This is what Terry Davis has achieved:

This is what Terry Davis has achieved:
>own OS (TempleOS)
>own programming language and compiler (HolyC)
>own file system (RedSea)
>own fonts, games, graphics

Some CS faggits here? Are these actual achievements? Could any brainlet with an MSc in CS do what Terry did within a few weeks or do you need to be exceptional to do this broad variety of things?

I just want to know, is he literally a mad genius or is he just mad and mediocre in CS?

Other urls found in this thread:

templeos.org/SkinnyDip.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nothing really impressive.
file system is an extremely basic task, os as complex as his wont be hard either. holyc is just schizophrenic c, etc.

B-But the question is kind of about computer Veeky Forumsence and also about mad geniuses, which is a topic that mostly belongs to Veeky Forums

>B-But the question is kind of about computer Veeky Forumsence

"own" OS is what bill gates does

Terry actually programmed and wrote OS

this isn't even a honest/scientific response, sounds more prejudice based on mental conditions

His OS, programming language and other stuff is only impressive in the sense that it's a big project
Probably anyone could do this if they were autistic enough to spend few months/years on pointless shit that has been done better before

no one uses this shit --> likely doesn't improve over existing designs.

it's shows that someone is interested but not much more

he's clearly just mad and mediocre

Knowing how to approach creating an OS is what very very few people know or can do, that's why it's impressive.

Coming up with a language is simple and writing a compiler is also "merely" a lot of time investment, but thousands of people have done that.

He's an expert, I'd say.

This user, doesn't know what he is talking about.
The task of creating a programing language, compiler and a operating system are three of the most hardest in CS.
Also he was an excellent student, I am really sorry for his mental health, he could have achieved a lot pf success with his knowledge and work.

>Also he was an excellent student
Sauce?

He wrote his own fucking compiler stupid nigger, writing a compiler is what makes the difference between amateur niggers and educated white men. Fuck you nigger

>nigger
Why the racism?

there are certainly tasks harder than that
a programming language + compiler could easily be done in a few hours
same for OS really.

He is no Java programmer CS grad or US Equivalent but NO he is nothing special and his OS is more of a commentary on ancient works.

In conclusion; the vast majority of CS majors are literal wastes of skin and air Terry Davis being one of them.

some minecraft modders made an in-game OS, it's nothing unique

>Could any brainlet with an MSc in CS do what Terry did within a few weeks
No.
>is he literally a mad genius
He's very smart, though none of what he did was revolutionary like Newton tier or anything of that sort.
I'll add mention of a trait he has I think you're not noticing here: He had enough interest in really understanding how things work to reinvent a lot of things from the ground up as an alternative to just using the already established standard solutions most others would make use of. I think that's distinct from intelligence and the most important trait for being able to do stuff like what he's done.
You can see this in how a lot of the ways he did things were somewhat primitive / old-fashioned, because he was more interested in building everything himself than in having a flashy end product, and it's a lot more tractable of a problem to build these sorts of things using older and less elaborate approaches as well as a lot more educational if you want to get to the heart of how these things work.
All this is speaking as someone who did the writing your own programming language thing (and even then not as impressive as his because mine was just interpreted in C++ like how Python works while his is compiled) but who didn't do an OS or the other accomplishments in your list. With my own experience I found it was more important to be really consumed by a desire to actualize your goal than it was for me to have some ultra-deep knowledge or aptitude for what I was working on. If you have enough of that desire and really want it I think it's likely you'll make something like that work eventually. It's just that most people don't have that desire, it's almost a mental illness to care that much about doing something that abstract and not even necessarily useful, and most people don't have that degree of mental illness driving them to care that much about a project like that.

Yes, it is a relatively impressive task to do all of that and have a ring-0 operating system that doesn't explode, but it's ultimately all pretty worthless. It's pretty clear that he could have made valuable contributions if he wasn't schizophrenic at least.

>a programming language + compiler could easily be done in a few hours

dumb MIT nigger

>a programming language + compiler could easily be done in a few hours
In an overly literal sense yeah, but that would be a trivial and weak as fuck language. If you're making a language that actually does things you're not going to accomplish writing it in a few hours, and I'm not even saying "actually does things" in the sense of being able to do everything C++ does, just being able to do a very bare bones / basic spread of general programming tasks would itself take way more than a few hours to finish. What you could finish in a few hours would be more like an arithmetic calculator than a language even though it might technically meet the criteria of being a compiled language.

>He had enough interest in really understanding how things work
>I think that's distinct from intelligence and the most important trait for being able to do stuff like what he's done.

