Are there any video games with Veeky Forums- tier story?

Are there any video games with Veeky Forums- tier story?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissu
youtube.com/watch?v=8VvS5MLnG0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=g2y51Fu7lGo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

depends on your definition.
a lot of videogames have a three act story, if that's what you mean.

I think games are fairly antithetical to good stories. The nature of interactivity is limiting, and the competitive aspects of a 'game' too.

Once games start having a good story, they're sort of on the borderline of being movie/game hybrids.

The art in video games, if it ever becomes a real art, will involve dejecting the 'game' aspect, and privileging instead the creation of vast and rich interactive worlds and/or experiences, without the pretext of 'winning'.

Dark souls if you know the lore and universal >implications

Touches on eternal recurrence, destiny, all that jazz

This and also Bloodborne.

silent hill 2

>he reads for the story

that's where you're messing up, kiddo.

Dark Souls is pretty Veeky Forums in that you have to work to find a lot of meaning under the surface, but if you were pleb approaching from a simple A-B story angle you'd think it's nothing special.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is a subversion of traditional video game sequels, but the series is obviously more inspired by film.

/thread

>Darksouls

Come on now, Dark Souls is just bleak, but it's also incredibly kitsch and played out by now. It has nothing new to say about any of its themes (and most of its lore is 'discovered' by the fans, not that there's anything wrong with this, but it's so disassociated from actually playing the game I don't really think it counts). Darksouls is a perfectly fine series, but it's been memed to hell and back, it has nothing literary about it, it's just edgy.

As for Veeky Forums games, I've honestly never played one. I've heard good things about Spec Ops, but it seems to me like it narrows down Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now to only be about playing video games. Same's true of Bioshock, I enjoyed it, but it felt like commentary on video games more than anything else.

A better way to look at it would probablybe which have the best exposition, where gameplay and story unite into meaning, and I would say that's best done in Papers Please and maybe Hotline Miami (HM being a good example of a game where the story isn't great but the exposition works well), but I think telling a good story ad having good gameplay have so little to do with each other that most AAA games will never have a decent story.

What about Planescape?

The stories in Zelda tend to be shitty, but OoT actually remains thematically resolute throughout. There are heavy themes of manhood, maturity, traditional morality within the game, packed succinctly within the neat little world of Hyrule. It isn't a groundbreaking narrative, but tied with the atmosphere and exploration is what makes it one of the most memorable video games as a narrative experience.

The folly of comparing video game narratives to Veeky Forums narratives is that vidya as a medium plays completely different than any other medium preceding it, with interactivity being the main focus like said. Interactivity is the defining aspect of gaming, which stands directly at odds with narrative. If video games want to effectively utilize the medium for artistry, they have reconcile this tension between narrative and interactivity, which requires an insane amount of effort to pull off effectively.

A few games hit the mark in this regard. Undertale pays attention to the metaphysical nature of saving and loading and integrates that pretty cleverly into the plot. Breath of the Wild grants ultimate freedom while telling the majority of the narrative through memories (which could work, but the story is so barebones it's hardly even there.)

TL;DR: It has potential, and will probably get there someday soon.

I'd also like to add that Kojima is a fucking hack and his stories are garbage. MGS2 is his only game that actually has a worthwhile narrative, but still veers so hard on kitsch you can't take it seriously.

You seem to really love the word kitsch, user.

what about his new stuff?
the one with madds?

That anons not me, but I do love kitsch

Never played it, but I did play Fallout 1 and 2, and whilst they had interesting plots they had this problem where they had to limit your options; in other art forms where you get no control, someone takes action and we see consequence, but in Fallout you're given a list of options and have to choose from them, and this always causes issues as to why these options are being presented. I think there's something interesting there for video games to explore, but at the moment it really holds games back.

I don't buy that. If you play Papers Please it relies heavily on the gamification of normal situations and uses that to tell a story. To say video games will reject the 'game' aspect seems ridiculous to me because video games artistically function as allegories. They abstract whatever they want to represent into a series of systems and allow you to interact with them to achieve a win state, and what the win state is defines the message of the entire game. To go back to PP, the win-state is to make enough money to provide for your family, and in pursuit of that win state you sacrifice so many 'people' you're forced to examine your actions.

In a novel, we could follow the protagonist out of the passport booth and home, see him interact with his family, etc., and most importantly hear him think. In video games you can never 'hear' your protagonist organically unless they are explaining to someone, in which case it becomes a performance and has a whole new set of implications.

What would you gain being able to interact with a world if you could only interact with it from outside? as far as I'm concerned, removing the game part of video games is a useless attempt to get them closer to literature and more recognisable art forms. Locking a player into a set of systems and gamifying that system is they way I think 'art games' should go.

Generally, point and click adventures like Deponia tend to be more Veeky Forums, as they draw attention mainly throught world design, music and story and not throught Gameplay or graphics.

Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny have genuinely good walls of text. Some Morrowind books are pretty good.

gta sa

Closest thing would be certain visual novels if you want to count that.

Are there any novels that are not weebshit?

Depends what you mean by weebshit. They're all going to have that type of art style.

