Go to good university

>go to good university
>don't understand lectures and end up learning from shitbox community college
>explanations designed for brainlets like me, understand immediately

Anyone else do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

polytechnique.edu/gestion-concours/univ-int/pdf/maths_2016.pdf)
gargantua.polytechnique.fr:443/siatel-web/linkto/mICYYYUJJaYK
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Teachers are just shitty, and don't give a damn, so they hide it behind a veneer of expectation.

You want to know if anybody else is a brainlet? Yes, there are more brainlets like you out there. There's your answer.

Yeah pretty much. I'm taking as many of the "weed out" courses at CC as possible and transferring them in. It's not that I've had any bad teachers, a lot of it is due to the departmental administration(in math at least) as well as test structure.

For example, calculus tests are multiple choice, so if you arrive at an answer which is correct, but not in the form they have on the test, you have to derive it which takes time away from the other questions. For example, if used logarithmic differentiation while calculating a derivative which totally would suck balls another way, you're fucked. At CC, where it's not multiple choice, once you get to an answer, which plugged in to a calculator equals the answer on test from my university, you get it right. Probably a shit example, but you get the idea.

I understand, because there are so many students, but I've never made a grade lower than a B in calculus courses at CC, but I got my ass handed to me at my university and dropped it to avoid GPApocalypse(gotta keep my 3.7 yo) despite killing it on homework and quizzes.

I go to a pretty good university as well, so no shame in going that route.

>allowed to take four sheets of paper to math test
>watch patric jmt videos on youtube and write down order of operations for every possible proplem
>get a 7 while not understanding a thing I did
>smarter students write down theorems and proofs and score a 10
feels bad being a lazy brainlet. luckily I'm an engineer and will never have to use any of that math ever again

You've heard about the glut of phds? There are a lot more qualified people than academic teaching positions, so a lot of highly qualified people end up teaching at CC. People who actually want to be teachers rather than researchers. The instruction is often far far better than at university.

I should have clarified, I'm still at university, I just watch the lectures of other places.
What the best universities achieve in terms of teaching isn't really very impressive. They take the best and give degrees to the best. As oppose to retard in ok grad out

no

In that case, are you sure that you genuinely understand the material on the level your professor expects you to?

I've heard students say similar things (e.g., "X's YouTube videos are easier to understand than the lecture, so I just use those to study"), then proceed to fail every exam by 20+ points.

Hijacking this thread to ask a question that I hope some French Veeky Forumsentists can answer

Est-il possible pour un candidat américain de postuler (?) à l'X (pour les maths, évidemment) pour études premier cycle ? Si ceci (?) est le cas, comment puis-je faire ça ? Le site web de l'université (même la version anglaise) n'est pas du tout clair. Je serais reconnaissant si quelqu'un pouvait m'aider avec ça, sauf si cet examen-là (polytechnique.edu/gestion-concours/univ-int/pdf/maths_2016.pdf) est pour tels candidats, auquel cas il n'y a aucun intérêt à me postuler.

Is it possible for American candidates such as myself to apply to l'Ecole Polytechnique for undergrad (for math, of course)? If so, how do I do so? Not even the English version of their website makes it clear. I'd appreciate if someone could help with this--unless these entrance exams (polytechnique.edu/gestion-concours/univ-int/pdf/maths_2016.pdf) apply to aspiring undergraduates, in which there's no point in me applying.

>good university
According research brownie points you mean?
Uni reputation is very rarely proportional to quality of teaching unlike what their marketing departments want you to think.

This might not be you, but some students get to a good uni and don't realize they have to actually do homework and study to earn a grade. Most CC will teach you this. I wish I had gone to CC for a year or two to learn how to be a good student, instead of wrecking my GPA and finances.

I seriously hope you're not talking about any of the calculus series / DiffyQ / Lin algebra

> go to good uni
> learn to please teachers and think the way textbook and exam writer think
> never actually understand jackshit about anything told in the lectures
> fail at workplace because i'm an idiot with really good grades
> go back to the uni to do masters because i think i'm good at studying
> after completing the mandatory classes and their examinations i find i can't do my thesis work because i can't do original shit, i'm just an obedient and disciplined parrot
why live?

Oui c'est possible. C'est la voie FUI.
En effet le document que tu as posté est le genre de concours que tu aurais à passer.
Voici un autre exemple pour 2017 : gargantua.polytechnique.fr:443/siatel-web/linkto/mICYYYUJJaYK

>auquel cas il n'y a aucun intérêt à me postuler.
pourquoi?

Yeah I get you I think sometimes these places just tell you how to jump through exam hoops than have any great understanding. I definitely don't understand fluid mechanics despite passing it.

Surely the future of education is in videos. I have access to some of the greatest lectures in their respective fields for free on YouTube. MIT Opencourseware, Feynman lectures etc.
Yeah unfortunately this is true. If you're highly researched focus then teaching is probably considered a chore rather than a critical part of the job.

Nah that is me I don't do enough homework

I did the same thing.

I also dropped out at 9.5.

Are you dumb or feeling like you should feel dumb?

no, that was pretty easy. I'm talkin fourier and laplace transforms and such

Fourier series is one of the, if not the, most important concepts in engineering. Laplace is also useful for analyzing RC/LC/RLC/RL circuits if you're an EE

luckily I'm just a civil engineer

Kek, definitely one of my fears. If possible, you should probably leave grad school and come back at a later date after you have learned the material.

>learn any challenging material by rote memorization and a superficial as possible level of understanding
>study for the tests to ensure passing grades
>study material more in depth during breaks and after the semester ends for deeper intuitive understanding

anyone else this brainlet?

I don't see how that makes you a brainlet. Unless the topics you're learning are paramount to research that runs concurrently with your studies, who cares? If you truly understand the material after going through it after the class is over then it should be fine.

Keep in mind this could lead to bad habits or worsening ones that you already have.