/rejectionletter/ thread

>/rejectionletter/ thread

Everybody post publisher rejection notices and rate other peoples'

>"Hey! Just finished reading your submission in full. I think that you're a talented storyteller, and the structure of the story was actually quite sophisticated in its transition into that central flashback, and then transitioning back into the central 'real time' narrative. That said, I think, regretfully, I'm going to have to pass. I was a bit on the fence, but ultimately I felt like the story didn't come together emotionally––and at the ending, it lacked a punch. I felt I knew about the characters; I knew a little bit about what they did, but I didn't really feel close to them emotionally. I also felt that much of the prose had a kind of rough draft quality. That said, I do feel that you're onto something in writing, and may ultimately have a talent for writing a kind of minimal Raymond Carver-esque story. That said, I didn't feel that you got there here. Sorry and thanks sincerely for sending the piece."

>I also felt that much of the prose had a kind of rough draft quality

The dream's over kid, get it up

looks like a template, that's sad

Might be. Did seem like it rang true for elements of my specific story, though--the central flashback and the Raymond Carver comparison.

>He actually gets advice in his rejection letters

Mine always just read 'no sorry, better luck next time', if I even get a rejection and not just resounding silence.

>Still trying to get published after 10 rejections

How much of a joke am I?

Lol many acclaimed authors boast about their stacks of rejection slips before their first commercial success. You could genuinely be aweful at writing, but might as well keep trying since it appears to be the norm.

What y'all writing about?

like JK Rowling for example

>Greetings! We here at Penguin Publishing thought your book was incredible and artistically sublime and we want to publish it at your soonest convenience. Attached is a cheque for 100000 dollars just to prove we mean it. Compared to you, Joyce is a fucking hack.

There you go. Oh, you wanted rejection letters... Well, I don't have any of those. Sorry

why not hire and editor and self publish instead

Because self publishing is to real publishing what masturbation is to sex.

It depends on your goals, if you're seeking validation from an established publisher do you and get it done through them.
If you just want to write and have people read your work, you're better off self publishing and shilling your work / growing a fanbase yourself

LOL

So really like masturbation and sex.

Precisely, its the best of both worlds

>only 10 rejections

rofl kid, I have an inbox full of rejections. Rejections from jobs, rejections from publication, rejections from women, rejections from friends. I literally have not gotten a single e-mail with anything positive in it since December.

fucking contemporary obsession with emotional connection as if there's nothing else worth dealing with in fiction

i zozzled hard

Cool story bro, but no publisher reads the full manuscript just to reject it. They have easier ways to tell if it's got potential or not.

oh goodness, show some if true.

None of my rejections are interesting. They're 99% forms, and one that gave feedback that basically just said, "i like it but not the right fit."

None of my acceptances are really interesting either.

I only have had one reply, which was along the lines of "good story idea." I threw the novel away, was a terrible effort. I'm glad I used a fake name.

Sorry to break it to you buddy, but your test results came back...

If you're published, the jerking off is
deeper and fuller.

More please.

>They have easier ways to tell if it's got potential or not.

Such as?

>We'd love to publish your story but this month was actually the greatest submission period ever recorded in literary history. Had you sent us a story at literally any other point in time, you would have been accepted immediately, but, as noted, the earth-shattering quality of work this quarter precludes us from any standard publishing practice, which, unfortunately, literally forces us to exclude your story. We are actually weeping because of the sacrifice we have to make by not including you. But feel free to resubmit whenever you feel like it!
repeat for 27 months in a row

>tfw you've gotten rejected so much that you retreat away from the world and into literature

It is mai laife

>back before DFW lost all the weight

I read some editor's interview a while ago in which she described the process. What matter the most are the opening and the closing lines, the reader will always look at those first and with experience, you can tell the writer's level just by those two. The vast majority of drafts get rejected straight off the bat. If those are ok, then next she'd read the whole first page. If it works, then they'd next take a chapter somewhere near the middle of the book and read that. By this point, like 99% of submissions have been rejected. But if it still seems good, then it's at this point that they will start to read the whole thing. And if they actually finish too, then it's almost certain that an offer of some kind will be presented.

They get thousands of submissions every year, but only a small percentage is ever published, so they will definitely not even try to read them all. Because most are absolute garbage. Wasting hours of working time to read a manuscript only for it to end up rejected basically means the agent has fucked up.