I like Nitro+ and Type-Moon. Nitro+ in particular has good translations.

Try this one. It's free and not too long.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissu

Va-11 Hall-A isn't strictly anime but it was made by weebs

Oh and the free version is on Steam if you want to get it that way. It's under the title Narcissu 1st & 2nd

Your character must defeat (kill) twelve colossi in order to save an ailing girl
In addition to the numbers, questions are raised because the colossi are usually asleep or otherwise non-aggressive when encountered
During the course of the game your character visibly manifests negative effects from the endeavor

Nice meme, but we are looking for story not ATMOSPHERE.

KotOR 2
Any golden Age Suda 51 game
Transistor
Deus Ex
ICO
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Planescape qualifies as well
This desu
>implying every element of a work of art isn't contributing towards the story

Also, I've heard good things about Bloodborne and Drakengaard, but I haven't personally played them.

Bloodborne desu senpai
I don't have the now but you can thank me later.

The Stanley Parable and Beginner's Guide

Also 3, I loved the elements about Heather being afraid of the male gaze, pregnancy and all the teen angst etc.

>tfw really eat up all these muh deep pseud themes
>tfw too much of a coward to play horror games

Why even live

>Too much of a coward to play horror games
You are literally the target audience, man. There is no point if you don't get afraid.

SH2-3 doesn't have jump scares either, you have a radio making stasis noise when monsters are around, and the combat is simple.
You should try it.

Sword & Sworcery

>KotOR 2

I am honestly surprised how well it's written for a AAA star wars game

youtube.com/watch?v=8VvS5MLnG0Y

I was playing SOMA, and had to stop playing at a few points because I was so scared. The reviews all dubbed it "not scary enough/at all". I just don't enjoy being scared man. I'd love to enjoy the atmosphere,
It's antithetical to everything that's Star Wars. That's why it's so good.

Just watch walkthrough videos of them on youtube.

I wasn't talking about atmosphere. I was very explicitly describing the story aspects of the game that are Veeky Forums-worthy

Fuck videogames

I did not remember the prose being that good. Damn

Time for some spookbusting

youtube.com/watch?v=g2y51Fu7lGo

Deus Ex has a story that's better than most cyberpunk books, but filter that through whatever your view on genre books is.

Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, and a lot of other video games pointed to as evidence that games can be art don't actually have well-developed narratives. But a game doesn't have to, so it's not like that lack is a flaw inherently.

"I use [the Force] as I would use a poison, and in the hopes of understanding it, I will learn the way to kill it. But perhaps these are the excuses of an old woman who has grown to rely on a thing she despises."

Dark Souls/Bloodborne and maybe some of the King's Field games could be considered solid Dying Earth style fantasies. Full of impossibly dense lore explored through hints and generally being more about ambient atmosphere than narrative.

And Metal Gear Solid 2 and Nier are both great meta-fiction. MGS2 is all about the power of memes and the media in shaping your worldview (made well over a decade before this past election) and Nier is a very cool subversion of typical genre tropes and just about the only genre-flip based story that hasn't made me want to die from sheer reddit-esque smugness. Again like MGS2 it plays on the power of expectation and bias.

Call of Duty: Black Ops

no

No. Kindly fuck right off.

Steins;Gate [a VN]
>I don't know VN that well, but this one has different outcomes
I have no mouth and I must scream [point click, fail and repeat]
Psychonauts

hope this is bait

history is not the same as narrative speech

Passage
SmackDown vs Raw 2006
Football Manager 12
Spyro
GTA

no

I don't believe that's the case. Ever played an old-school linear-story game like the traditional RPGs? One can hardly talk about interactivity here. They can perfectly have a good story. And besides, there's plenty of ways a more open-world approach can tell a good story.
I think the story of Planescape Torment is pretty good. Also, has anyone tried pic related? Really obscure, surrealist symbolism there.

This game is kind of a rehashing of themes that already exist in folklore and (towards the end) science fiction, but it is interesting nonetheless.

The closest video games get is edgy fantasy and scifi that manchildren think is "meaningful", like Dark Souls and Planescape.

Well the Witcher series is based on books so, yah. But other than that I would say that the Fallout universe would make for some great novels.

The series is awful, though.

What was your favorite from the first collection of stories?

The collection of stories? Are we talking about the same books?

King of Dragon Pass?

>doesn't read the actually decent books
>complains about the series being shit
Fuck off

I read the relevant Andrzej Sapkowski's books, but I don't see what you mean by a “collection of stories”. I can't recall of a single book which is structured as a collection of short stories. Have you even read it?

The Last Wish and the Sword of Destiny are both a collection of short stories you dillhole and incidentally are the best of the series. Fuck off.

Majora's Mask is the Thus Spoke Zarathustra of video games.

>thinking a video game that utilizes its form will have a meaningful narrative or story
Video games are largely trash, but the few gems heavily utilize the nonlinear, interactive nature of the medium

yeah this, its basically the same allegory of Dante's Inferno and crazy shit

mgs 1 and 2
the radio in every GTA game

>nonlinear stories can't be meaningful