3d printing organic compounds

How would I go about creating a conformationally stable model of cyclohexane?

I'd be really interested to hear what your ideas are.
Based on what you guys come up with, I will go ahead and print out a model.

I would very much like to print out a model of cyclohexane based on your instructions.

bump

Wouldn't Cyclohexane just be a hexagon if you print it like the ones in the picture?

Dont do OPs homework for him

This isn't homework. I would really like to print out a 3d model.

Cyclohexane is good because it's just a hexagonal ring with your standard conformations.

I just don't know how to go about printing one out. :-)

bump

Conformationally stable cyclohexane would be the chair conformation , not a hexagon

How would I go about printing such a thing?

If I wanted to print out a 3d model of chair conformation. I have models, but like how would I go about making my own?

Noob question: how did we know about molecules arrangement before being able to look at them?

Okay, I'm going to bump this.

If I give you guys a file can you double check that it could be 3d printed?

I think I have figured this out, I just don't have a 3d printer on hand, so I would have to wait. If anyone could take a look at the file then that would make this worth it.

Experimentation.

Explain to me how "experimentation" pre-crystallography and advanced microscopes allowed to know the shapes of molecules?
Mid-19th century the shape of benzene was known. How come?

Experimentation.

Explain to me how "experimentation" pre-crystallography and advanced microscopes allowed to know the shapes of molecules?
Mid-19th century the shape of benzene was known. How come?

bond energy calculations.

Spectroscopy. Only certain wavelengths of light are absorbed by benzene in the IR range. These allowed absorptions corresponded to vibrational modes.

With math you can prove that certain vibrational modes are exclusive to certain shapes for molecules. Thus, with calculation, benzene's shape was proven from spectra.

It get's exponentially harder to estimate when you lose symmetry elements in a molecule so benzene was an easy start.

That explains reactions, but that doesn't explain angles of bonds and geometry of molecules. How were those known?

Spectroscopy. Only certain wavelengths of light are absorbed by benzene in the IR range. These allowed absorptions corresponded to vibrational modes.

With math you can prove that certain vibrational modes are exclusive to certain shapes for molecules. Thus, with calculation, benzene's shape was proven from spectra.

It get's exponentially harder to estimate when you lose symmetry elements in a molecule so benzene was an easy start.

>With math you can prove that certain vibrational modes are exclusive to certain shapes for molecules

Ok, but how does recognizing vibrational nodes explain the shape of the molecules?

Modes. Not nodes.

I'm out of here. Night. Use wikipedia.

So, you don't know?

No wonder people despise STEM faggots. You don't even know shit, you just learn by heart stuff you barely understand, and you have no fucking clue where it comes from.

Belief at its finest, LOL

So, you don't know?

Hey, can you stop shitting up my thread? I'm trying to get help.

And I'm trying to understand how the hell molecular shapes were known before advanced imagery and crystallography.
Enjoy the friendly bumps!

Make your own thread then. You can scare away people in there, but not in one I made to get help on practical modeling.

Can you explain to me how the shapes of molecules were known before we had the technical means to do so?

You're a feckless human being and I don't have any time worth spending on explaining myself to you.

So you're a believer and you apply stuff you don't know the origins of, and that you can't explain?

Not very scientific my man

Sorry, was harsh and I take it back. You've proved your point.

hey faggot, you may think scientific theory is only a belief because you're not familiar with the concept, but I'll answer your question. If you ever took a basic chemistry class in your life, which you obviously haven't, you'll learn about VSEPR theory, which posits that lone electron pairs (those that don't make up bonds) have a stronger repulsion than bonding electrons, and influence the geometry of the atom it's comprising to allow for a greater bond angle. Bond angles are found by having an angle that separates every domain (any type of bond, although more bonds cause slightly more severe angles for obvious reasons) and finding the angles that are equal on one plane, adding up to 360 (on one plane), and place each bond as far away from each other whilst simultaneously equidistant. This began as a this theory before experimentation, and if you aren't 14 this was probably a ruse to get me to do your chemistry homework, but in either case fuck off.