youtube.com/watch?v=uexZbunD7Jg
gutenberg.org/ebooks/55387
madmikehughes.com/images/rocket.png
youtu.be/r0phCrgRwBM
youtube.com/watch?v=3feaiPcv6yE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

did he died?

>intends to launch himself 1,800 feet (549 metres) high
That's pretty low, given the amount of work he's gone to. Why wouldn't you just use a light aircraft?

>the 61-year-old limousine driver

You're asking a flat-earther to use logic here m8

You think a guy with a self proclaimed "verry high IQ," building a steam powered rocket to "prove" the world is flat is going to be able to think about things like that?

What's always confused me is that you can prove the earth is round (or at least curved) by measuring the angles of big enough triangles on the surface.

>Why wouldn't you just use a light aircraft?
Would it be as cool?

This is utter bollocks, there's no way his rocket will be successful, could you imagine the amount of water pressure necessary to launch a steam rocket high enough to see the Earth's curvature?

It says he assembled this rocket from found components and scrap metal, so its pressure vessel is probably shitty American steel he found lying around and welded together...
Without a high-quality, strong riveted pressure vessel it would be impossible to contain the steam pressure necessary for the rocket to reach such height, it will either explode on the ground or right after lifting a little so keep your eyes peeled for this man's certain demise

He is just using the flat Earth meme to fund the Kickstarter of his Intructable tier rocket. He tried before without the flat Earth and got 120$, now he is in the thousands.

Simple. If the angles add up to a different value than 180° the "lines" of the triangule are curved

>500m
whats the point , regular planes go higher .
besides you dont need to go high to prove the earth is round you can just drive some distance with a gyroscope . or just build a foucault pendulum

I honestly think the flat earth part is just a way to get more attention/funding. I bet he's just interested in steam powered things and wants to experiment with them.

Which is exactly what the students of Pythagoras did when they proved it was round 2400 years ago. Flat earthers are literally denying Iron Age mathematics.

The worst part is, when this rocket inevitably explodes on the launch pad and kills him, the flat Earthers will be all like “The Illuminati sabatoged his rocket to kill him because he was getting too close to the truth!!1!1!1!”.

/thread

Lol

I mean I can already see it's flat from planes and balloons but if he wants to do it himself he can. Sounds like a false flag/psyop to me.

Paranoid logic would dictate that he'd blame any failure on ((them)) for stopping the ((truth)) from coming out.

Odds of failure are high.

so when is it actually happening? seems like every article leaves that out

whenever flat earthers try and spout their shit i just post this.

youtube.com/watch?v=uexZbunD7Jg

it always gets zero replies. i wonder why?

WTF

>a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet (549 metres) high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal
Literally the first paragraph

Why cant he just hire light aircraft and go for a flight? Or is general aviatiom a conspirary too?

Or he could just go to the top of the talkest building in Dubai. He already spent $20,000 on a launch pad. An intercontinental trip would be a drop in the cost bucket and the top of the Burj Kahlifa is about 400 feet higher than his extremely generous estimate.

tallest*

Well, it would certainly be less retarded.

Darwin Award candidate.

You know the meme "Think of it as evolution in action"?
The average IQ of the human race will go up some tiny fraction of a point.

Won't help. Same crackpots were around in 1885.
gutenberg.org/ebooks/55387
Only difference then was they ascended by balloon.

>Only difference then was they ascended by balloon.
That's far more safe and reasonable than a home-made steam rocket.

Thing is that nobody would ever write and read article about man in ballon (airplane, tallest building etc) proving that earth is flat.

And i agree stratospheric ballon would be best option for him.

because flat-tards are stupid

someone put hours into making this.
Number of FE's convinced of Globe Earth by this video: 0

The moon isn't reflecting the sunlight, it illuminates itself. The moon's "shadow" wouldn't remain stationary like it does if it was being cast by a moving sun and earth (and the moon is moving too).

>because flat-tards are stupid
They are not stupid: They are fucking unbelievable retarded.

Ad hominem isn't an argument.

Now this image right here is something that many Flat Earthers repeat like it's some Hindu mantra and it's a good question. How can something seem to stay still while you're also moving? Lets break it down.

Alright so lets start we the bottom part.
>while shooting through the Universe at 670,000,000 mph"
Our Galaxy and the stars within it are moving as a single unit so that won't have an effect on the apparent position of the stars. Imagine sitting in a car with your friends and you're driving down the highway at 55 mph. Your friend Steve will always be at arms reach to you even if you drive 550 mph. You're all moving together so we can scratch that part of the image.

The diameter of Earths orbit around the Sun is around 190,000,000 miles. Huge number, right? Well the distance to Polaris is 2,500,000,000,000,000 miles which is 13000000 times greater so our orbit around the Sun won't have an effect on the apparent position of Polaris to our naked eyes.

