There is more genetic variation within populations than between populations

>There is more genetic variation within populations than between populations

Explain this meme. Sounds like propaganda.

Ask /pol/ and they'll give you the answer you want. Not like you came here to have an intelligent discussion, anyway.

imagine two big circles (one for white people, one for black people) that intersect 99% of each other

that's what genetic variation is like

It's a meaningless soundbite. What matters is the exact genes that are different between populations, not the overall variance.

There are no exact genes that are different

It's that 1% that matters.

Ummm actually it's less than 0.1%

Of course there are?

Most species have a lot more than 1% difference.

In what context are we talking about? I took the 1% from presumably your example.

No there aren't

I was just pointing it out, I know there's some of your kind that's just a bit misinformed and not actually doing it on purpose

Maybe you think that I'm talking about race realism? I was trying to answer the q as in abstract sense of population.
Humans have genes for a thumb. Chimps don't. What am I missing here?

was clearly talking about white and black people, and so was OP (probably)

Race is shit classification system but there are definitely unique populations within humans. And to claim that there's no difference is blatant lying.

it's just meaningless, total "variation" doesn't mean a whole lot when you are dealing for tens of thousands of dimensions

To give you an intuition, Imagine a 3d space with 2 spheres that are identical in 2d but perfectly separated along the 3rd dimention. Anybody who looks at this would instantly be able to tell there are 2 completely different groups, that's why it's easy to tell people's race from their genes.

It's a dumb meme that uses tricky semantics to actually be true.

In determining genetic variance within a population, each person is considered an individual, therefore the genetic code of each and every citizen is considered and compared against each other. In the case of genetic variance between populations, each entire population is considered an individual, therefore a sort of average of genetic traits is compared against the average of the other population. In the first case, the number of individuals being compared results in a larger variance in genetic material - even if the average human is more closely related to another human in a single population than one human is when compared to someone from a different population.

This post is actually true

What's not to get? It means that the variance between the averages of each population is less than the variance between the individuals in any one population.

There's more difference between how to make coffee beverages then there's is between strains of coffee beans

It's true, but I don't understand why it's used to support the claim that differences don't exist among populations.

The variation in height among men, is greater than the variation in height between men and women. That doesn't mean the height difference in men and women goes away, though, does it?

exactly, it's a misleading statement for normies.