Hello guys, Veeky Forums and /pol/ have been blowing up about this new onion thing...

Hello guys, Veeky Forums and /pol/ have been blowing up about this new onion thing, claiming that onions boost testosterone 300% in mice (with studies backing this up), and also believing it may be the same for humans. Some have also claimed it can cure baldness.

The media has taken attention of this and spawned numerous articles:
metro.co.uk/2017/11/21/people-are-drinking-raw-onion-juice-to-become-testosterone-pumped-sex-warlords-7096797/
indy100.com/article/Veeky Forums-onions-pol-testosterone-juice-drinking-soy-boys-right-wing-politics-will-sommer-8066821
thepoke.co.uk/2017/11/21/someone-trolled-Veeky Forums-drinking-onion-juice-manly/
lifehacker.com.au/2017/11/drinking-raw-onion-juice-is-a-bad-idea-no-matter-what-people-say-on-Veeky Forums/
nymag.com/selectall/2017/11/4channers-are-eating-onions-to-be-more-manly.html

Can anyone confirm these theories? Can anyone explain what would be the cause behind the rise in testosterone?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19384830
sid.ir/En/Journal/ViewPaper.aspx?FID=50003620140308
journals.viamedica.pl/folia_morphologica/article/view/15945
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3493836/
youtube.com/watch?v=FHl0nIdbiLA
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0028393206004155
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17166527
gnxp.com/blog/2007/04/intercourse-and-intelligence.php
ehbonline.org/article/S1090-5138(03)00064-3/fulltext
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

was gonna make a thread on this too, bump

hope this isn't true since onions are the only vegetable I just can't eat, at least not raw. shit makes me nauseous

damn time to stop eating onions can't lose my trap gains

>reporting on shit Veeky Forums says

Boy, sure sounds like nothing to me, right guys? haha guys?

>modern (((journalism)))
>drink more soy though :^)

list the studies or fuck off with your articles.

not sure if this is relevant but:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19384830

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19384830
interesting, would have to look at how much they actually gave them in comparison. 1g per rat per day might be an extreme unarchivable goal.
n=10 per group.
was done with 0.5g / rat and 1g/rat

well, a biologyst should have a look at that.

> ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19384830
Not irrelevant, but also attributes effects to antioxidants, benefit is not specific to onions.

Iranian study investigates effect of onion extract on mouse testosterone levels. Shows beneficial effect but unable to determine mechansim, correlates with but does not prove that it's just the antioxident capability.

Onion extract can reverse the effects of AlCl3 induced reproductive dysfunction in rats. However, the mechanism of damage by Al is oxidative and onion extract is absolutely helping as a concentrated antioxidant supplement.

journals.viamedica.pl/folia_morphologica/article/view/15945
Onion extract was proven to be capable of increasing sperm motility, viability, and concentration as well as increasing serum total testosterone. However, the treatment dose was 5 g/kg onion juice (not extract).

tl;dr Veeky Forums discovers antioxidants are good for test
> antioxidants are already good for fucking everything

> ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3493836/
Onion extract can reverse the effects of AlCl3 induced reproductive dysfunction in rats. However, the mechanism of damage by Al is oxidative and onion extract is absolutely helping as a concentrated antioxidant supplement.

Fixed

?! YOU LIARS , I TALKED ABOUT ONION " MUSHROOMS " THE OTHER NIGHT , YOU FUCKING LIARS , SCIENCE NEVER SAVED ANYONE YOU SLUGS CONSIDERING YOURSELVES HUMAN , READ THE HEART OF " DARKNESS " TRULY THE SPIRIT OF THE CONGO DARK , AND REMEMBER THE LIONS IN THE AFRICAN PLAINS ARE ON ' REST-MODE ' THEY ARE EVEN WORSE , WHEN THE SCIENTISTS IN THE CONGO FLIP THE SWITCHES , THE CONGO IS THE SCIENTIST ATHEIST LAND , THEY ARE STUCK IN THEIR OWN DESTRUCTION , GROWING DRUG ROCKS TO EAT , CRACKS OF THE GLOBES SPICES , LIKE ANIMALS , NEVER A HUMAN , FORGOT THEIR ONLY FRIEND , THE DIVINE INFINITE UNITY , THE DIFINITY , THE DELTA-DIFINITY , Θε Δελτα-Διφινιτυ , GROW UP YOU ATHEIST LIARS EVERYONE IS ROYALTY WITH AN AREA OF THEIR OWN YOU IMPATIENT BABIES DEHUMANIZING OTHERS FOR YOUR OWN LIES !!

high testosterone IS NOT a desirable thing

> n = 30
> p < 0.05
hmmm I wonder what this means.............
i really wonder....

unless you're female, why would it not be desirable?

overall risk of death radically increases
risk of basically all diseases increases, including cancer and heart disease
high risk of balding
and the 'high testosterone = alpha male' thing is a myth, it's way more complicated than just increasing testosterone
actually most of bodybuilders and athletes have average or below average testosterone, read it up

state your sources

Even if user gave sources, I probably wouldn't trust them because I would bet that risk of death is calculated using some abstracted, non-rigid metric by including risk of death due to high-risk behaviour, which they always fucking do.

Just like those infographics that cite alcohol as being more lethal than heroin just because of things like drunk driving statistics. Does that make it more lethal? In an abstracted (read: retarded) kind of way. It shouldn't imply I'm safer shooting up heroin in my own house than I am having a beer.

youtube.com/watch?v=FHl0nIdbiLA

Too bad I'm not a rodent.