Now to the last part.
>"Spiraling around the outer-arms of the Milky Way at 500,000 mph"
Lets fast forward a 100 years into the future. Our Sun together with the Solar System will have traveled 430,000,000,000 miles if we are traveling at that speed. Again, huge number right? But if we compare that distance to that of Polaris we can see that it's only 1/5800 of that distance. It's nothing.

Imagine a big mountain that's 5800 miles away and then you move 1 mile to the side. Do you honestly believe that the mountain will seem to move? The mountain will only move 0.005° in your field of view which is fuck all. You are like a microbe who thinks that 20 feet is a big number when you live in a galaxy that's as big as New York City.

Many assumptions, no actual evidence. What's more likely, the galaxy is travelling at such a perfect speed that polaris stays in the same place every night, or the stars are rotating around us? Occam's razor, anyone?

As we rotate on our axis as well as orbit the sun, the north star should not stay in the same place every night because we are always going to face a different part of the universe, while the other half is blocked by earth itself.

>Many assumptions
The point of the post was to address what's being said in that image. The image implies that Polaris wouldn't stay fixed if we were traveling those distances and I clearly showed that it would.

>As we rotate on our axis as well as orbit the sun, the north star should not stay in the same place every night because we are always going to face a different part of the universe

But Earth's axis is always (on a small timescale) pointed towards Polaris as we travel around the Sun. We wouldn't have solistices otherwise.

>I clearly showed that it would.

Are you sure? I saw no scientific proof.

>But Earth's axis is always (on a small timescale) pointed towards Polaris as we travel around the Sun. We wouldn't have solistices otherwise.

Isn't the sun rotating around the galaxy too? It just gets more and more ridiculous. Also, you can't use a flat 2D image as evidence for a 3D globe, you are providing evidence of a flat earth when you do that.

Because Flat Earthers will go leaps and bounds to denying that they could possibly be wrong by deflecting and saying anyone else is saying this because they don't want to be wrong. Seeing as they won't just put a telescope on a relatively tall mountain to try and look at Japan or China on the west coast or Europe on the east coast in the U.S. or vice versa in those respective regions.

That said, I'm glad one flat earther is finally putting money where their collective mouth is and is going to die by either crash landing or mid-air explosion.

I can see the excuses now if the rocket blows up in mid-air though
>B-BUT THE GUBERMENT JETS AND MISSILES SHOT HIM DOWN
>HE HIT THE ROOF
>THIS PROVES THEY ARE HIDING SOMETHING

If you look at the picture on his site madmikehughes.com/images/rocket.png you can see some wings jutting out before the cropping.

>Are you sure? I saw no scientific proof.
All the numbers are in the post and it's the same numbers that are used in the image.

>Isn't the sun rotating around the galaxy too?
It is and I showed that it would have a tiny effect on Polaris apparent position.

Alright, I'll show everything again.
First off the diameter of Earths orbit around the sun is more than miniscule to the distance to Polaris. Miniscule is an overstatement. It would be like including micro meters when are you dealing with kilo meters so we can simply throw out the Earths orbit around the Sun since it will have no effect at all on the calculation. You can include it afterwards if you feel like it.

So here's what we're dealing with.
Polaris distance: 2500000000000000 miles
The distance the Sun travels in 100 years as it orbits the galaxy.
438000000000 miles
365(days in a year)*24(hours in a day)*100(years)*500000(speed of the Sun) = 438000000000 miles

Now we can calculate the parallax angle of Polaris, in other words the angle it will seem to move in your field of view and we can use basic trigonometry to calculate this.

arctan(Sun travel distance/Polaris distance)/2
arctan(4,38*10^11/(2,5*10^15))/2 = 0.005°

0.005° wow, what a big number.
Also I didn't take Polaris orbital speed around the galaxy into account so our number here is 5 times greater than it would actually be. 5 times and it's still nothing!

this video assumes that the sun/moon aren't flat as well

>All the numbers are in the post and it's the same numbers that are used in the image.

I could say the north star was 50 miles away and it would have as much weight as your post.

>First off the diameter of Earths orbit around the sun is more than miniscule to the distance to Polaris.

This assumes the earth orbits the sun, you haven't proven this either.

>Polaris distance: 2500000000000000 miles
>The distance the Sun travels in 100 years as it orbits the galaxy.
>438000000000 miles
>365(days in a year)*24(hours in a day)*100(years)*500000(speed of the Sun) = 438000000000 miles

Again, this assumes these axioms are true in the first place. These individual statements need to be proved scientifically, not mathematically.

the worse of all this,
>too prove,

this mean even if he see that the earth is a sphere, he will alway argue that it not true, after all is goal is not to find the truth, his goal is to prove the earth is flat.
flat-tard stay flat-tard

>This assumes the earth orbits the sun, you haven't proven this either.
Because that's not nessisary.
This person was specifically arguing against the claim in the image: that those numbers would lead to significant apparent motion of Polaris. Whether those numbers are correct is irrelevant.
Seriously, learn how logic works.

