What are some Veeky Forums hidden gems you think everyone should read?

What are some Veeky Forums hidden gems you think everyone should read?

Other urls found in this thread:

mundusmillennialis.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lords of the Starship, by Mark S Geston.

it's a strange little novel that you used to find in every second-hand book store. the basic plot is pretty cool; post-nuclear civilization tries to climb out of the ashes by re-starting a pre-war project to build a starship, to escape the ruined earth.

some of these are memes but whatever

A Book of Disquiet is a book i like a lot especially considering what sort of dude pessoa was, for a dude who pretty much knew everything about everything he demonstrates this restraint that gets me wet every time I open to the book

Miss Macintosh My Darling: beautiful beautiful beautiful book, some of the richest language I've seen and imo on par with prose from the bible/moby dick/the recognitions. It can be a little much at times but it holds a special place in my heart

I personally also really enjoy Rabbit Run by updike. It's got some great American stuff in there and is leagues beyond anything Kerohack does despite his weird american appeal. the book also has one of the best endings for any novel I've ever read

Beckett's endgame is a little less well known than waiting for godot but has a little more to say at times, there are also some great productions online so you don't really have to do any reading persay your first time around

among more recent stuff that I think is worth reading is "seven ways of looking" by I think McCann which is a lot of fun if you like New York and jews and mysteries and wallace stevens

hmm people really shat on City on fire but I didn't hate it, actually liked the characters and the coziness of the setting. there were times where it did feel like underworld but there were also times where it did things that Dellilo doesn't do and performs them well

hmmm Jesus' Dream is a great little collection of short stories I end up reccomending to my friends who like gristlier stuff (that and nog by wurlitzer)

and the makings of americans by stein can't be understated in how important and amazing it is

Towing Jehovah by James Morrow
Wittgenstein's Mistress by David Markson
The Son by Philipp Meyer

And I never see Richard Brautigan mentioned around here, but he ought to be.

A little book entitled "stoner", and no, it's not about weed haha

Ooh Wittgenstein's Mistress is great, can we talk about it ?

Stoner is so mediocre

Michael Kohlhäas is the epitome of underrated, unloved literature that no one talks about, despite Kafka loves it so much

Almost Never by Daniel Sada.

It is a novel with a structure and perfect writing as Don Quixote, Crime and Punishment or Disgrace.

Take Five by D Keith Mano
In Partial Disgrace by Charles Newman
Speedboat by Renata Adler
The Last Western by Thomas S. Klise

>Making of Americans
>Miss Macintosh
Patrician Detected

Markson gets a fair amount of play around here, but the other two are new to me, thanks.

Boris Vian's Froth on the Daydream is so good but I never see it talked about here. It's got waifus and jazz and that French je ne sais quoi, so i feel like it should be more popular around here.

two very well known books that I don't see discussed on Veeky Forums a lot are

Middlemarch by George Elliott
Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis

Butcher's Crossing

How is Take Five actually? It's on my list of obscure stuff to get to

>google Michael Kohlhäas
>top result is this thread

>it pops up when i remove the accented a

M V N D V S M I L L E N N I A L I S

mundusmillennialis.com/

Thomas Bernhard

Is that review brah

The man without qualities.
It should have always been the second book in the meme trilogy, replacing that useless mess that is GR

THERE IT IS BLESSED REI

He's too grumpy I can't read him.

Jesus this is atrocious

While reading GR I couldn't help but feel that Slothrop was inspired by Ulrich

Solzhenitsyn - Cancer Ward

Turgenev - Torrents of Spring

Heller - Something Happened

Steinbeck - To a God Unknown

what the fuck is this?

How is it useless?

Platonov - The Foundation Pit
Calvino - The Baron in the Trees

It doesn't really have anything to say besides a very compelling story and a gret style

My diary desu

Transience by Arthur C. Clarke -- Ultra short story providing a poignant perspective on the nature of time and humanity

Uhuru by Robert Ruark -- A big game safari guide and exsoldier lives and works in Kenya while it is in the process of revolution

Star Trek: The Captain's Table -- Very fun and light genre fiction from my days in elementary school. I still reread one of the stories every now and again for nostalgia

Outline of History by H.G. Wells -- Stimulating and poetic albeit dated book on history from the beginning all the way up until WWII

The Rum Diary -- Nice read and probably Hunter S. Thompson most balanced work. Doesn't carry the pretense and culture that Fear and Loathing has.

I saw the movie with Mads Mikkelsen and it's absolutely beautiful. Also Kleist is heavily present in my second favorite novel, "1934" by Moravia, so I should definitely read it

One is by a women though

man of jasmine - unica zürn

anything by charles williams and blanchot