See expanding mind meme

>See expanding mind meme
>Physics related
>Bottom one is "Engineers whomdsv't set g = 10 m/s^2

N-no one really does this right?

Rounding it up to 10 would simplify the math and add in a little bit more safety factor. It's still within 98% of the actual value.

>add in a little bit more safety factor
>burn on re-entry
lol

A 2% rounding error is grossly unacceptable in aerospace. In civil engineering, I doubt anyone's going to care.

g/g = 1.00 +- 2%

They care because small errors are cumulative and reflect on everything else.

>They care because small errors are cumulative and reflect on everything else.

If it's for a skyscraper, sure. If it's the structural calculations for a small bridge or timber framed house plan 3 out of 15 for a subdivision, on the other hand...

I'm at uni right now learning to be an electrical engineer and I saw people rounding e and pi to 3 and using g=pi^2.
I was absolutely horrified

>computing the transcendental jew

>Electrical engineering
Good work user, you've got a good career ahead.

What do you mean by that?

I mean that you chose a good field, it's not a meme degree and will get you a job.

I know it will, I just thought you were being sarcastic for some reason. However I have no idea what the other user means

no you didn't. stop this meme

Whatever you build your building has to go through a committee exam. So no, it doesn't matter what you build, if it's inexact you don't get a usability permit.

My Physics 2 class had a no calculators policy.
To make the tests doable, she set g=10m/s

Really nothing wrong with this in an academic setting. The point is to teach you conceptually how to think about physics. e.g. proofs, etc. Not to obsess over the exact value of g to 8 decimal points.

kek
best post

You're in engineering and you haven't learned the fundamental theorem of engineering? Your colleagues are ahead of you desu.
e=pi=3

[math]\frac{g}{g} = 1.00[/math]
[math]g = 1[/math]
[math]\pi = \sqrt{g}[/math]
[math]\pi = 1[/math]

>N-no one really does this right?
Of course not. I always use at least 10 decimals in my calculations

If you're going to disallow the use of calculators, why even give numerical questions? Why not just solve the problems in terms of variables

If you are not actually calculating anything, just set it to g abd leave it as a general formula. You should have learned how to carry digits in fucking primary school.

g shouldvebeen 10

>it's another "Veeky Forums argues over how accurate things need to be with no information as to what context we're working in, and certainly with no numerical analysis of how accurate our instruments are / significant figures checking"

I fucking hate you people

because americans can't handle too many letters at once.

Just look at their president, he can barely take on 140 characters.

Of course not, Engineers would set [math]g = 32 {\rm ft} / {\rm s}^2[/math]

>10 decimals
pleb, I use all decimals in my calculations

dae hate drumpf????