When does this book get good? I've barely made it past 100 pages and it's quite a slog to read...

When does this book get good? I've barely made it past 100 pages and it's quite a slog to read. I can appreciate the prose, but the content is just fucking boring. I was able to get into Gravity's Rainbow from the first page, but this book I literally have to force myself to read. Should I drop it or is the entire book written like this?

Drop it and read something you like. I haven't read The Recognitions but JR was a big disappointment for me.

I'm not convinced he's on the level of Pynchon, or that Pynchon was influenced by him (even though Inherent Vice is a line taken from The Recognitions - that's late Pynchon). The similarities people perceive is because they both read Norbert Wiener.

if you dont like the first 100 pages it might be best to drop, it only gets worse

Wow sorry guys. This is all my fault. I've spent the past 2 years memeing gaddis but I've come to realize you are all too stupid for him. Especially after the disastrous j r thread yesterday.

He's above the level of pynchon you 0leb fuck.

absolutely not

hes a solid two levels below delillo and pynchon

HAHAHAHAJAJAJAJAJAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. Good one.

> shill a book but contribute no enlightening opinion on the work itself
> get mad when people dismiss it as fast as you praise it

what's next? vollman is a must-read?

this quality of posting belongs on youtube

R u the guy who always wants a quick breakdown of vollmanns work?

I know you, I know you. You're the only serious person in the room, aren't you, the only one who understands, and you can prove it by the fact that you've never finished a single thing in your life. You're the only well-educated person, because you never went to college, and you resent education, you resent social ease, you resent good manners, you resent success, you resent any kind of success, you resent God, you resent Christ, you resent thousand-dollar bills, you resent Christmas, by God, you resent happiness, you resent happiness itself, because none of that's real. What is real, then? Nothing's real to you that isn't part of your own past, real life, a swamp of failures, of social, sexual, financial, personal...spiritual failure. Real life. You poor bastard. You don't know what real life is, you've never been near it. All you have is a thousand intellectualized ideas about life. But life? Have you ever measured yourself against anything but your own lousy past? Have you ever faced anything outside yourself? Life! You poor bastard.

That's disappointing. I thought I'd end up enjoying the book, based on what I've heard about it, but oh well.

read part one and drop if you don't like. chapters 1&2 are p boring.

you can still enjoy it. you are barely 1/10th in.

>Inherent Vice is a line taken from The Recognitions
I am going to fucking murder you.

I thought they were hilarious.

i don't like wyatt's aunt and i don't like conversations between wyatt and esther. i like heracles a lot though and i smile when i think of him i cry when i think of him..

Why were you disappointed in JR? It took me three tries to finally get into it and found to be well worth the effort

Lol yeah she sucks but the book is 900 pages and she's only there for like 10% of it.

well that was my explanation for disliking ch1. i like the book.

You should probably go back to YA fiction. The first chapter is probably the best English prose in existence.

Because he didn't finish I bet. How could you say J R is disappointing at the end.

Mind explaining further? What are some quotes you liked?

>Inherant Vice is a line taken from the Recognitions

I am actively trying to restrain myself at just how fucking retarded you are.

if you don't like it I don't know what to tell you. I love the recognitions, and once you get a feel for some of the characters it's a ton of fun all around

okay here's another retard, stop ranking your favorite authors and fucking read them. Everything you read will be written by someone much smarter and much more informed than you about virtually everything. stop shilling your 4cent opinions and learn to develop some humility

I am NOT this guy but please, break it down for me

not enough fake 20s

ignore the plebs, these are two of my favorite books of all time

that's because esther is a whore

Even if you don't like the majority of the book, I feel like it'd be impossible to not enjoy the huge party scenes. And the last Part is phenomenal.
Might not be worth pushing through for them alone though. A big part of the enjoyment comes from the tying up of various threads, and if you haven't been interested in or really paying attention to what's come previous, the ending'll just feel like more of the same.

not him but..

"Images surround us; cavorting broadcast in the minds of others, we wear the motley tailored by their bad digestions, the shame and failure, plague pandemics and private indecencies, unpaid bills, and animal ecstasies remembered in hospital beds, our worst deeds and best intentions will not stay still, scolding, mocking, or merely chattering they assail each other, shocked at recognition."

I think I'll probably continue reading it, desu. My main problem was I just couldn't find myself interested at the beginning when they were talking about Wyatt's childhood and his relationship with his Aunt and Dad. I guess I found some parts kind of cool, but it was something that I had to force myself to read.

Some people say drop a book if you don't like it. But I'm a person who thinks life might be long enough to read everything I want to. And if I chose to read a book it's because I wanted to like it. So I give it the chance. I just read the whole thing even if I don't like it and it's weird because I think I've learned more so much from books I didn't like. So it's not totally worthless reading something you don't like. But I'm probably in the minority. I read a lot.

but i like esme

Esme is a perfect female character

Esme is a whore but she's not a whore. Esther, on the other hand, is a total whore.