The Uglies Of Our Universe

Everybody is talking about the beauty of the things that follow from the laws of nature in our universe, the beauty that is in the laws of nature themselves, the beauty of how everything works together, the beauty of the tidiness in our universe that are the laws of nature that all objects obey deterministically, etc.
I generally feel the same, it is a good feeling to think about the universe, kind of the same feeling as if you think about a beautiful car or other design piece.

But is there also ugliness in our universe? What are the uglies?

Stochastic processes

>What are the uglies?

That's for things that are deformed, in uncanny valley, and/or diseased normally. They normally need to be relatable. You normally don't have that occurring in nature for things humans can't relate to like stars and such. We can relate to animals, so animals that fit those criteria above are normally perceived as ugly.

For things like cars, the sexy ones were literally designed with the human form in mind. That has been going on for so long that people can relate to them on a more personal level. So, when you have an ugly car, the effect can be profound.

Even that stuff can be beautiful.

Its all subjective. Rape is easily considered ugly. But we're it not for rape, the human race would not have survived, so it's also beautiful. Everything is everything, or something

I'm note sure if they even exist. Most would be predictable if we knew everything. E.g. if we knew the air velocity, air density, humidity, composition, ... of every cubic inch in our atmosphere, we might be able to predict the weather with almost certainty, and if we knew the properties of every atom in those cubic inches and about every elementary particle in those atoms, we could predict it with 100% certainty. It's not realistic that we will ever have all data, but that doesn't mean that there aren't objects that are deterministically obeying laws

>But is there also ugliness in our universe? What are the uglies?
proofs by exhaustion

Well the physics of galaxy formation and evolution is pretty ugly, even if that picture looks nice.

Nothing is ugly in science.

Most of space, probably. Nebulae would be much less beautiful up close. Also diseases are ugly

t. high school student

Disproofs by counterexample.

t. undergrad

Take a look at your room. That's part of the universe, too.

Humans.

Don't you think simplicity and efficiency are beautiful?

Differential Algebraic Equations

>But is there also ugliness in our universe? What are the uglies?

Have you ever taken a physics course? Anything that does not have all the symmetries is basically shit. I really wish the universe was just made of spheres.

The universe is expanding, we're never going to reach distant galaxies, we might not ever colonize other stars, eventually everything will succumb to entropy and if by some miracle human survives to that point we will die off with the universe and be eternally forgotten.

For all we know there has been an infinite amount of greater civilizations throughout the universe, but they have faced the same fate as we will.

But that's long term. Short term, death is inevitable and when you do die you will be completely forgotten in a few generations.

The universe isn't built for humans, and we're not going to conquer it. We're a tiny little growth in a tiny little part of the universe, and we finally realize that we were simply an afterthought in the universe, the last human would have died, and nothing would have changed from when there were no humans.

There. Four uglies in our universe.

turbulent flow is an ugly

It's ugly because of all the estimations and assumptions we have to make. The actual physics might be beautiful if we had more sensitive instruments to measure with

(It is)

When I close my eyes and imagine shooting off into space in all directions, the earth dissipating into a tiny blue dot, then a point of light, then nothingness, it makes me feel one with all humankind, one with all life, with the rocks and oceans and sky, it’s both peaceful and exhilarating.

I feel nothing but love for everything on this planet, and the universe as a whole. Everything else is just so far away.