>Pinecone
>Gass
>McElroy
Someone pls name the other two.
Also OP it's Melville.

Lol

Me.

McCarthy and DeLillo

Delilo is fucking shit. Sub him out for gaddis.

"...the real American writers so far have all been minor writers, such as Jack London, Bret Harte, Robert Service in Canada and such like, and it will take a long time before they produce any art which is worthwhile. What they want in my opinion is a few more wars..." – James Joyce

lol america has so many great LIVING prose stylists (not to mention the dead ones) that people cant even agree who should be in the picture

I guess Joyce never read Melville.

do you have to be an autist to not like delillo?

wallace is trash

Why IS Delilo on there?

I took a creative nonfiction course with him at Ponoma back in '94. We weren't allowed to show anyone our essays outside of the class for some reason. He seemed naturally intelligent, didnt need to look at any notes or textbooks or prepare for any lectures, he just knew his stuff and was super casual.

I saw him talking to a girl on campus one day. He uncharacteristically wore a Fila sweatsuit, the kind that looks like it's made from the same material as parachutes, and trainer sneakers with a matching bandana. That was his pussy hunt outfit apparently. Several times a week, same outfit, I'd see him hitting on women in it. I once saw him wearing it while carrying an identical outfit from the dry cleaners, he had like 4 sets of same Fila sweatsuit.

I asked him about it in class and he said we aren't allowed to discuss anything unrelated to class while inside class, the same way we can't show anyone outside of class our essays. A student called out "but Dostoevsky isn't in this class and last week you talked about replicating his black tea obsession to test its affects on your own writing". Wallace stared blankly at the student with dead eyes for 30 seconds in dead silence then said "you just got knocked down a full letter grade. Any other smart asses? Didn't think so." and pushed up his glasses with his index finger.

I remember telling myself this guy will either be super successful or kill himself.

He's good but not on the rests level. Gimme a break.

first sentence immediately gives you away. In 1994 he was writing infinite jest in isolation in syracuse, ny

It's a classical case of 'great author with shit taste'. I blame Dante.

Why do you people keep using that phrase?

>foremost prose stylist

It sounds completely pretentious - like you're trying very hard to sound fashionable.

Are you gays?

So WW2, the Cold War, Korea, Vietnam, the War on Drugs, the Gulf war, the Iraq war,. et al, weren't enough?

That's why it's funny you fucking faggot. It's a meme lmao.

McElroy btw senpai

I suppose, to that, Joyce might respond by saying that Americans are now ready to produce great literature.

Are they?

Kek

Yes. John Green is a prime example. It is stupid of Joyce to suggest that art flourishes because of war though.

>There's a more renowned prose stylist, but only I know about him

Man we got cool anons on the sub tonight

>that's why it's funny

But, it isn't.

>he dies
>a few years pass
>the Pineconeroller appears

How can a man be this right, did he have superpowers?

He was right, America didn't have the planet's most innovative and influential national literature until after WWII.

in a grave and as such not on the pentagram
there isnt a single person on earth who was alive during melvilles lifetime hes not "foremost"
gaddis is dead
im wicked gay

tfw they will all die in the next 10 years

Replace McCarthy or DeLillo with Vollmann