Mysterious object confirmed to be from another solar system

Was this an alien scout ship disguised as an asteroid?

theguardian.com/science/across-the-universe/2017/nov/20/interstellar-object-confirmed-to-be-from-another-solar-system

Other urls found in this thread:

nasa.gov/feature/solar-system-s-first-interstellar-visitor-dazzles-scientists
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>went near the sun just in time to fly right by the earth
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
merely a coincidence

check the catalogue

It's a big rock you doughnut.

It's a stone you brainded

>Astronomers have named interstellar object ’Oumuamua and its red colour suggests it carries organic molecules that are building blocks of life

The power of pop-science

They should have named it RAMA-1, just for grins.

What if the ARA San Juan quantum teleported through time and space and flew by earth days before it went lost?
R8 my theory

Nibiru

No.

Just finished Rendezvous with Rama. Missed opportunity big time.

Maybe it's like the ships in Stargate Universe.
They refuel by skimming hydrogen off stars.

Fuck OP i was asking the same question myself

nasa.gov/feature/solar-system-s-first-interstellar-visitor-dazzles-scientists

>"The asteroid, named ‘Oumuamua by its discoverers, is up to one-quarter mile (400 meters) long and highly-elongated—perhaps 10 times as long as it is wide. That aspect ratio is greater than that of any asteroid or comet observed in our solar system to date."
>"greater than that of any asteroid or comet observed in our solar system to date."

The only way to really tell if it slows down or changes course, because then its not ballistic and must be under it's own power.

Almost certain chance its just a rock, but still fun to speculate nonetheless.

You wanna talk about odds?

What are the odds of a random space rock having this trajectory? Seriously, even NASA couldn't accomplish this feat and this "rock" does it accidentally?

There is no such thing as up or down in space user.

The words up and down were not found in his post user.

>Being a retarded /x/fag
So explain what's wrong with it's orbit.

Ok i'll explain this better for you.

Just because every planet and other terrestrial object in the solar system orbits on one single plane doesn't mean all the stars in the universe orbit on the same plane as Earth too, the Asteroid came from the direction of Vega, look at where Vega is relative to the Solar System, look at pic and get an idea of the orientation of Vega relative to Sol.

NASA needs an impractically large rocket to duplicate that trajectory. An interstellar object can be moving quite fast relative to the solar system, so all that needs to happen is for an object to come into the solar system that's already moving fast enough to escape the sun's gravitational pull.

For engaging in pedantry you're being terribly sloppy. The planets in our system are only close to being in the same plane as the Jupiter/Sun pair, and as for other "terrestrial object(s)" that are not planets, most of those are nowhere near the plane of the ecliptic.

holy shit you're so fucking smart dude

>The planets in our system are only close to being in the same plane as the Jupiter/Sun pair

Didn't think it was necessary to point out something so obvious

>"terrestrial object(s)"
>(s)
Are you trying to be retarded?

Not really. Suppose we go on board. Oh wow, a bunch of retarded robot spiders and incomprehensible bullshit. What a complete waste of time.

>theguardian.com

Bloody interstellar foreigners, coming over here, stealing our star-fuel.

>A chance to study a space drive that has moved a spaceship-sized object a long distance, faster than anything mankind has ever produced, would be a waste of time.
Let alone any other technology.
Also, the universe seems to have some incomprehensible bullshit in it, so let's just give up on astrophysics while we're at it.

>What are the odds of a random space rock having this trajectory?

The odds are heavily weighed toward the random space rock actually having that trajectory. To travel out of another star system, you've got to be travelling incredibly fast. At it's "slowest", it's travelling around double the speed of Voyager I, which is escaping our solar system. That speed along with the distance to the sun is exactly what gives it they hyperbolic shape.

It's a mineral you mindbabies.

give me literally one thing wrong with that trajectory
>Seriously, even NASA couldn't accomplish this feat and this "rock" does it accidentally?
not even gonna start on how dumb this is

>What are the odds of a random space rock having this trajectory?
About the same as it having literally any other trajectory.

so, 50/50 then?

Either it has a sling shot trajectory with a nearby star or it doesn't

Holy shit Isaac, it's almost like a rogue interstellar planetoid would find itself falling towards the nearest largest gravitational body!
And falling around the sun is the most likely thing to happen. The long odds would be in it bullseyeing something. I mean it's space, the thing primarily defined by its shockingly abundant and expansive swaths of sweet fanny fuck-all.

Thats no asteroid.

It is estimated to happen about once a year, and it us possible to happen much more frequently, but we just such at finding this kind of stuff right now

It's the entire combination that makes it interesting.

It is an object that arrived from "outer space", it is odd in shape and we won't be able to inspect it properly since it's already on its way out.

>tfw the main propulsion system is an upscaled EM-drive

T'is Nibiru good Sir

Until we see more, we have no idea of it is an odd occurrence or not. A sample size of 1 is hardly significant.

Yes, it is interesting though, and we should certainly work on detecting these event sooner so we can collect as much data as possible, and maybe even get a probe out there to meet it next time

Hi Ross!

How the fuck can a telescope detect such an object, and yet they cannot see it through the telescope?

They even have the balls to say what colour it is! Unbelievable, literally.

>it's a long thin cylinder
>engineering shows the only sensible shape for a spacefaring warship would be a long thin cylinder (minimal cross section)

I've been wondering when someone would suggest that. ^_^

It was picked up by the Pan-STARRS telescope which is specifically designed to photograph the entire visible sky periodically, looking for changes. Most of those would be asteroids and novae, of course.

The picture of a long thin stone is only an artist's conception. Telescopes can see it, but not in any detail. The shape is inferred from the fairly radical changes in brightness it undergoes, presumably as a result of its rotation.

Interestingly Rama came to the world's attention because something had left a dark splotch on its flank and the rapid variations in brightness made it stand out.

Seriously this.

Odds? With as big as the universe is the odds that this will happen given enough time approaches 100%

L-LEWD

>magnetic poles don't exists

You would need to be braindead to believe it's a rock.

>alien spaceship
>composition confirmed to be rock and metal, like all other asteroids

Interesting.

There is the possibility that it is not in fact cigar shaped but an object with a 20:10:1 ratio. It could be a big fucking disk or mirror. Of course the spectra does not match up for this....
It didn't get that close.

Im from buenos aires , and you are a faggot !

am I the only one creeped out by how close it was to hitting earth?

its nothing, cool things never happen.

It's believed to be rock or metal because the rotation period is too fast and the object's mass is too low for gravitation to hold a rubble pile together, therefor it must be a singular mass, either of rock or metal.

Probably.
It's closest approach to Earth was about 24,000,000 kilometers.
That's a pretty safe margin.
Space, even within the Solar System, is very big and we are very small target.

I did some numbers for an astronomy lecture I gave once. Scaled the Solar System so the orbit of Pluto was 40 miles across.
On that scale, Earth was the size of a baseball. You could drop it in the grass and never find it again.
On the same scale, the nearest other star was 150,000 miles away, more than halfway to the Moon.

Plenty of more likely things in the newspapers to get creeped out about.

Spaceships are made of rocks (minerals) and metal too user