Which version of the bible should I read, Veeky Forums? I've heard most people recommend the King James version

Which version of the bible should I read, Veeky Forums? I've heard most people recommend the King James version.

Other urls found in this thread:

usccb.org/bible/
ehrmanblog.org/problems-with-other-translations-for-members/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

side step the entire argument between versions and just read an original example in the Greek it was written in

ESV

>King James version.
yea
if you a PRODDY FUCK and therefore not Christian

NEV

NASB has the most readability while retaining its accuracy.

Depends what you're reading for. KJV for pleasure, but for beginners NIV or NRSV.

>Not reading multiple versions

>not using a study bible with six versions side by side, explaining the context and all of the possible different interpretations

NIV

Deus Vult

>original
>greek

>all of the possible different interpretations

it's the only one that matters

NRSV
Approved by RC, PC, OC.
Bestest version.

Orthodox study bible, ignore any who tell you KJV they are protestant and should be disregarded as trolls.

NABRE
usccb.org/bible/

>not translating and producing your own

reminder that the apostles were more like Pentecostals than catholics.

Good thing the 2011 version of the NIV fixes those issues.

Koine Greek is still Greek.

certainly that's what a protestant would want to purport

>2017
>Believing in a magical skydaddy

Underrated

>2017
>not understanding that the bible is the crux of all artistic creation in the common era

>2017
>being an uncultured mook

First link:
>the bulk of this list concerns the 2011 NIV

Second link:
>Reviewed by Michael Marlowe, October 2011

These.

Listen to me OP, get the Oxford Annotated Bible with the apocrypha and read that first to actually get an understanding of what you're reading. Then read the KJV for all the pretty prose

You literally cannot read Western Literature without knowledge of the Bible, it's arguably more important than The Greeks

NASB or ESV

get the one with the powdered cheese instead of salt

The leading textual critics including Bart Ehrman and Daniel Wallace have both said 2011 NIV is the closest to the "original".

Douay-Rheims.

Ehrman did not say that, he's said the NRSV is his preferred translation

ehrmanblog.org/problems-with-other-translations-for-members/

why do you think different denominations exist? people disagree on some fundamental (and a ton of less fundamental) things

Vulgate

My brother is studying to become a pastor and he recommends the New King James version. I went from KJV to Common English then NKJV and I believe NKJV has all the prose of KJV but easier to digest and understand.

Just read the KJV. That's the one people will be referencing. It's the one which contains the idioms you will see in literature. For your own spiritual development, you should work through an interlinear version of the New Testament.

King Joffrey version

this

>arguably

JPS translation for literary superiority.

NKJV is kind of pointless in my opinion. It uses the same sources as the KJV when much better manuscripts are available for modern translators. If you want literary style, read KJV, if you want more readability any other modern translation is fine and will use earlier source texts.

>Not reading spanish bible from a gas station
I can't believ this board is so dumb

>Not reading the Hawaii Pidgin version