Study stats

>study stats
>you can feel all those theoretical physicists and mathematicians view you as a peer when you say that.
>all the psychology and medicine chicks want to be sympathetic to you and/or ask really nicely for stats help (that's only beta if you can't say no, otherwise it's just a plus)
>doctor want's to be my mate because he has occasional stats questions, so he really takes the time (also on my medical issues), gives good quality medical service

And that all happened within a few months of being able to say "I study stats" or at least "I will study stats soon". It feels like the whole world likes and respects you when you say it. It's an incredible difference compared to when I did business administration.

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/list/math.PR/recent
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Homophobic_slurs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>physicists
>mathematicians
>...
>statisticians

>peers

*breathes in*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Why do people always put stats on a pedestal? It's literally mean median and mode and one other m word i cant remember.

>all the psychology and medicine chicks want to be -sympathetic- to you and/or ask really nicely for stats help (that's only beta if you can't say no, otherwise it's just a plus)
Translation error, meant to say they want to be likable/nice

Also
>write schedule in spring schedule thread
>nobody laughs about your modules or calls them memes

Well, just last week there was a mathematician (MSc finished, working now) and he said at some occasion "that's typical about US mathematicians" and meant me and him. I almost came in my pants.

As I said, I studied business administration before. Nobody wanted to be in a group with me.

You forgot to mention data science which is a hot meme field right now.

>being replaceable by microsoft excel
Am I missing something?

I don’t know man. I think there will always be a need for us statisticians. Like people that that ring all the doorbells and get all the surveys filled out. Or counting all the defect products at a factory. It is also very commonly necessary to calculate a mean, some big companies sometimes even need to compute a median or this quantile stuff.

>mathematicians
80% mental masturbastion no one care about.
Still thinks that the world is deterministic.

>statisticians
Study randomness in the world like real alpha. Literally called the logic and inference of all sciences. Spawned many useful theories in many different fields, an important part in AI research which is called the future of humanity.

You are right, they are not on peers but cucked by statisticians.

Certainly as a med student I wish I had a bro statistician to ask questions and offer advice to in turn.

>one other m word i cant remember
range

>Literally called the logic and inference of all sciences
>Literally doesn't know what "literally" means
>Literally doesn't know what either logic, inference, nor science are
>Literal stemlet

*Mrange

moment
This. In my department, nobody respects the stats graduate students. Real Analysis, Analytic Number Theory, Algebraic Geometry and Algebraic Number Theory are some of the (optional) pre-reqs for the various stats phd degrees. None of the current stats students have taken anything other than the babby version (subgraduate level, i.e., sophomore/junior-undergraduate) of real analysis. ALL of them cheat in order to pass (with less than a 50%) graduate real analysis. They're ALL brainlets, each and every one of them.

>Hurr Gamma distribution
>Hurr Bayesian methods
>Hurr actuarial science
>Hurr stochastic methods
Literally brainlet math. Literally just calculus.

t. undergrad that doesn't know what measure theory is

I'm in the same boat OP, actually.
I love being a statistician. Did my BS and MS in Math.

Btw serious question, has anyone here taken a statistical mechanics class? I want to take one as part of my stats PhD. What's it like?!

Most of the professors in my Biostats program have an MS Math. Many of them have PhDs in math. The only one i know of, without a graduate math degree, earned her stats degrees from Harvard.

Going from Math to Biostats, I'm using topology and dynamical systems to study neuroscience. Suck a dick.

It's no secret that maths students go into stats programs because they want to cash in on something easy or want to make more money than they would as an academic or because they weren't strong enough at real maths.

stats is a very shallow, accessible field compared to other parts of mathematics.

it's just physics but it has a couple of distributions

it isn't really to do with stats at all.

you won't be calculating any estimators or doing much modelling. you'll just work through a bunch of dense integrals with lots of constants and labels.

