Did a book ever change your life?

Did a book ever change your life?

I read Infinite Jest while withdrawing from heroin and meth. It was, maybe, the worst few weeks of my entire life. I had been addicted for years - living outside or on a friend's floor, shoplifting batteries to return for store credit just so I could get something to eat (I would have never spent my cash on food), begging dealers to give me just enough so I could feel good enough to come up with some bullshit plan to get more money, etc - and I needed to try something new, immediately. I decided to pick up Infinite Jest, as I'd heard it dealt with some of the issues I was having such a hard time with, and something clicked inside of me. I had never before read what seemed like my own thoughts put so beautifully. I didn't realize there were other people out there that understood depression and addiction in the way I understood it. I felt alone until I read that book. It legitimately changed my life. It opened my eyes to the little everyday things I had been missing, and the importance of compassion. I had been truly alone - even when surrounded by other people - for so long, and David Foster Wallace became, during that time, the best friend I ever had. I didn't want to go out and use anymore, I wanted to stay home and read. I truly believe it played a significant role in saving my life, and sparked what I know will be a lifelong love of literature. I am addicted to reading now, and I could never describe to you just how much my life has improved over the past few years.

Other urls found in this thread:

jstor.org/stable/pdf/20107209.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=tmeU9GFJW3I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kys

What the fuck is wrong with you mate?

Infinite Jest made me want to start drinking, really. The last part of the book was depressing as hell. It was still enjoyable overall, though. Can anyone recommend a book that's similar to the A.A. parts of IJ?

get lit son:

jstor.org/stable/pdf/20107209.pdf

Haha this sounds like a poor advert.

Like those home gym DVD infomercials.

OP, you're a liar and a bad story teller.

Same.
Im in rehab right now.

To the others being all
>kys
>poor advert

So what sometimes people like stuff and can relate and like to express that

If IJ changed your life you're probably a little stupid. Or 13. There's no big narrative here you wouldn't have already considered. IJ is basically just a big self help book.
I did enjoy a lot of it though. I wish Dave wrote a big biography on Himself.

>pretending to be smart

lol

There are two fakers.

I) people who choose to hate DFW in order to look superior

II)people who praise DFW in order to look superior.

Thanks OP, I was thinking about getting on heroin and meth. Will pick up the book too.

The point is that I'm not smart lad. You mother fuckers are insecure as hell.

I like DFW. I just don't see how you can be alive and on this board and have Dfw present anything new to you.

Apparently AA members are forbidden from identifying themselves as part of AA. DFW was able to research the AA section of Infinite Jest because some AA meetings are open to the public and he went to those.

I loved Infinite Jestand I don't give a fuck who gives me shit for it on this board. It's my favorite book. I love my classics too but IJ is way better than most of them

A Japanese novel named The Tatami Galaxy.

The unnamed protagonist enters college with dreams of discovering that "mystical rose-colored campus life", but is swiftly dragged into petty schemes and mad feuds by his ever-looming classmate Ozu.
As one potential club and life path after another ends in disappointment and regret, time is reverted back to that first day of college three years ago to illustrate as many theoretical campus lives as possible.
Through all these potential lives, various characters continuously pop up in a variety of guises, and the way the show uses its nonlinear narrative to both continuously build the protagonist's character and fill out our impression and understanding of these side characters is masterful.

It's a really powerful story. The only way to read it in English is by downloading the fan translated pdf online.

>the way the show uses its nonlinear narrative
Obviously meaning the novel, but there is an animated show adaptation of the story as well.

The book makes AA seem so romantic. I can see the allure of cults now.

That was a lie he told interviewers. He didn't go to open meetings, he was an AA member.

Junky by William S. Burroughs

Yea, I know right? I actually dipped into a meeting after reading the book to see if Wallace's portrayal was accurate. It was mostly similar to how it's portrayed in the book, only way, way more depressing. I thought I could handle it. I was wrong.

most people on this board won't relate. the general lit user is a neet in his early 20's who pissed his teen years away gaming and shitposting before discovering this board and feeling the need to systematically (i.e. autistically) devote their life to reading and going about in in a gamifyed way. books are achievements to be unlocked for most people here. not perspective altering pieces of art. your story, however, is gay as shit. everyone reading is a fag. peace.

Pretty short page count. I'll check it out.
I want to do the same but, I tend to laugh at inappropriate things. So it would be like a stand up comedy act for me. On the off chance that I can stifle my laughter, I fear that I'd stick out too much, not being an alcoholic and all.

No.

what a fucking easily impressed child. Fucking end yourself

This rings a bell, is the anime actually good orrr....

Yes it's great

Other Morimi is great too.

I read infinite jest after hitting the self realization eating of the apple brain becoming aware of itself wall that a lot of us go through. I loved ideas behind it but thought the whole thing was overwrought.

whats her name...Jennifer Egan works in a lot of similar territory as DFW and was much more concise--territory meaning the ways they construct visual images in your mind using words and symbols, not really so much theme.

anyway, with that said, The Alchemist changed my life (yeah, this mother fucker just shit on IJ and exalted The Alchemist?) As parable, as symbols, it works masterfully at getting you to a place where you are archetyping your own life. it really is sort of brilliant in that it is several 'types' of books in one.

After The Alcehmist though, and more than the Alchemist (I had to give the alchemist first credit though) was Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson. It's like a manual for The Mind. It's simple, incredibly powerful, and easily worth a second read about 6 months to a year after the first).

can't wait for the movie
youtube.com/watch?v=tmeU9GFJW3I