Why people become manchildren? Why do they y read genre fiction like fantasy and sci-fi?

Why people become manchildren? Why do they y read genre fiction like fantasy and sci-fi?
How do modern philosophy and sociology explain it?

Other urls found in this thread:

nietzsche.holtof.com/reader/friedrich-nietzsche/the-gay-science/aphorism-3-quote_a62156e6f.html
youtube.com/watch?v=rcx-nf3kH_M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Define manchild

People dont see the point of being mature, active parts of society anymore. They'd rather live in a fantasy world, the kind in which they can deny they are responsible adults.

I think the better question is "how do people become so delusionally obsessed with arbitrary hierarchies of value that they feel justified in criticizing others' literary choices when they spend a bulk of their time posting funny pictures on a Hungarian cheese-making platform"

I find your relativism quite disturbing

having a wh40k tattoo

I'm not a relativist. I just think it's hypocritical for an user to be criticizing somebody else's taste when he chooses to spend his own free time so pathetically. He is being the relativist, he just doesn't know it

Culture is humanity's attempt to create working behavioural protocols to cope with the world.
The interplay between individuals, their physical and psychological characteristics, the cultural products (philosophy, literature, cinema, cooking recipes, the idea of family, architectural norms, etc.) they are immersed in and a myriad other factors ends up creating their idiosyncratic behaviours, which we then term culture in an endless loop.
Manchild-ism isn't necessarily better or worse than anything else, the question is if it's a working, efficient set of actions and ideas that one can adopt (even subconsciously) to live and work-with the world - and it seems to me that, in this precise juncture, this protocol is doing its "job".

Also this.

You know his facial expression really reminds me of Bloom.

Bloom, incidentally, loves Science Fiction and Fantasy.

>Hungarian

we're moving out of asia now i see

/sffg/ GTFO

I've seen Lithuanian, Moroccan, Peruvian, etc all used in the past

Reminder to report off-topic threads so mods can delete them and ban the OP.

>Why do they y read genre fiction like fantasy and sci-fi?

I mean what are we really talking about? It's the lack of transition from childlike fiction or "fantastical fiction" to fiction of the real world. It's people who don't transition from kings and kings to family sitcoms and football. Artistically and intellectually they're on the same level but one is just more detached from reality. It's not like most people are ever going around reading real literature or patrician shit all the time. It's one form of garbage to the other.

I think one of the causes of the delayed and eliminated transition to adulthood is the over-influence from maternal figures and maternal conception of the world. When children are very young they need to be kept close to the mother and protected from everything harmful from the outside world. Eventually they should undergo a transition to young adulthood around puberty and get out of this soft, cuddly, womblike social expectations to a more fatherly, masculine world of accepting the realities of life and dealing with problems instead of avoiding them. At least that was my experience with childhood. Manchildren are most had this sort of upbringing.

I think this is working at the individual level of mothers thinking they know more than the father even into late adolescence but also the pervasiveness of our social freedoms works in the same way. In today's social mores you really aren't allowed to criticize anyone for liking damn near anything. At least on the face of things you should be able to be into really terrible weird shit and not be subject to harsh criticism as long as you enjoy yourself and "aren't hurting anyone else". Of course this isn't actually how the world works and the world breaks its own rules.

People will judge you, those things you like are childish, plastering your house doctor who memorabilia is embarrassing, and so on. Manchildren don't realize this and continue doing childish, easy, fun things.

FUCK

Good answer
Why do not get fun from real literature?

who cares?

I care

estrogen in food, excess disposable income and the Americanisation of the world

Trips of truth.

nietzsche.holtof.com/reader/friedrich-nietzsche/the-gay-science/aphorism-3-quote_a62156e6f.html

Basically unexamined life, lack of ambition and self-awareness, inability of being arbitrary.

This guy is a good example of it: he's so devoid of any sort of value that anything that is not cheap mindless hedonism looks nonsense to him. He has basically forgot how to be a human being.

Not him, but all that guy did was call OP a hypocrite for calling others manchildren and simultaneously posting here. I know you love to shove Nietzsche into every argument but please read the posts first.

That poor kid

>tfw I know how it is to grow up with a beta male father

Almost fucked my entire life up.

Why can't shitty people be sterilized?

Some dude wrote evasion in the last post. Not many people replied to him but he hit it on the head imo, at least when looking at the direct cause and not the causes of the cause.

It's the path of least resistance and that's incredibly tempting.

Pic related

That guy said that there is no room for criticism unless you're already sorted out, even if the arguments for that criticism is lampant. I hate to resort to fallacies, but this is an ad hominem.
Also in the first part of the post he devalues virtue, on the basis that the guy who praised it may be a loser.
Also, that aphorism is exactly about what is being discussed here. I'm not pulling it out of my ass, it was actually instrumental to this discussion, you pretentious hack.

>Mother has dark hair
>Father has dark hair
>Child is blonde
What's going on here...

You said he is
>so devoid of any sort of value that anything that is not cheap mindless hedonism looks nonsense to him.