This whole launch thing has nothing to do with flat Earth, other than to get a sponsorship.

He's a daredevil, charlatan, con-artist, and Ralph Kramden all rolled into one. He's looking for fame and fortune, and this is an attention-acquisition stunt. That's all. End of story. The launch is Pay-per-view, I'm sure recordings will become available at a cost, he'll have speaking interviews, he'll say outrageous stuff to continue the shock, and media is there to give free publicity to those who have no conscience.

Go, Mike! It's 'Murican.

This

That part is actually true. Modern aviation legally mandates you become a Freemason to get your pilots license. So if he gets a light aircraft, he becomes one of ((them)).

>He's a daredevil, charlatan, con-artist, and Ralph Kramden all rolled into one. He's looking for fame and fortune, and this is an attention-acquisition stunt.
Well, good for him. Honestly if you will wisk your life launching yourself in a rocket for attention, then you deserve the attention, you earned it!

/x/ has really shit up this board.

>because flat-tards are stupid
"flatearthers" are trolls, because too many people who care are autistic as fuck and cannot tell the difference between honest lunatics and simple pranksters. the whole exercise is painful to watch.

>/x/ has really shit up this board.
I wouldn't attribute anything in this thread to /x/.

I thought that too but the evidence is overwhelming.

Yeah - you didn't finish my quote.

>madmikehughes.com/images/rocket.png
>A freakin 12 mb .png file

>or just build a foucault pendulum
Pls explain?
Is it the drift because of Coriolis force?
Couldn't that be there on a rotating flat earth?

The guy doesn't even care about the "flat earth" bullshit, he just wants to build and use his own rocket to do cool shit
He first asked for donations but got nothing, then got lots after he proclaimed that he is a flat earther

>applying Occam's razor to opinions, without considering the bigger picture
Are you bored?

/thread

Get ready for the moved goalpost reply. Can't imagine what deluded bs they'll come up with but I'm already excited for it

>All the numbers are in the post and it's the same numbers that are used in the image.

Numbers and images are not scientific proof, anyone can do that.

>It is and I showed that it would have a tiny effect on Polaris apparent position.

How have you done that without any scientific proof?

>Alright, I'll show everything again.
>First off the diameter of Earths orbit around the sun is more than miniscule to the distance to Polaris. Miniscule is an overstatement. It would be like including micro meters when are you dealing with kilo meters so we can simply throw out the Earths orbit around the Sun since it will have no effect at all on the calculation. You can include it afterwards if you feel like it.

What does distance have to do with anything in a 3D universe? If I'm in Texas directly facing Canada, and then I rotate 180 degrees, I will face South America no matter the distance. Same with the stars. If the earth is spinning then what we are seeing should also change drastically depending on the direction we are facing.

>So here's what we're dealing with.
>Polaris distance: 2500000000000000 miles
>The distance the Sun travels in 100 years as it orbits the galaxy.
>438000000000 miles
>365(days in a year)*24(hours in a day)*100(years)*500000(speed of the Sun) = 438000000000 miles

>arctan(Sun travel distance/Polaris distance)/2
>arctan(4,38*10^11/(2,5*10^15))/2 = 0.005°

>0.005° wow, what a big number.
>Also I didn't take Polaris orbital speed around the galaxy into account so our number here is 5 times greater than it would actually be. 5 times and it's still nothing!

More numbers. You can't just say that's what we're dealing with without real evidence. Mathematics does not dictate what reality is, only the possibilities, you need actual empirical evidence.

youtu.be/r0phCrgRwBM

Heres his testfire

Fucking madman

youtube.com/watch?v=3feaiPcv6yE

The "center" of the universe is everywhere and nowhere at the same time. This means that the Earth is the center of the universe, and also not. To those who stand on the Earth, the center of the universe, it appears flat. To those floating several hundred kilometers above Earth, it appears speherical, and if far enough, small. This is because when you witness the Earth at a distance, you are the center of the universe and the Earth is the center of the universe.

It is impossible to prove the absolute shape of the Earth because it doesn't exist. It is simply a matter of perspective.

>Coriolis force
>force
you for real senpai

wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to measire angles on the surface like
said with a really good gyroscope (one of the fancy new optical\electric ones
or just look at the sky in different places on earth at night.
or just look at the sun realize theres seasons and earth has equinoxes\solstices.
or the method the brainlet person could come up with , just fucking go to the 'edge' and see there is none , just fucking take a picture with your iphone and there's your proof .

>Many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view
t. Obi Wan Kenobi

Wtf lol