Itt lit discusses Proust in a calm and rational manner like civilized adults

Itt lit discusses Proust in a calm and rational manner like civilized adults.

Bellissimo, ma se si lascia tempo passare da non leggerlo, si deve rimcominciare almeno quella volume, ho trovato

Anche moncreiff e' migliore per l'anglofoni, penso

Is that how cringy we sound when we type in english?

pls no

Goethe vs Proust who wins?

Ok, here we go. Which translation, lads? Are those made by a different translator each supposed to be better--whatever you think "better" means when it comes to translations? Even if they are, don't you think it was a stupid idea to have different people? That was just to get them out the door faster, I feel. Thoughts?

Proust for prose, Goethe for everything else

What's your favorite book of the suite? Really enjoying Within A Budding Grove atm

Everyone I know who's read it ended up preferring Time Regained, or however the last volume is titled.

Le rat cummer faec

Mais même au point de vue des plus insignifiantes choses de la vie, nous ne sommes pas un tout matériellement constitué, identique pour tout le monde et dont chacun n'a qu'à aller prendre connaissance comme d'un cahier des charges ou d'un testament ; notre personnalité sociale est une création de la pensée des autres. Même l'acte si simple que nous appelons « voir une personne que nous connaissons » est en partie un acte intellectuel. Nous remplissons l'apparence physique de l'être que nous voyons de toutes les notions que nous avons sur lui, et dans l'aspect total que nous nous représentons, ces notions ont certainement la plus grande part. Elles finissent par gonfler si parfaitement les joues, par suivre en une adhérence si exacte la ligne du nez, elles se mêlent si bien de nuancer la sonorité de la voix comme si celle-ci n'était qu'une transparente enveloppe, que chaque fois que nous voyons ce visage et que nous entendons cette voix, ce sont ces notions que nous retrouvons, que nous écoutons.

Can we talk about the more recent penguin/randomhouse translations as opposed to the Moncrieff/revised Moncrieff editions? has anyone got an opinion on one versus the other. based on what I saw online (and this may just be some hack shilling for the newer versions) I'm leaning towards the way the newer ones are done

Has anyone with some balls tried Google translating the whole thing?

I'm enjoying the penguin translation of the second part. The annotations are a nice addition, occasionally offering some neat insight and the translation is fluid and not overtly rambling. I've only got a Swedish translation to compare it to but I felt that the Swedish one made Proust sound stitled, artificial and way too clinical - as if he with every sentence tried to write something long and pretentious. This doesn't at all feel like that

No I mean who wins in a fight to the death

You ain't me fag. Gtfo

No kidding, Google translate is getting really good. Just try it on . It's amazing for learning new languages.

>rational manner
>civilized adults

14 posts in

>faggot
>gtfo

slow clapping for you, Veeky Forums

What's so special about ISOLT?

Its an immersive look into the life of an individual. I personally love being able to step into Prousts shoes and I always feel as if I've learned a bit more about myself when I read it

Moncreiff was a contemporary of Proust so he understands the detail of the vocabulary of that world. Where he errs it's sometimes because he's too archaic where Proust is straightforward.

No matter how much research they do, modern translators cannot get the detail of vocab and decorum of turn if the century high society, because they did not live through it.

Proust's translations of Ruskin are worth reading for their copious annotations and lengthy introductions.

A model of close reading and apprenticeship to a literary master.

The translations are free online at archive.org or google books, and available for money in a couple of English translations (Proust's translation of Ruskin translated back into English).

he's my husbando

Within a Budding Grove is probably the comfiest volume, but I think in terms of plot significance and beauty of writing I probably liked either The Captive or The Fugitive the best.
is right though. Time Regained is satisfying as fuck. Just about everything ties together so well at the end that it almost makes you believe that destiny is both possible and real.

The annotations of the penguin translation, granted, are useful but since I read Moncrieff's the second time round, I would have to say Moncrieff is far superior.

I'd say the first two volumes or the last is the best.

>Saint Loup will never be your bro