Some insight on computer engineering vs computer science

So i'm currently in my first year of computer engineering, and killing all of my courses except for chemistry, don't really practice it at all, i'm at a B+ or something.

I originally wanted to go into computer engineering because I found cryptography and networking really cool and wanted to go into that. But i'm beginning to find machine learning and AI very cool as well.

Can someone fill me in on how different computer science and computer engineering will be later on? My university offers a computer science degree with a specialization in data science and i'm really considering switching into computer science but i'm not sure.

I really enjoy physics and math, and i'm a little behind in coding, but i really enjoy it. I only know the basics of java (we are currently doing python).

Can someone fill me in on what I should be focusing on if i wanted to go into machine learning/ data sceince. Like what sort of math/physics/programming languages I would need, and would it be worth it to switch into computer science?

This is what i was thinking of doing (tell me if this sounds stupid).

I was planning on reading this textbook amazon.ca/Artificial-Intelligence-Modern-Approach-3rd/dp/0136042597, and extensively learn Java, Python and C on my free time. Would this in any way help improve my pathway to machine learning? Sorry for the faggotry of text, i'm just sort of lost.

Other urls found in this thread:

engineering.uottawa.ca/about/programs/undergraduate/computer-science-data-2016
engineering.uottawa.ca/about/programs/undergraduate/computer-2016
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>faggotry
Why the homophobia?

why haven't you killed yourself yet you retarded faggot nigger?

>>f*******
Why the homophobia?

>why haven't you killed yourself yet
Why would I kill myself?

>you retarded faggot nigger?
cringe

>>>f*******
Who are you quoting?

>Why would I kill myself?
cringe

why the fuck are you so homophobic? don't write that shit you idiot

literally gave me PTSD

>cringe
Not an argument.

I have to assume you're too ignorant to continue this conversation in an educational manner. Would you rather I just call you stupid instead of ignorant? Because you're acting pretty stupid right now. And mad.

You do realize that since you've been bated from your normal shit posts to actually taking the time to write shit out, it means that I've won the troll battle you started in the first place, right? Since you failed at your pathetic attempt to shit post like the troll you are I figured I'd give you a taste of your own medicine.

I'm glad you realize that you've been bested.

ML and AI is much, much, much more math and stats than CS. You'll want to study multivariate calculus, linear algebra, and as much statistics as you can learn. All of the cool kids use Python for ML, which is a brainlet programming language that you can pick up in days. Good luck!

if you can learn to program in python in days why does it take 4 years for cs students to learn to program?

(You)

>ML and AI is much, much, much more math and stats than CS
no, it's really not.
>statistics
will be largely time wasted. statistics is entirely different from ML, and the few statistical techniques you'll need would be taught/refreshed in any ML class/book.
>All of the cool kids use Python for ML
not unless you plan on working for a startup or won't enter the field for another 4 years. OP should start with R, since most older projects he'll encounter will be written in it and there's no way in hell some recent graduate is going to be handed a large scale ML project to start from scratch.

in short, don't listen to this faggot. he's only pretending to know what he's talking about.

"CE" is basically CS+EE mixed.
What you concentrate more is your choice, depending on what electives you pick.
You will know more about computers than the average CS. You will know more about computation than the average EE. It prepares you most of the widest variety of jobs.

>It prepares you most of the widest variety of jobs.
jack-of-all-trades employees haven't been favorable since like the 1930. Specialization >>> diversification always, mostly.

>implying cs grads actually learn to program at all
Just ask any tech interviewer at any company how many fresh cs grads are actually competent programmers and they'll burst out laughing

Hmm, so up to what point should stop with R and switch over to Python. I have some computing statistics course in my second year, so i'll prob pick up a textbook and read that.

>will be largely time wasted. statistics is entirely different from ML
Every ML books I read, the contents are basically 90% statistics and probability. But they are in "Bayesian" style.

A solid ML education begins with a solid foundation in probability theory and statistics

>i

This.
It's better to do double degree in CS and Statistics then go to ML or datascience Ms.

>he thinks you specialize in undergrad

top kek

ok so my uni has this:

engineering.uottawa.ca/about/programs/undergraduate/computer-science-data-2016

this is what im currently in

engineering.uottawa.ca/about/programs/undergraduate/computer-2016

>uottawa
lol

Do you even know ML/AI? I was planning on hopping in today and the majority of it is fucking math that you need to know before getting started. Once you get the Math down the rest is a cake walk from what I've heard.

>dude just initialize a few objects in pytorch and run for loop
>we wuz math n stats n shiet

Do you have a disability that prevents you from functioning socially? I don't see any other reasons you would make a post as abhorrent as that.

Do you have a disability that prevents you from functioning non-homophobically? I don't see any other reasons you would make a post as abhorrent as that.

i know grade 12 english teacher was tough, he was a transgender (female -> male) and super sjw. made us write a lot of essays on blm and feminism no joke. fucked me over, i should have taken it in summer school.

>CE
work your ass off and make the same
$ as a CS major

>>>>f*******
who are YOU quoting?

>Why the homophobia?
Why not?

daily reminder that turing's contributions to computer science are invalid because he was gay and gays are incapable of seeing the beauty in gods creation

If you want to learn to code do a physics or related degree. We do a lot of simulation coding with python that's good exposure.

this.

didn't say anything about being a jack of all trades.
you don't specialize in fucking undergrad

why haven't you killed yourself yet you retarded faggot nigger?

>why haven't you killed yourself yet you retarded faggot nigger?
cringe

damn this thread is awful. do compE if you want to know how computers work

Do CS and Math OP
Computers are gay
why the homophobia and racism?

>why the homophobia and racism?
It's a tradition.

CEs have ~15k higher starting salary on average, at least in Canada. still, not sure if it justifies the workload (30hrs class/week)