If I've already seen the movie, is the book worth a read?

If I've already seen the movie, is the book worth a read?

The best order to understand the comedy is movie then book then movie then book again.
Seems stupid to say this but you get solo much more out of the movie after the book and watching the movie first makes sure you dont miss that its supposed to be an absurd joke not grimdark

OK, thanks! This will be the next book I read then

It's really good but for the record you CAN skip the part about Genesis and the part about Whitney Houston, there's nothing in them that you'll miss.
You'll know what I mean when you get up to it

Horrible book. Decent movie.

waste of a time to read to book when the movie's out there. for the reason that it gets the same message across

>skipping parts
people really do this?

>tfw skipped the grand inquisitor part

>Reading books all the way through in 2017

Don't blame you lad, was so boring

Just him and the guy talking for pages and pages! Dosto really is shit

yes

I read it after watching the movie, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

At first I was annoyed with the book for its length and thought it should have been a novella or just half of what it is, but reading everything takes you deep into the mind of a troubled human being very well. It's a little self indulgent but it uses its flaws to complement its strengths and the pay off is worth it. There are some very disturbing passages that could have never been filmed and shown in theatres.

Why don't you read it and find out?

Okay you fucking triggered me, REEE

this. I can't live with myself if I skip some part of a book. what if it has some great shit in the part I skipped? how can I live with that doubt?

Honestly? The movie is better.
The book is funny but 200 pages too long.

The book is one of the greatest literary works of the 90s.

Yes, the book makes more sense if you watch the movie first imo, you get to see step by step - dinner after dinner what essentially drives bateman to his insanity. The movie of course leaves out a lot of important key moments in the story that builds up to the bigger picture. It just makes so much more sense. I can't even watch the movie anymore because it pisses me off since it just makes bateman look like a sociopath for no discernable reason.

Second and third that, user

>The movie of course leaves out a lot of important key moments in the story that builds up to the bigger picture
Very dumb people always need this shit. It's why they're so many "the book is better" morons.

I don't understand this reply.

дa oчeнь дaжe cтoит

This cover is somehow really aesthetic.

People actually skip a single book in an entire Dostoevsky novel? What's the point?

this

The book is in Veeky Forums's top 20 books

no the movie is better

i have the same question but for a clockwork orange.

The descriptions in the book get tedious in my opinion, I can appreciate the detail for a while but I don't want to read about the god damn brandname, price, details of a god damn suit every chapter.

it depends on how pretentious u are

If you enjoyed the movie, then read the book. It's more of the same (with a lot of content that didn't make it into the movie). If you simply thought the movie was OK, I'd say skip the book. The fact that you even made this thread in the first place makes me think you should just read it, though.

Side note: You will find lots of BEE haters on this board. That's because the official meme mascot of Veeky Forums himself (DFW) has made some negative comments about him. Ellis isn't my favorite writer or anything, but he's entertaining and very funny. The dialogue from the film is more or less lifted verbatim from the book, so use that as a benchmark. In fact, American Psycho is actually one of the few film adaptations that succeeds in perfectly capturing the mood and tone of the book.

why would you skip whitney houston? Would you fast forward through the whitney houston monologue in the film?

That was my intention, BK is my favourite book user

Veeky Forums, how did this book affect you?

It made me want to study finance to make lots of money, but I realise that's a stupid decision and I'm looking for something make me fulfilled.

Good. The whole book is a criticism of yuppie culture. This book encouraging you to study finances is like Crime and Punishment encouraging you to become an atheist.

it is and its the copy i have. love it :)

The book isn't about finance, it's about conformity and the neurotic, ultimately empty pursuit of coolness. Compare the time spent discussing finance (none) with the time spent discussing fashion, restaurants, and music (the entire novel).

Anybody whose spent time on /mu/, or to a lesser extent Veeky Forums, can understand this feeling. You spent time searching for the most obscure, difficult album or book and then present it to the board at large, desperate for any validation. You castigate posters for their preferences, trying to signal your hipness to the group. This is the attitude the novel satirizes, not something as concrete and localized a problem as Wall Street.

what a strangely appropriate post number

>The best order to understand the comedy is movie then book then movie then book again.

it's hardly so important a novel.

I got a different feeling-sense from ACO the book than I did from ACO the movie. Hard to put my finger on what exactly. I suppose the movie is more cynical. Even without the damp-squib last chapter of the book, the book leaves you with a more genuine revulsion of violence and of hypocrisy.

American Psycho is my candidate for the great american novel.

Christian Bale did such an excellent job in the film, the axe scene was incredible

Nigger killers

if you skip parts of a book you cant say you havent really fully read it

He can say he edited and read an abridged version.

That feel when bee is a one hit wonder who will only be known for american psycho and is a gay conservative and DFW will be remembered as the great author of generation X and bee keeps milking the american psycho cow, but is so stupid he hasn't gone to a tv studio to propose the idea of american psycho: the college years

>he hasn't gone to a tv studio to propose the idea of american psycho: the college years
Yeah, what an idiot! He could have a book following Bateman's brother through university and his adventures there, maybe make it into a critically acclaimed film starring James Van Der Beek, Ian Somerhalder and Shannyn Sossamon. But he hasn't. If only he were as intelligent and well-informed as you, user.