Tell me Veeky Forums, are we ever going to travel through star systems or are we doomed to die here?

Tell me Veeky Forums, are we ever going to travel through star systems or are we doomed to die here?

we? no, our robots sure.

So, you don't believe transhumanism will permit us to live long enough to perform such travels?
Or do you mean that we'll all be dead before we have the technology needed to get there and only robots will be left?

Both. First the latter then the former with the help of God.

Maybe.
But once I earn my PhD, I will NOT REST until we're able to at least colonize our solar system and be well on our way to getting to Alpha Centauri in a reasonable window of time.
You have my word and my dedication.

>transhumanism will permit us to live long enough to perform such travels

No need.

>build interstellar probe from the atomic level on up, via nanotechnology
>this ship is composed of machine "cells", designed to both compute and "digest" matter to create copies of itself, like hot-rodded brain cells, but infinitely tougher, more flexible and smaller than living cells
>they can also create other types of machine "cells", and even organic cells
>interstellar probe is only a few grams in mass
>use enormous EM accelerator to launch it at nearby star (or stars)
>leaves solar system at an appreciable percentage of light speed
>sacrifices part of its mass to decelerate (again, in the grams, due to its tiny size)
>upon reaching nearby star, first mission is to build a transmitter from a captured asteroid or comet it "eats" and establish data link to "home"
>then build more duplicates of itself to launch at more stars (a la Von Neumann)
>it will never be necessary to send more than one successful probe...all it needs to "build" another civilization (likely to be a Matrioshka Brain) around the target star (whether its biological, or more likely, virtual) is information from the data link to "home"
>galaxy and universe eventually enveloped by this machine "organism", either at light speed, or something faster, it that's at all possible
>this is, of course, unless the AI uncovers the truth about base reality and learns how to create universes on its own, negating the need to expand indefinitely into our universe, in favor of building one of its (our) own

Should be possible in ~100 years, definitely 1000.

>build
yeah, just build it, I guess its so easy even a brainlet like you could do it

And you really think people won't want to go there themselves?
I mean, idk dude, it's more than probable it's going to end exactly like the race to the moon, but instead of being between states/countries, it'll be between huge corporations, whether it'll be google or huawei or samsung
Same for VR, I don't see matrix as a probable end goal for us

Thanks friend, hope you succeed

If it's scientifically possible, it's eventually doable. I gave myself a nice 100 - 1000 year buffer.

>And you really think people won't want to go there themselves?

Due to the impracticality of actually traveling there, they'll simply have to settle for a VR construct of whatever star system is sent back by our probes.

So what. We settle for phony reconstructions all the time. It's almost certain you've never actually heard Elvis Presley sing...all you've ever hear are analog or digital reconstructions of his voice. When you pay for a movie, you're paying to sit in a big, dark room and watch information be projected on a screen. When you talk on a phone, you're not talking to anybody...you're talking to a hunk of plastic, glass and silicon. Etc.

just make an AI that makes it - heard of machine learning b4?

do you fucking retards just hide around until this kind of fucking trash gets posted, and then start to roleplay? please fuck off, roleplay somewhere else, it's fucking digusting

>Roleplay
>But he's actually roleplaying Neo-Nostradamus
Hypocrite, you don't know what is going to happen in the future, because it is the FUCKING FUTURE.
You're the only brainlet here roleplaying.
RRRRRKKKKKEEEEETTTTT!!!!!

what the fuck are you talking about? no one cares about your scifi spasms you brainlet faggot

>no one cares about your scifi spasms you brainlet faggot
Mhm...
>*looks at , looks at *
What the fuck are YOU talking about?
You cared enough to deliberately link 10 posts, write and then post and post about the WHOLE thread.
It sure seems like you cared, fucking hypocritical faggot.
>RRRRRKKKKKEEEEETTTTT!!!!!
Yet again.
Don't get back up this time, I doubt you have enough teeth left after that pimp-slapping.

are you 5
I don't give a shit about your scifi spasms, that's exactly why I'm telling you to take them somewhere else.

>Still caring enough to post three times
Apparently you're the childish one, literally trying to get the last post.
Good thing I have no self-respect and just enjoy shoving my metaphorical fist up your proverbial carbon compactor.
>Don't get back up this time, I doubt you have enough teeth left after that pimp-slapping.
Seriously, you won't be able to pay for the orthodontic work in a minute.
Stay down, faggot, stay down.

I'm too stunned by the way you write to think of anything to say. Do you practice? It just looks perfectly crafted honestly. If you could write something a big longer that would make amazing pasta.

You can thank a decade of Warcraft emotefighting for my chiseled rhetoric and rock-hard puns.

>chiseled rhetoric and rock-hard puns
uhh no. it's autistic nonsense, of the kind that makes anyone rage instantly. you know, great pasta.

>uhh no. it's autistic nonsense, of the kind that makes anyone rage instantly. you know, great pasta.
Yeah:
>chiseled rhetoric and rock-hard puns
See Cicero, that's basically all he did.

This entire thread is fucking disgusting. I reported each and every post.

This makes me happy, deep within the cockles of my autism.

It depends on the outcome of WWIII, if we are able to kill off the Jews then we will inherit the universe. If the Jews win we will die as slaves on this planet generation after generation warring one with another ceaselessly until the end finally comes for us all.

>fucking digusting

You're a very creative and unique individual.

Your grey-haired parents in the living room upstairs must be proud.

You announced your report in the filename. Reported.

That's just how the file was named when I saved it. I swear.

Dumb broad, the moons made of fucking cheese, imagine the amount of people you could feed with 7.342×1022 kg of space-cheese?

>ww3
>believing it would happen at all, and even if it did, that people would be aware of it and it wouldn't be something completely low-key à la cold war
Wait, isn't this board supposed to be filled with smart people?

It will be a magic tunnel and it will go to the moon.

>tfw the universe is so incredibly massive that it would be arrogant of us to assume there isn't a an intelligent pizza species out there somewhere
>tfw the universe is so incredibly spread out that the chances of humanity ever coming into contact with them is near zero
Why do we live in the cruelest universe?

Well I fucking hope that these pizza people discriminate hawaiian-pizza people really hard
They deserve to be put into camps and die a horrible and painful death for being born with pineapple slices on them

things that can't physically exist don't just exist because of high possibility.

would pizza people put other pizza persons in the ovens?

>1400 A.D. : Are we ever going to travel through this ocean ?

>1800 A.D. : Are we ever going to travel through the sky ?

>1900 A.D. : Are we ever going to travel through the space ?

>1960 A.D. : Are we ever going to travel to the Moon ?

>1970 A.D. : Are we ever going to travel to Mars?
>1980 A.D. : Are we ever going to travel to Mars?
>1990 A.D. : Are we ever going to travel to Mars?
>2000 A.D. : Are we ever going to travel to Mars?
>2010 A.D. : Are we ever going to travel to Mars?

As beautiful as it's idea is, this picture is scary as hell.

Imagine being one of those people there.

Only the ocean is actually accessible through small scale technology.

Flying is a large scale technology, expensive but affordable once in a while by middle class people.

Space is a gargantuan scale technology which only a few dozen people have experienced.

Getting to the Moon is something that only one nation, under god, indivisible, and 12 individuals, have ever done.