Interesting concept. Do you think you need to be very intelligent (i.e. being able to memorize things for long and with high detail, being able to access things in your memory very quickly, what other metrics are there?) to come up with the laws of motion or is it enough to have a mediocre intelligence (by the metrics above) and just be driven by the desire to really understand how things work for basically a lifetime? I mean most people don't even ask why an apple falls down and not to the side or keeps floating. Even if this question came to their minds, most won't investigate it further because it's not remotely clear what finding answers to it would gain you, you can't eat the answer, you can't fuck it, you can't monetize it to use the money to eat or fuck. Newton was for sure exceptional for even coming up with this basic question and his strong desire to find an answer to it. I'm not sure if he necessarily needed to have an exceptional intelligence as well, mediocre intelligent would do, right?

Terry also lost his virginity fucking a homeless prostitute raw dog in the back of his van

Newton wasn't a bum posting schizo videos on youtube, he was part of a community of like-minded scientists.

/g/ is mostly fuccboi CS undergrads bragging about their fitbits. It's like trying to post anything but rasslin' on /asp/.

Yeah he was wrong though, not everything group under CS is actually science, but plenty of it is

>not everything group under CS is actually science, but plenty of it is
like?

He was right with regards to his own course though. By the time you have an understanding of what computer science is you should also understand what he meant.

Actually, compilers aren't that hard to make, unless they optimize code. You literally just write down the grammar of your program as well as the regexes of your tokens and either implement an LR-automaton or use that piece of shit called YACC.

He didn't use an automatic solution like YACC to do it for him. I wouldn't even count that as writing your own compiler.

templeos.org not searching it for you since he is a fucking schizophrenic and is always changing the website, but use the way back machine and you will find some links on his website to some university.

CIA NIGGER to be more precise, do you even Terry Davis?

>pathetic pol-tier ideology
>muh jesus
>fucks crackwhores
>uploads videos of him jerking off
>gets kicked out by parents and lives in a fucking van
>his music sucks
but i wrote my own compiler!

>writing a language and compiler is hard
Jesus christ, do you guys think programming is some mystical art only a few people can do? Every single cs student writes a compiler in undergrad as a project. Half on indie game developers do this on their own to make a scripting language for their games. Writing a lisp compiler isn't even 1000 lines of code. Creating a new language is also extremely easy of its based on existing language paradigms. The hard part is optimising it, or creating an entirely new paradigm.

The Brits got it right when they named it Informatics.

>I just want to know, is he literally a mad genius

Do you seriously think the CIA would be wasting their best African-American agents' time meticulously stalking this poor man if he wasn't a threat?

Wake up.

His compiler is 20k lines, including a stack machine in assembly

>few hours
Shut the fuck up retard

Kys.

"no"

>Virgin Terry A. Davis
>wastes a decade to write useless ancient-looking OS, no one knows or cares
>schizo neet, does nothing but stream and shitpost all day
>internet stalks a coalburner, finally loses virginity to a crack whore with AIDS
>gets his life fucked up even more than usual by /g/, currently under arrest warrant for punching the only people to care about him into a coma

>CHAD NORMAN J. WILDBERGER
>reinvents the entire field of mathematics, leaves everyone baffled by his insights
>associate professor in reputable university, has enlightened thousands of students as well as viewers from around the world
>happily married with a daughter
>online shitposting has no effect on him, brushes away the cries of brainlets that don't understand his thinking with his smug visage and acerbic wit

What he did isn't as big a deal as some people think it is, but you have to admit that for a schizophrenic neet it's pretty impressive that he managed to stay focused and put in the work for the project.

His college transcripts are/were on his website.

>I could build a compiler in three days
his own words

Terry is on the level of obsessive undergrad. I wrote SML compiler (in C) as undergrad for "Automata and grammars" course in 3 weeks. We also had to implement a kernel (usually some variation of l4) for OS class in 6 weeks.
Creating your own shitty OS isn't difficult, just time consuming.

>a scripting language for their games
Not a compiler.
>a lisp compiler
Also not a compiler.

If you're not translating directly for the machine you're not compiling, and it's a whole other game when you can't rely on arbitrary system memory at run time.

>fucks crackwhores
>uploads videos of him jerking off
Wat?

You forgot
>lost his virginity.

get with the times mang

R I N G Z E R O

templeos.org/SkinnyDip.html

why the fuck would he even record this?

>why the fuck would he even record this?
for Dianna

Because he's completely insane now while before he was just crazy.

who is dianna anyway? cause the crackwhore is margie

Dammit, Terry

Terry could, can you?

We do all those thing in freshman year here.
t. european CS undergrad

i guarantee everything you make is garbage, even by terry standards

the impressive thing is how he had the will to continue on working on building an OS even though it takes fuck ton time (literally took him 10 years as i remember) theoretically anyone whos autistic or mad enough can make an OS with dedication. though unfortunately his OS isn't something highly revolutionary, and lets not forget that his autism kinda overshadowed his work.

Physics Girl. Some chick on Youtube that Terry obsess over. An user pretended to be her via email to fuck with Terry earlier this year and he's really gone downhill since.

