If I just ignore Hume's Law, it doesn't exist

>If I just ignore Hume's Law, it doesn't exist

Wow, truly the greatest thinker of this generation.

this is a science and math board, philosophers belongs on

Hume was basically a baby-tier solipsist. pretty easy to just shout "can't prove that logically" at people.
Sam Harris at least tries to work within a reasonable, even if not logically provable, framework. That being said, his moral theory is shit.

1. he was great in zoolander
2. Hume's Law is at the level of "what if we're all just in the matrix LMAO", totally valid but also a pointless circle jerk

Way to miss the point. Explain how morality can exist without an observer.

Okay, we're gunna take Forms and call them Concepts, morals are comprised of Concepts, prove me wrong.
>muuuuuh Platonic realism

Way to miss the point. Explain why that is an interesting question and you're not just circle jerking like I said. I'm not going to define morality for you

>Forms
>objective

lmao

>Explain why that is an interesting question and you're not just circle jerking like I said.

Because all you're doing is begging the question when you call your morals objective, even if I agree with them. Why not just be honest?

Not an argument. ;)

>Way to miss the point
oh the irony
>Explain how morality can exist
it can't. it's a useful fiction, like free will.

>it can't. it's a useful fiction, like free will.
>he doesn't have free will
that's too bad for you

>it can't

hahaha oh wow

>>he doesn't have free will
I'm not a "he".

Harris doesn't say his morals are objective, just that in theory they would be objective if we could understand every factor at play. How is that begging the question?

>free will
lol ok. go to bed dennett

Utilitarianism is objectively the moral theory which leads to the greatest pleasure for everyone.

Science and philosophy are not separate disciplines, stop limiting yourself by creating the division

is that ben stiller

please enlightened soul, tell me who found the mercy molecule.

Passing the buck. Why ought one seek the greatest pleasure for everyone?

it's daniel radcliffs less successful uncle

because that maximizes your personal enjoyment of life

even if morality exists only with an observer, the observer can just be the concept of morality in of itself. it can be self aware.

Just because something doesn't exist objectively doesn't mean it does not exist. Our perceptions are literally everything. If I convince my coworkers that my boss raped me, and the perception is that he raped me, then he is a rapist. You're arguing that morals exist when they already do on an intersubjective level.

>Hume's law
>"Don't even try"
Seems legit.

maximizing pleasure does not maximize personal enjoyment of life

>then he is a rapist.
nah, you're just a liar

this pretty much sums up why OP is a fag

Wrong. That would be egoism

Begone thot

actually

Confirmed t. brainlets for not being able to understand/appreciate philosophy.

>Explain how morality can exist without an observer.

Uh it doesn't, but we're observers. Morality doesn't objectively exist, but in a broad sense we humans understand what is beneficial social behavior and what is deleterious social behavior, and roughly carve out a moral code based on that. The range of different moralities is pretty wide, many are optimized around certain ideals like 'freedom', but none are perfect and some are simply shit.

science doesn't answer philosophical questions numbnuts

shut the fuck up and use the appropriate board next time faggot

morality is as useless as religion
they are just primitive ways of structuring ideas

>triggered

>faggot
Why the homophobia?

>morality is as useless as religion
>they are just primitive ways of structuring ideas
What about ethics?

Ethics are a literal meme

Ethics and aesthetics are the same thing yo. Choosing values and rules for conduct is like choosing your favorite artist, the only role for logic is in helping to draw out and clarify moral intuitions and evaluations.

confirmed philosophylet who thinks his bullshit is relevant or interesting