Thoughts on Margaret Atwood?

I hate this cunt.
I HATE HER.

Isis in Darkness is my favorite short story

When an ugly girl is lonely, isolated, and marginalized, they have the best personality, they can be a wonderful friend and lover. When they become skinny, get a makeover, they put on airs and become cunts.

Such as it is when female authors receive recognition.

Has to read her story Gertrude Speaks for class - absolute trash. I was stunned.

>triggered by Atwood.

Jej

Among the greatest poets alive today. Her novels are more mixed, but A Handmaid's Tale is the greatest dystopian novel since 1984, and perhaps even more relevant to our current society.

>A Handmaid's Tale is the greatest dystopian novel since 1984, and perhaps even more relevant to our current society.
Ha! Funny, user!

Do you mean you don't enjoy reading her writing? I can't see what grounds you'd have to hate her personally. Did she run over your dog?

>le dystopian novel is more relevant than ever in today's society
This fucking meme. Please die. Dumb ass reddit thinking the world's any different now because they are finally paying attention. Conspiracy theories are popular now and questioning the government is mainstream so everyone keeps repeating this bullshit as if anything that's happened is new or unheard of. Go back. Stop letting the television and reddit tell you how to feel.

My life philosophy is diametrically opposed to hers.

Not lit but writes ok stories and understands how corporate feudalism will fuck with class and peoples motivation.

oryx and crake was pretty good but i found that her brand of irony got a little grating after 150 pages which is not so good for a 400 page novel.

Had to read The Blind Assassin in high school, thought it was shit.

Also annoying that she has repeatedly invoked The Handmaid's Tale as some kind of warning about where things are about to go if we have any kind of conservative government, and how she brings up the Puritans as proof that her dystopia is a real possibility, which just shows she has no understanding of who the Puritans were or what Puritan society was like.

How can you get so triggered by such a benign public intellectual?

>perhaps even more relevant to our current society.
>our current society.

nigga

"Greatest dystopian..." LOL! Not even close!

is this a sexism containment thread?

Formula for a female author to be overrated-
Take one mediocre novelist;
add female protagonist;
add sex scenes;
add mockery of Christianity;
mix in nonsensical actions by the Strong Female Protagonist;
then put into lousy plot;
stir thoroughly.
Viola!
>worked for Rand, too

>A Handmaid's Tale is the greatest dystopian novel since 1984, and perhaps even more relevant to our current society.

what, like how can you even

how could anyone believe this nonsense

nothing comes to mind when I think of how that novel is in any way relevant to our current climate.

>It's not dystopian! It's a utopian.

>Keeps pictures of Lena on his HD

Fuck her.

who are you and why do you have a tripcode?

None of your business, noob.

Christianity is dying out though.

I've been here for a while. Are you the same person who recommended marius the epicurean for a long time?
Why do I need to identify you? Do you have some sort of qualification that might be useful to consult or are you just a girl that reads classics?

>Are you the same person who recommended [M]arius the [E]picurean for a long time?
Yes. It's still a good book, so I'm still recommending it.

>perhaps even more relevant to our current society.

Why did you have to make this controversial remark? Now all the replies will focus on it instead of whether the book is good or not and I won't know if I'm supposed to like it.

I think it's a great read user.

>do you have a valid reason for using a tripcode?
What is this, a rhetorical question? When have you ever seen a justified trip?

Are you going to keep telling us you look like Bjork, by any chance?

just categorize the handmaids tale as a sci-fi and move on. That's what it is because she provides no basis for the events that precipitate the setting of the novel besides "lmao the environment" and "lmao religion" as well as "lmao men are impotent but wont let others know". 1984 and BNW can be called dystopic because they are responses to immediate and specific global crisis. BNW is a reaction to the burgeoning consumer culture and 1984 is one to the rise of totalitarianism in Europe. At the time there was evidence to suggest that there were trends that might lead to these dystopias. Vague precedents such as "the environment made men infertile" and "the religious and luddite-ism suddenly gained more power and influence than corporations and capital" are the hallmark of sci-fi. As an example to qualify this, look at Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep. Essentially it has the same vague and irrelevant precedents to provoke its setting. Handmaids tale is just sci-fi not dystopia, and as the years have progressed it has only gotten more irrelevant. The only reason it is talked about is because it is so easy to teach and is presented in the humanities to cater to the demands for equal representation of a women's poetics which is actually the one thing that it does with any sort of merit.

I preferred it when I could go without, but there was an increase of assholes, so...

user said it first old friend said it ages ago of course.

>I preferred it when I could go without, but there was an increase of assholes, so...
Not sure that level of intentional misreading deserves a (You)
To the filter with you!

Blind Assassin is good.

She faces the same problem as the Brontes or whatever. People will never think she's any good because she's a woman, even when she is good, but she isn't so good that its undeniable and ridiculous to say she's bad, so she's not like Jane Austen or Virginia Woolf.

She should have used a pseudonym, but then I suppose she wouldn't have all those chicks reading her because "MOG sSHE"S a WOMAN!"

>intentional misreading