I wasn't defending his argument, I was attacking your use of unsubstantiated personal attack because he implied someone was a hypocrite.

A lot of children have blonde hair when they're young but it becomes increasingly brown/black due to staying inside all day.

I speak from experience, I used to have golden hair but now it is dark brown.

Sucks when your parents don't force you to go outside.

What I meant to say is no sunlight = hair turns dark

I am a bit drunk

how to kick away /sffg/ to Veeky Forums? Genre fiction should not be discussed in so patrician place as Veeky Forums.

Why do people pride themselves on telling everyone, or at least letting everyone know their obsession with Star Wars. I mean, there are other, arguably better films. Watching the same thing over and over has to be boring beyond belief

Why do people waste their lifes studying philosophy or literature if they could study something useful like mathematics or physics?

In the 90's and 00's there was a growing adulation of the nerdy intellectual who liked things like all that nerdy pop culture shit. They were often the underdog protagonist who defeated the sports loving jocks with their massive intellect.

Lots of kids raised on that media who didn't quite fit in decided to latch their identity around conforming to that stereotype as a means of identity and self-esteem.

It's abvious he let his wife fucka nother man/. It's the new thing these days haven't you heards about it? Iw as just stopping by the deli for to p[ick up a sandwhich for Sharon and myself and was I just talkingto Shmoegel about it. If you're white, over 5'8", or drive a car worth over $10,000, the best rthing to do is let your wife fuck another ma. why dont you do the mat heimrich? black hair plus black hair equals blonde? What a gas! at night he took hger to the unmarked gas station we all meet at, I myself brought a couple literal horses, and for hours she was gifted with unholy seed! Swine, reptiles, equines, flightless avians, thirty thousand red ants shoved up her pussy. we smoked crack coccaine and screamed at the moon all night. Anyway there's your answer.

Then again, why is Star Wars still revered today? It's grown so popular that now "jocks" swear by it and make pilgrimage to midnight screenings. Surely watching and reading up in the same universe/fiction gets absolutely boring

Lol guys I was just shitposting, no need to fight over me

People always read shitty books. Go to an old book store and buy some old books that aren't classics, it's all literally worse than modern YAshit. We only idealize the past as a time when books were good because we only remember the 0.1% of books published in the past that were actually worth reading. If anything, that ratio might even be a little higher today than it used to be.

Dude...dude

Tell me, how is it to grow up with a beta male father?

It sucks.

Your primary role model is a loser who is just passive-aggressive, has below-average social skills and in general is unambitious.

It just made me feel ashamed so often during my childhood.

Every other kid had an awesome dad with a cool job, who has a few skills outside of his job and who in general are well-spoken and educated.

And my cuck father has his shitty paperpusher job that a 16-year-old could do, absolutely zero hobbies and speaks like a timid /r9k/ cuck.

I had absolutely zero direction in life except a general "hurr get a job", and no help in regards to it, I could not cook, I never cleaned my room because my parents did not care if it was a shithouse, I had terrible social skills and the only thing that they cared about were my grades that were always decent.

Basically, if my grades were decent I could've been a diaper-wearing transsexual who fucks dogs and they would not care as long as I would get a job.

But thankfully I started reading about self-improvement and that kind of shite and met a lot of decent people, and I am currently unfucking my shit.

But if I ever have a kid I'll make damn sure that I won't make the same mistake as my lazy, apathetic parents.

sounds awful
I've been thinking a lot about having children (theoretically, I'm a fucking shutin) and I don't even know if it would be a good idea given my personality traits

Well, you have to change yourself, be the father that would've liked as a kid.

That is what I am going to do.

But if you don't manage to learn that, please don't have children, not even joking.

We don't need more socially retarded robots who excel in math and nothing else.

what the fuck is this a reference to?>It's the path of least resistance and that's incredibly tempting.
this
>tfw I know how it is to grow up with a beta male father
So my dad was a blue collar (went to soviet polytech) dude from eastern europe. old-timey alkie, easy to anger, but in general more of an old fashioned dad than an abusive alkie dad. My stepdad was about 10 years younger than him, had a masters, not exactly a beta but definitely kindof a manlet.
Now i don't know about you, but i think i'd rather have a beta dad who could have prepared me for being a good student than an alpha who gives me arbitrary outdated values which fail to improve my condition in the culture i grow up in.
if your dad is both a beta AND a dumbass then that's a different story.
I didn't realize this until i was in high school and it was pretty significant in stoping me from being a muh born in the wrong generation
but i have no idea what this has to do with the OP's question

No offense bud, don't have kids

youtube.com/watch?v=rcx-nf3kH_M

Contemporary culture in America revolves around performing interest in capitalist distractions, be they identity politics or nerdiness

Nah, other people can not have kids in my place if it is so bad
I don't know what father I would have liked as a kid. I like my dad, but he was a bit too prone to anger when I was younger.

But there are nerds all over the world not just America

So.... if you have a job, you are not a manchild. Boom. Anything else is just whining from a dried-out rostie or a christian pol-tard who thinks we need to breed white children because 1488.