>wanting your testosterone to be high
top fucking kek
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0028393206004155
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17166527
do you know who else has high testosterone?
blacks
do you know who else has highest crime & lowest intelligence?
also blacks

Do you know who has a lot of sex?
Blacks
Do you know what's important to keep a race of people propagating?
Sex

>race
No such thing.

Meanwhile the actual list of health problems caused by low testosterone is 3 times as big.

>wanting to have sex
get out normie

None of your sources even mentions blacks and the last one portrays high IQ people as sexless virgins/ prostitute enablers.

Also high testosterone in blacks could be attributed to lower obesity (female obesity in blacks skews the average) and average median age being much younger in comparison due to lower average life span.

>he last one portrays high IQ people as sexless virgins/ prostitute enablers
it doesn't portray anything brainlet, it just says people with high IQ are less likely to have sex
so?

Weak bait

abstract says 4 g/kg onion juice which seems like an achievable goal.

small ample size doesn't matter if the effect size is big enough. also in an experiment like this, the choice of rat line matters FAR more than the number of rats

It literally states it in the source you retard.

>Another idea, consistent with popular media portrayals of geeks and nerds (males at least), is that intelligent people actually want to have sex, but are simply less likely or unable to obtain willing partners because they are disproportionately viewed as unattractive or undesirable as partners.

>Half Sigma also showed that the smartest men in the GSS (approx. IQ >120) were also more likely to visit a prostitute. (Hardly indicative of cautiousness) This may suggest intelligent men are less able to find willing sex partners. Are smart men less attractive to women? Perhaps in some ways. For instance HS found that smart men were less likely to be athletic, and this paper shows, unathletic men and women have fewer sex partners. Athletic men, with more willing sexual partners are also less likely to visit a prostitute. Athletic activity gives men more masculine bodies, which are more attractive to women

4channers are'nt nearly smart enough to be on this level, though. No matter how much you virgins losers pretend, you're the way you are because you made yourselves like it (fat, virgins, 0 social skills), not because you're smart.

>popular media portrayals
>therefore this paper portrayals
and you dare calling me retard?

What does any of that have to do with the fact that I had to correct you concerning the content of the link above?

Not the same guy you were talking to, fat faggot.

Based on your post it seems you're trying to get across that you're a fat virgin loser with 0 social skill, lacking intelligence and that you assume that goes for all of us.

This study was cited in the link making those assertions user.

ehbonline.org/article/S1090-5138(03)00064-3/fulltext

>actually most of bodybuilders and athletes have average or below average testosterone
probably because they've got lower natural testosterone production due to steroid use and they're usually being tested while off their cycle

>Hello guys, Veeky Forums and /pol/ have been blowing up about this new onion thing
I don't believe you. this knowledge of onions is old as fuck on Veeky Forums

>onions boost testosterone 300% in mice
Great. So now you're high test AND stink like fucking onions.

Depends on the kind of onion. A lot are really nasty and just have that funky sweaty feet smell, but I could eat a vidalia onion like a fucking apple.
t. North Georgian

I haven't seen projection this blatant in a while.

I eat 1 or more onions every week and I don't see myself being so //Veeky Forums// and ripped.

Maybe you ought to go to the gym after working out at the library.

Is there a way to ingest onion juice without increasing test?

I love onions

>your brain on pop-sci

Boil it, it kills the enzymes.

>tfw actually ate 1-2 onions a day in high school
>tfw had a hairless, feminine body until my senior year
>tfw onion breath was the reason i couldn't get laid (3 women directly told me this)
>tfw onions are now an """alpha male""" meme

Why did you eat so many onions?

for all idiots who's suffering from onion juice, make a french onion soup, its even tasty.

This is known as a shill post.

People don't eat raw onions for no reason.

A shill post from the onion lobby? What the fuck

(((they))) don't want us to have high test, why else would there be so many anti-onion shills. If it wasn't a threat to (((their))) agenda, they wouldn't work full force into fudding us

also, by "fudding" I meant "fud" which is an acronym for "fear, uncertainty and doubt".

congrats on the shittiest troll I have read all week

Doubt that it works. The "article" referenced in the picture states that it may decrease free radicals which leads to increased testosterone production. Even if you tried to consume large amounts of onion juice your body would just piss it out.

Not too familiar with the testosterone production pathway, but unless you're able to overstimulate the GPCRs you probably won't see an increase. The article is too vague about the mechanism of action. It doesn't even reference the science article it is basing its claims on. Then its an experiments on rodents, which may not be relevant for humans.

I like most vegetables, and onions go great in a stir-fry or soup. Sometimes I'd do homemade onion rings, too.

They weren't raw (usually). Sometime's I'd just cut one into cross-sections and dip them in a mix of salad dressing and crumbled-up croutons, but that was when I was feeling lazy.

Point is, onions don't magically make you a big boy. You gotta wait for puberty to run its course.

>Eat onions and become alpha male
>Smell like onions and get no pussy

This world is a cruel joke.

Would still work in India

t. soyboy

Oh well. At least it's a meme encouraging people to eat a healthy food for once, unlike the "sips" bullshit, and all of the people on Veeky Forums who roid.

>measure test in blood
>eat onions for a month
>measure it again

seems like something doable to humor an 8 year old study with no follow-up, someone on Veeky Forums should give it a go

onion breath probably smells like the top of mt. fucking everest compared to some of the olfactory horrors one could encounter in india

People are already doing it.

First time I've seen sci, fit, pol and biz in one post.

3/8. 2 points awarded to Gryffindor for novel idea and 1 point for making me reply. Now kill yourself.

>boost testosterone
Not a good thing if you're at healthy levels. Also, excessive testosterone will make you bald, lol.

Only retards fall for the low test meme.

>people don't believe me
>they must be controlled by da joos