Serious discussion

Our ancestors would eat deer, boars, cows, rabbits... If that is true, then how come I don't think ``yummy!'' when I see one of those animals? I think ``yummy'' when I see burgers, pizza, ice cream and other modern foods, but those didn't exist in the stone age. It doesn't make sense. If we have evolved to eat certain things, if evolution plays a role in what we should eat, and if evolution plays a role in what we like to eat, just how come I don't feel hungry when I look at pictures of wild animals? How come I don't feel like grabbing a spear and hunting my food? How come looking at a picture of a rabbit or a pig doesn't activate my supposedly existent evolutionarily DNA built hunter instinct, but looking at a picture of pizza, which didn't even exist when humans showed up, does?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TzN-uIVkfjg?t=4m50s
nature.com/articles/nature16990
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>If that is true, then how come I don't think ``yummy!'' when I see one of those animals?
because you're a soyboy

>our ancestors consumed deer, boars, cows, rabbits
because you would remove flesh from the animal first to process it and THEN eat it?
unless you like stuffing chihuahuas in your face

because you've eaten similar things before and know they're delicious.
you haven't chased down a deer and eaten it raw so you don't associate a live deer with deliciousness.

I think you're over estimating the amount of animal instincts passed down from your ancestors. I'm sure that if you left a bunch of children in the wilds they wouldn't just start hunting. they'd probably start eating random shit and deciding things that don't give them a stomach ache are food

hypernormal stimuli
youtu.be/TzN-uIVkfjg?t=4m50s

Because you've eaten that before and so know that it is good, you've eaten it so much that it is the food that your stomach and brain crave, whereas you haven't eaten a deer so would why would you ever want it without being prompted

We're all Pavlov dogs. What we associate with yummy doesn't come from genetics. It comes from a life of seeing a thing and then it tasting good in our mouths. Pavlov's experiment was a sort of hijacking of a very natural and useful mental trait of associating things together.

people arent genetically hunters

Don't overstate the reach of classical conditioning. A great deal of behavior has its roots in genetics.

who said our ancestors enjoyed the food they ate? :^)

go a week without food and they'll start to look pretty tasty

Because "yummy" was reserved for fruit, which is a sugary treat humans would find every now and then while foraging and contained a lot of sugar which is good if you're a hunter/gatherer. Junk foods of today just take the appeal of fruit and multiplies it

This. Food sources varied wildly by local population so there's not going to be any sort of pressure for instinctive food sources in our genetics. Get hungry enough and anything you know you can eat will be good.

Humans relied on intelligence and experience for hunting and they don't eat animals raw.

Chimpanzees go nuts and chase after other monkeys, I'm not sure what happened to that hunting instinct. Chimpanzees sometimes play with snakes and things even though it is within their power to kill an eat it, so the human hunting instinct is not as pronounced as a dog's or cat's.

I speculate the chimpanzee hunting instinct may actually be related to social instincts. Namely attacking outsiders and bashing social inferiors. They initially chase after the monkey because they view it as a "freak" or a curiosity, then after killing it they play with the corpse and discover the meat if they are not already aware it is meat from experience.

Because memories are not stored in you DNA. You remember what delicious things you have eaten, not the delicious things your great-grammaw noshed on.

Perhaps, maybe, just maybe because you are not a hunter.

The natural evolution of a hunter is of course a food scientist.

Humans haven't made adaptations to consume meat. Atherosclerosis only occurs in herbivores who have too high serum cholesterol.

because you are an na pleb with no palate to speak of

It makes perfect sense if you think about what you're accustomed to eating.

Go on a vegetably only diet for three weeks and then gradually add in some meats. The picture of the hamburger you just posted will look like a pile of assholes.

It's a matter of conditioning.

>Humans haven't made adaptations to consume meat.
Dead wrong. nature.com/articles/nature16990

>Atherosclerosis only occurs in herbivores who have too high serum cholesterol.
Except when it occurs in omnivores.

because evopsych isn't a real science

that's not how it works

Go back enough in time and our ancestors ate something else.

>Chimpanzees go nuts and chase after other monkeys
>other monkeys
>implying chimps are monkeys

I swear to god sometimes I look at a cow and it makes me hungry. Like there is a primal urge to sink my teeth into it while it stands there.

neither are chimps or baboos but they eat eachother and other animals all the time

We're programmed to think "Hell yeah free food" when we see things that are ready to eat, i.e. wild berries, fruits, etc.
Because we're smart, we're also able to register any arbitrary shape of object as "hell yeah free food" based on what food in our local environment looks like

From this, we get "hell yeah hamburgers"

Because you've eaten so much junk food you're conditioned to want it and don't know what real food is anymore. Humans evolved to rarely eat anything sweet or fatty, so when you found something like fruit it tasted like candy. But if you eat candy for years, fruit doesn't taste sweet so you don't like it. If you eat greasy burgers for years, a lean deer doesn't hit the spot.

It gets better, the food you eat feeds bacteria in your gut that sends chemical signals to your brain to eat more of it. So if you eat burgers for years, your brain continually gets signals telling you to eat more burgers. If you never eat veg, there's no bacteria in your gut that wants veg so you don't want any either.

>What we associate with yummy doesn't come from genetics.
It does a little. While there is no accounting for taste the flavors you enjoy are hardwired into your brain because the whole point of taste is to help you determine if a thing is worth eating.
Sweet foods are good to us because our ancestors ate fruit and if you cant taste sweet you cant tell if its ripe. Cats, hypercarnivores, can't taste sweet because they don't need to worry about it.

QED

/thread

>serious discussion
Seriously stupid. What's with all the morons on /sci?

I think OP has a real point:

If we were true carnivores, we would salivate at the sight of roadkill instead of feeling disgusted.

And another point: we hardly enjoy the taste of cooked meat. We enjoy the taste of sauces, herbs, rubs.

>Canine teeth
We get our teeth from horses. Whatever their purpose, they are far removed from the teeth of predatory animals like cats.

what do you mean by we get our teeth from horses?

I had to look at my source for that information - turns out I was wrong (which I should have known as I was typing it)

The argument states that our canines are SHARED with horses, not derived.

BIOSEMIOTICS
the waves of light that through inference are abstracted into the object you see, this perceived object shares iconicity with your conception of the sign "pizza", the sign, being a sign stands for something more than the object it is represented, it carries meaning that as been ascribed to it by the reciprocal interaction of you and that object. through learning what a pizza is called you know that means what you are looking at is a pizza, you know what a pizza is made out of(other signs like tomatoes), having experienced eating a pizza in the past you know that you like the way it tastes, this fires some neurons evoking a physical reaction of desire to eat it, your mouth may even begin to water , after certain neurological signs or hormones are interperted by your bodies to ilicit that response
FUCK IT ILL MAKE A PICTURE