What would it take for free will to exist...

What would it take for free will to exist? How can something make choices based on what it wants if it has no outside influences to dictate what it wants? Like theoretically what would it take for legitimate free will to exist? Ive heard of divine inspiration but wouldn’t still count as outside influence one has no control over?

It is impossible.
The universe would need to be non-causal (warning; neither random, just 'free willing') on a subatomic level.

>Like theoretically what would it take for legitimate free will to exist?
First you need a rigorous definition of free will.

Not OP. But my 'definition' would be:
1. A thing or being has free will if a Laplace Demon can not predict its behaviour.

And I might add a second condition:
2. This unpredictability can not be explained by pure 'randomness'. The 'thing' can behave 'freely' but it is capable of taking information from outside of itself, and thus it can behave in a pseudo-causal manner.

>I define free will as being pseudocausal. I wont define what that is though :)
You're a retard. Stop posting about retarded topics with even more retarded posts.

With pseudocausal I mean an act or event that is produced by both the 'free-will' input and the external input.
A freewilling entity isolated from the rest of the universe (this is absurd of course) could not act pseudocausally.

It's fucking amazing that you can vomit this nonsense and think anyone would think it means anything

It only makes sense on an imaginary level.
I think it is absurd too, in our reality.
I do not believe in free will.
I am trying to prove its non-existence.

Just dont talk about things you dont know anything about. You just litter.

And what do you know about this?
You believe in free will?
Because I want to see your genius explanation for it.

I think therefore I am

That is a shit argument that isn't even arguing for anything related to free will in the first place. You can accept that argument's conclusion and it still wouldn't say anything about free will. Its conclusion is only that you exist, not that you exist and have free will.

>What would it take for free will to exist?
Magic

If you do not give any arguments, we can assume that you merely can not understand what that user is saying.

Just because you do not get it, it does not mean that it is nonsense.

Life is not sitting and watching a movie play, we are able to shape it in certain ways, this means we have free will.

You can act, you can not act, the choice is up to you.

But your actions are based on your environment. And are effectively predetermined.

Let me tell you the story of the tiny animalcule who wanted to understand the universe. He couldn't, because he was only a teensy animalcule, a fact that he resolutely failed to understand. In point of fact, he lacked the cognitive abilities and physical perceptions necessary to understand even his own tiny portion of the universe. Then he discovered Veeky Forums, which only made his situation worse. Soon he immersed himself in a sea of pretension, awash in nonsense phrases such as "free-will" and "pseudo-causal". Then he died, and nobody noticed.

you too

>the choice is up to you.
No it isn't. The only reason "your" sentence could be produced in the first place is because you have an organ in your head that lets that behavior happen. It's not like every time someone has a thought or says something that they go into a big box of thoughts and words and handpick each piece of what they're going to think or say in advance. The contradiction in that sort of arrangement is clear immediately because how would you know which thoughts or words to pick out? Right, you'd need to be informed by yet another layer of thoughts. And if you claim you were personally responsible for that further back thought layer, then you'd need to explain how you knew what you were doing when you picked out that layer too, ad infinitum. And that's just the level of already assembled words and thoughts, what about the "decision" to put certain sounds together to make those words? How do you know which sounds go together to make which words, and how do you know which pace to make those sounds at, and how do you know what the consequences of different sounds are nearby other sounds to make sure you don't produce the appearance of a different word you weren't intending to speak?
If these notions are traced back far enough there will be an eventual realization the part where "you" are orchestrating all this is complete nonsense. The self part of the equation here is an after the fact narrative of convenience that wraps up all these little mechanical details into one fairy tale about a magical "self" character who goes around thinking thoughts and deciding decisions that were in reality already thought and decided before the writing of his story of super-physical orchestration had even begun. If "you" have a stroke, seizure, or some other brain problem (or just take the right variety of psychoactive compound) "you'll" quickly see how everything "you" take for granted as "your" thoughts and decisions have very little to do with "you" in reality.

We are all just factors in an 11th dimensional equation called the Universe.

Free will is just absolutely hilarious. If you think about all the concepts people have come up with this is near the top of the wtf were they thinking list. It just can't make sense no matter what.

Although it was thought up at a time when humans hadn't fully realized their own situation. Before they had even properly theorized existence itself. Even today though not everyone understands this but what you see is not the thing that is. We understand everything enough to know that the thing, photons, and your imagination are all different things.

Imagine how crazy people's sense of things used to be. Without realizing you were just in your head, you mistake the real world for what's in your head. You have no proper disconnect. So you don't realize the tv you choose to watch or not watch is something you've already established in your imagination.

We have a better understanding of cause and effect, and what is objective and subjective. While we can still gain control and willpower, we don't control the world with our minds. We don't even control our minds with our minds.

To have free will is to break past the (you) that is within the whole of your self and take more control over what is your self. To be able to freely manipulate your own desires, emotions, memories, feelings etc. But in this sense it becomes synonymous with simply being free of will.

To be free of will, that isn't a concept what's existence itself defies all logic. It just means having the ability to free yourself from everything we have realized exclude free will from possibility.

All your thoughts and feelings and memories and your life and everything that is out of your control. Determinism and randomism, all these things make the idea of free will impossible. But if you change the idea of free will to a state of being in which your will is not being coerced by the rest of your psyche, for that to exist, you just have to do that. Do it however you want, drugs or a back massage. Just relax