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." 3 Chapters in and I am LOVING it...

Finally Reading, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." 3 Chapters in and I am LOVING it. Finding a good book that makes you laugh out loud is a gem!

Some of my favorite quotes so far:
"Mr. Prosser's mouth opened and closed a couple of times while his mind was for a moment filled with inexplicable but terribly attractive visions of Author Dent's house being consumed with fire and Arthur himself running screaming from the blazing ruin with at least three hefty spears protrudin from his back. Mr. Prosser was often bothered with visions like these and they made him feel very nervous."
"Ford would get out of his skull on whisky, huddle in a corner with some girl and explain to her in slurred phrases that honestly the color of the flying saucers didnt matter that much really. "

Fuck off faggot

I have all the books but have only read the first one. I liked it. Never understood why it receives such scorn here. Is it the fanbase?

It is the ultimate reddit-core series. But yeah the fans are pretty obnoxious too.

This has to be b8

I own all the books and read all of them, I hate it because the humor is lacking or deadpan. I'll admit the first 2.5 books had me laughing hard, but by midway of book 3, I was wondering 'where is the humor'? and instead of having the books flow, it seemed it stuttered and stopped.
the 5th book was weird as hell.

>reddit-core

The fuck does that eve mean?

It means nothing. It had sold millions of copies before the eighties began. Veeky Forums loves to blame reddit for anything it doesn't like. The fact is it's a good book with lots of hilarious insights. It's a better absurdist bible than a lot of the shit Veeky Forums reads. Minus the last two books. Douglas hated the series by that point and it shows.

>Searched for the pasta
>This is literally the top thread on the book subreddit
Even the worst Veeky Forums threads are better than this shit.

Cmon now, you're better than this.

I read the first two years ago and just never got around to reading the rest. Maybe I'm better off.

>Is it the fanbase?

i was first introduced to HHGG by the tuba player of the school band in 1980, and he was the stereotypical sneering, obnoxious aspie that these books seem to attract. the sort who first, makes sure you haven't read the books, then asks you where your towel is and rolls his eyes when you don't get it.

i read the books and listened to the radio show despite him, but i think Terry Pratchett did the dry, mordant ridiculing society's mores better.

I remember posting in a thread where everyone was talking about how much we loved this book on the first or second day Veeky Forums ever existed.
Both the board and I were a lot more innocent then.

It's full of self-aware irony (that reddit loves), and tries, but still occasionally fails, to hold some style and dignity (which reddit disregards completely)

I only read the first book, do not intend to read more. It's basically "lol so random" punctuated with intro-tier philosophy "realizations" that the fanbase treats like actual guidelines to live life by. Honestly I think the reason the book fails so hard is because it feels like it's trying to put the funniest moments from the radio show in book show. You can feel the book steering you to those moments and they aren't always well executed.

The Welcome To Nightvale book is a much better adaptation of a quirky radio show.

You have to understand that website hatred is just Internet tribalism which is stupid shit propagated by retards.

reddit-core is basically used by Veeky Forums to describe things that are generally popular but in no way profound, especially if they have to do with nerd or geek fandom

The entire series is an exercise is nihilism. There's humor, but there's no story. Everything is pointless, nothing has any weight. The characters are not developed at all asides from the one jokey trait they have (Ford doesn't even have anything to define him other than being replacement Zaphod once he's out of the story).

I found the books fun, but I like an actual story in a comedy novel.

oh fuck you done did it

I remember enjoying that book a lot when I was a kid.

I don't hate it, I think it's really cool actually. I was really happy to have found an actually funny sci-fi book that was fun to read and had lots of genuinely interesting ideas in it.