Very, very bad answer.

sociology isn't interested in the tastes of people. you'd have to branch out to cultural studies for that kind of explanation.

I'm sorry user, but it really sounds like you're just getting worse.

Read actual literature, and speak to actual people.

Damn, I didn't realize that I wasn't talking to actual people, sorry.

Did you think I misspoke.

iktf except my dad has some hobbies and a half decent engineering job so it's not so bad I guess

>We don't need more socially retarded robots who excel in math and nothing else.

...But that's precisely what we need. You think brainlets like you are gonna be employable in the world of robots?

Being ugly and self-aware

So ugly people read fantasy or fantasy attracts ugly people?

>(((modern))) philosophy and sociology
This is why

bump

It's all circumstancial. They might choose whatever form of escapism they please. I learn sanskrit

the truth is that "jocks" have that obsessive autistic drive too, they just have more acceptable outlets like madden and fantasy sports.

Why? What's your concern?

Why do atheists celebrate Christmas? It's about excuses to connect with others in an easy, shallow way.

The robots do the math and guide us into space, the people do drugs, counsel and fuck each other along the way.

don't let reddit hype you up, you're gonna be pretty disappointed in twenty years

I'm already disappointed, user. But I sure as shit ain't scared of no robots taking jobs. They can fucking have them.

What's wrong with sci-fi, especially when it's made by writers like Dick and Lem?

Agreed user... Sci-fi is deep...

Go to sleep Elliot Rodger

I'm not talking about shitty shows for numales like Star Wars, for God's sake

What's diffrence? Genre fiction is genre fiction.

Are you allergic to space ships or something?

So for you Moby Dick it's at the same level of Pirates of Caribbean because they're both of the same genre?

There is no "genre" in high literature. If you say word "genre" on Veeky Forums you shoud probably leave this place and go to Veeky Forums.
Space ships (how they described in sci-fi) don't exist. Why should I care?

All works of fiction are fakery and don't represent reality. Why do you care about them?

>All works of fiction are fakery and don't represent reality
It's completely wrong, ned. Naturally, the author will invent a story. But the characters, their actions, interaction with each other, their speech is a reflection of the reality in which the author lives.

Sci fi isn't all spaceships lasers and adventures like Shitty Wars, there is much more...Maybe you should read more about it, you ignorant

All fiction is some form of reflection in which the author lives. I would be very impressed with the author that managed to pull a book from unreality.

"Star Trek isn't all spaceships lasers and adventures like Shitty Wars, there is much more...Maybe you should read more about it, you ignorant"
Typical nerd speech as you see

What's wrong with the sci-fi and fantasy so that the authors focus on the story, forgetting about everything else. If author is trying to bring something out of reality, then the nerds are usually dissatisfied (for example, aliens speak English in Star Gate)

Please talk about actual book-related examples and not bad american tv shows.

""Nerd""
Prove me that you aren't a basement dwelling fatass. Also my point is still valid, you didn't disprove it

>actual book-related examples
But i don't read sci-fi mate.
>Prove me that you aren't a basement dwelling fatass.
I don't read sci-fi or fantasy. That's it.
>Also my point is still valid
No it isn't/ It isn't point to valid about sorry. You talk like "THERE IS GOOD SCI FI I DARE YOU". I dare you, any Star Wars fag will say something like that.

> its bad but I don't read it enough to even use one literary example
Great job user

You don't need to eat shit to understand it's shit.

> food analogies
Am I on /v/?

bump

Harold Bloom tried to write his own sci-fi fanfic about Voyage to Arcturas. Plus there's the existence of Dhalgren. Also, Gravity's Rainbow is sci-fi, and even if you disagree with that Pynchon's written less ambiguous SFF. And then there's Borges.
Tragedy is a genre.

Tragedy is a form not genre, baka.

>Harold Bloom tried to write his own sci-fi fanfic about Voyage to Arcturas. Plus there's the existence of Dhalgren. Also, Gravity's Rainbow is sci-fi, and even if you disagree with that Pynchon's written less ambiguous SFF. And then there's Borges.

I've read Harry Potter in 14. So? It doesn't make sci-fi more then moneymaking from nerds.

Because anime is great

Fucking retards. Try growing up with a single mother and the thousand boyfriends she's had over the years, you privileged normalfag cunts. My shit is so beyond the possibility of being unfucked that it's not even funny

Why would I want to embrace reality when I can have an ideal world inside my head?

>Tragedy is a form not genre
That's not what wikipedia says, bucko.
>I've read Harry Potter in 14. So?
Yeah. So? I'm finding it difficult to see what you think you mean, user.
t. enlightened Spaniard

anime is Veeky Forums

Is that the anime about the girl who reads books all the time? Because that pic is fucking hilarious

>science fiction is shit
>But i don't read sci-fi mate

>Tragedy is a form of drama based on human suffering that invokes an accompanying catharsis or pleasure in audiences
are you retard?
>I'm finding it difficult to see what you think you mean, user.
My point is, we all do some nerd shit when we are kids\young adults. Why Pynchon or Bloom can't?
===>

Stop typing like a smelly brazilian.