Came up on an exam, friend says it's 0, I say it's 180, is either of us correct?

Came up on an exam, friend says it's 0, I say it's 180, is either of us correct?

First of all, neither of you are correct, because you need to have a variable to represent infinity, so you could have $\lim j \to \inf {[\arctan (x) ]}^j_(-j)$

It's [math]\pi[/math]

XD

look like a 3 xD

If you look at the graph of the arctan(x), you can see that the bounds approach the horizontal asymptotes of pi/2 and -pi/2. Add them up in the evaluation and you get pi. Tell your friend he is a brainlet.

its divergent you nigger

>180 and 0
Both are absolutely retarded answers
\pi is correct

Holy fuck you're a brainlet. Did you just pick a word you thought was fancy to try to sound smart?

First of all, OP. You're fucking retarded for not using radians. ALWAYS fucking use radians when you're doing analytical trigonometry, or algebra/calc that involves trig. Using degrees in a setting that is not specifically real-world is a real brainlet move, and even then, radians are sometimes better.

Second of all, you dumb fuck. Those are improper limits of evaluation. You have to substitute [math]\tau[/math] in for x, and let tau approach infinity for the first eval, the subtract the limit of arctan as tau approaches negative infinity.

The answer is [math]\pi[/math]. pi RADIANS. That can be converted to degrees, but again, only brainlets do that.

It is π/2-(-π/2)=π

>analytical trigonometry
triggered

kek'd

this

200 gradian.

>it obviously converges to pi/2 and -pi/2

i seriously hope you don't write this on an exam

>it's a "brainlet math majors can't understand convenient shorthand" thread

does not converge. its infinite

Yeah have to agree, my professor basically flat out told us today that degrees are retarded

arctan(inf) - arctan(-inf) = 90 - 270 = -180

Both of u screwed up

But 90 = 450, so it's actually 450 - 270 = 180

arctan(inf)+arctan(inf)=90+90=180 arctan(-x) = - arctan x

>90=450

this is why nobody respects math

arctan isn't a function so you can't integrate over it

retard.

>being this retarded

goddamn kys