None of those are all that impressive, I'd say any CS grad should be able to do that. The problem is you probably think of things like Linux, GCC, ext4 etc. which are gazillion lines of code due to having to support many standards, legacy cruft etc. when it is very possible to implement all of that stuff in much less.

It's nothing that CS students don't do during their entire university stint. See nand2tetris for two semester course where you do just that.
It all depends on the complexity. Writing a real/unreal mode OS is a few weeks work (depending on definition of OS it might be even a week - forth programmers do this routinely), writing a hard RT, preemptive multitasking statically verified OS would take about 20 years for a single person.
Similarly implementing a subset of C or pascal is something that a CS student does during his coursework. Implementing a commercial-level statically typed programing language with a reach library and ecosystem is again work for about 20 years for a single person.
Writing games - again depends on the complexity. See what Notch is able to do in 48hr. Coding Spore from scratch? Good luck.

I made a way to vaporize cocaine, not smoke because I dont smoke crack.

What do win?

cia nigger please

Then nothing is difficult, just time consuming.

Not sure if he is a genius, but he certainly is a programmer who enjoys programming. If you like it enough, you can wind up working on something for days at a time.

Wrong. There are plenty of difficult things in software engineering (not to mention CS). Reinventing the wheel poorly isn't difficult.
It would be difficult if his OS was distributed (QNX). It would be difficult if his OS was formally verified (seL4). It would be difficult if his OS pushed boundaries (L4, mirage, unix, ...).

>Could any brainlet with an MSc in CS do what Terry did within a few weeks
yes

Terry just followed instructions on a wiki

>be born with a rare gene mutation that makes you very sensitive to dopamine and reward, therefore making you obsessed in some subject
>become so obsessed you make your own OS, programming language and compiler
>dopamine sensitization finally makes you schizophrenic

i can see you glowing in the dark from here

and Veeky Forums is mostly fuccboi math undergrads bragging about how their major is better than the others.

can i see your OS and compiler?
that's right. you're a fucking retard.

This, I can't even read more posts

you got the movie poster?

He is an expert. His knowledge and dedication are admirable. He is not the Einstein of CS though.

Above-average CS grads could do what he did if given a decade.

>doesn't even know the reference

what is the reference?

>Could any brainlet with an MSc in CS do what Terry did
Yes, even a graduating student could
> within a few weeks
hell no, what he accomplished is the result of years of pure autism. Maybe in a year or more.

His dedication is what makes him better than most of us. It doesn't matter how smart you are, he is better cause he is able to sit down and do the work while we fuck arround on Veeky Forums and other sites.

-fellow cs master

>the work
>pointless meme hobby OS

>-fellow cs master
cringe/10

now try to disprove the point. Oh wait got nothing to show for it. Reality is most CS guys start some project like the popular "let's build a game" and drop it along the way.

fuck off nigger

It doesn't matter how dedicated you are if nobody wants to use your shit, Terry.

>he is able to sit down and do the work
Watching youtube videos, emailing dianna and masturbating on instagram?

>fuck off nigger
What's wrong with you?

>asking Veeky Forums anything about CS
These are the guys that find C difficult.
Anyways, the foundation Terry has built is impressive. He really needs to add UEFI support before the BIOS is removed instead of making divine threats through his website against Intel.

I have no idea what he does on the side but how does it matter? He did complete his os after all which means he must have fucked arround less than most people who start projects and then never finnish cause it's too troublesome and going back to entertainment is more comfortable.

>not saying his greatest achievement
He made his own compiler. If you don't make your own compiler you're coding like a pajeet, not a white man.

this was an assignment in one of my undergraduate c courses (which wasn't even compiler focused). so you're not exactly wrong.

>you're not exactly wrong.
you're confounding me

obviously it didn't implement the full specification of any particular language, but the language was turing complete and it had all the basic stuff.

what do you mean?

funny thing, the professor was indian, but definitely not a pajeet.

what's the difference?

competence

nope.

indian = pajeet

you = pajeet = shitskin

save the controlled opposition for someone who isn't onto your bullshit

this

yes, but at what cost? his brain is damaged, its probably working at 120%, he can still do some complicated stuff seemingly easily but the part responsible for basic function is failing or has failed already. Its a shitty tradeoff. At least he could have programmed something useful like actual working AI or someshit that might have helped him in the future instead he made templeOS, its impressive in a way but completely useless. Therefore its a waste and not really an achievement because achievement requires actual work.

>Therefore its a waste and not really an achievement because achievement requires actual work
so making templeOS required no work?

if the final result is 0 (like the templeOS usefulness) then yes, it didnt require any work to make.

It's quite the achievement. But any 100+IQ brainlet could do it too.
Just pick up a book on compiler theory, parsing, algorithms, OS Dev, ect...

It's just a shitton of work.