>stats is a very shallow, accessible field compared to other parts of mathematics.
ding ding ding!

brainlet

>not deterministic
>indeterminstic
you're an edgy one aren't you?

these

>statisticians
>Spawned many useful theories in many different fields

user, you're confusing stats with math, don't worry this is a normal phase for all brainlets who attempt to learn about things too advanced for them. But you need to remember that people will laugh at you if you continue to say stupid shit.

>doesn't know stats is a branch of math

there's a reason they're different degrees, at the undergrad and grad levels

>doesn't know stats is the least mathy-est field in math

Stats is literally one of the only fields in math that discourages you from starting from axiomatic first principles, and prompts you to use """empirical data""" to derive """hypotheses""" for everything, instead of crafting actual PROOFS.

>he didn't know about the theortical and mathematical statistics

Measure theory literally is just calculus. Oh boy it's a sigma algebra! How advanced! Martingales and conditional probabilities? Oh my!

stats isnt real math dipshit, its just number crunching that somehow manages to be less respectable than basic arithmetic

don't be an idiot. most of real analysis for e.g. quals in a PhD is about measure theory.

It should legit be only 15% of the qualifying exams you take after your second semester in grad school. Nobody has "measure theory" as their primary research focus. It's a tool that's useful for measuring things. Beyond that, it's one of the smallest hurdles in a rigorous maths PhD program.

there's tons of people with measure theory of finite measure as their primary research interest, you know?

There are also a ton of people seriously studying hypergeometric series and lemniscatic and equianharmonic functions, despite that being out of fashion/use since the late 19th century.

>going door to door asking questions
>Literally something sub 90 iq niggers can do on minimum wage

And you are actually proud of this?

arxiv.org/list/math.PR/recent

No serious mathematician respects your field. Trust me.

>No serious mathematician respects your field. Trust me.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

my field is algebraic geometry though. I'm just not an autist about it

t.undergrad

It is? Okay. Define the local fundamental group, and connect this with links and singularities of algebraic varieties.

uhh it's the fundamental group of a (good) neighborhood around an isolated singularity of a germ. it's trivial iff the variety is nonsingular at v.

I mean, I'm still a student. you don't need to be questioning me just because you want to feel entitled to be an asshole to people who study measure theory

do your own homework brainlet

>Only took first year stats the post

What you're saying is equivalent to saying mathematicians are useless because we have calculators.

Are you this much of an asshole in real life?

>being this bootyblasted on Veeky Forums

>I was just pretending to be retarded

>classic user hiding the fact that he is unlikable behind a facade of trolling

I'm gonna retract that post, I spent the last few hours trying to get biometrics and I still don't understand shit.

Maybe it's easier if you know actual math.

>t. assblasted mathfags
See pic related

>mathfags
Why the homophobia?

is this post-ironic?

What is homophobic about it?

>What is homophobic about it?
Fag is a homophobic slur.

>Fag is a homophobic slur.
No it is not. Perhaps English is not your first language?

They're right actually, Veeky Forums has a long history of homophobia. The "fag" suffix that you see here actually comes from the word "faggot", a homophobic slur often used on /b/ and other boards.

No, that post is ironic.

It's also a unit of measurement for bundles of sticks, and slang for cigarette.

idk, I'd be more offended at being called a cancer stick than gay desu.

>I am so unoffended by things I don't even see why fag is an offensive word

>I transcend common knowledge colloquial english

I hope this is a "hurr durr, I was only pretending to be retarded" thread

I legit don't give a fuck what you think about me. Perhaps you should learn how to not get upset over words written by anonymous mathematicians.

>a homophobic slur often used on /b/ and other boards
It's also a term of endearment on /b/.

>I am so illiterate that I couldn't even deduce that fag was still being called offensive

>how many levels of irony are you on my man
(you) because you kept at it

>No it is not. Perhaps English is not your first language? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Homophobic_slurs

this meme needs to die

Why the homophobia?

That’s completely false my dude.

this thread is full of fags lol

Reddit leave

Only browse /r/electroniccigarettes famalama.

tip top b8

Why the faggotry?

Well then Schlomo tell me more about your software!